Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Superman Jet Rally CANCELLED

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Superman Jet Rally CANCELLED

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Superman Jet Rally

It's not just the size of the runway that matters ... many a flying field that has a suitable runway is still unsuitable for a decent jet event due to restrictions in the area in which you can fly - e.g. if you have to do hard crancking turns on landing or takeoff to avoid obstacles or "don't overly the endangered hole in the ground that's 400' off the end of the runway" nonsense that some of our government agencies have imposed on us, that can substantially cripple a site as far as a jet event is concerned.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Dennis Crooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I flew the old DF SR-71 at the old St. Charles, IL field which was 500 feet. It used absolutely all of it (maybe a little more). That's how I established the minimum. Not sure about the turbine powered one. It will have more push but will likely be heavier coming off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53803.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	324015  
Old 09-14-2005, 10:05 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, I flew the old DF SR-71 at the old St. Charles, IL field which was 500 feet.
I think the guy told me that Dennis didn't like landing his SR-71 on the shorter runways.

EDIT... I just realized you are Dennis. Guess my source was wrong.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: DaveJohansen

What is the ideal size for a runway when putting on a jet rally?
Long... and wide.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 AM
rcav8tr

Based on this Past Heart of Ohio, 700ft would be a minimum. The General had no problem getting his F-18E in and out there. I believe Terry is going to look at adding another 300ft to make it an even 1000ft. So 75ft by 1000ft should be plenty.

Ed
Old 09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Dennis Crooks

I would agree that 75' X 1000' is adequate for most all model flying as long as everything goes as planned. A real draw for Superman is that there is essentially unlimited useable length in the event that you have a problem. It would be a real shame to relocate to a model field and remove this 'cushion' and possibly damage a model that could have been saved with a little more asphalt.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:23 AM
rcav8tr

Hi Sleddriver

I would agree that the extra asphalt at any of these events is a blessing. But if we are forced to use model fields over airports, there has to be some sort of upper limit on length. Otherwise the pilot fees at events are going to go up to pay for the longer runways. Just a wonderfully vicious circle.

Let's hope that the FAA personnel are having a good day when they make their final decsion. May be, if they rule in Superman's favour, we can all send them boxes of chocolates to show our appreciation?

Ed
Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Superman is now cancelled.... see Promark website for more info.

ET, if you have your ears on...the sky just fell.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw the news also [:'(]

Hopefully next year we'll be back on again ???
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that pretty much sucks, but find it hard to believe that Jerry could blame this on fellow modelers. It is not their fault. I understand his dissapointment, heck we all feel that way, but the last thing we need to do is divide the ranks at a time like this.
Anyone know about hotels near the Georgia Jets site?
Tommy
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM
ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Well that pretty much sucks, but find it hard to believe that Jerry could blame this on fellow modelers. It is not their fault. I understand his dissapointment, heck we all feel that way, but the last thing we need to do is divide the ranks at a time like this.

Tommy

I agree with you Tommy. He is taking a cheap shot on the messengers. I respect Jerry but I completely disagree with him on this one.

Following is from his web site:

SUPER JET WEEK 2005 CANCELED
Due to the actions of a few jet community modelers and the idiotic chatter on the internet (by a few self elected experts who know almost nothing of the true facts) the FAA has been backed into a corner and in turn rendered a decision to disapprove the Super Jet event 2005.
I think in time, with the help of the AMA and other responsible parties this situation can be resolved, but not in time for Super Jet Week 2005.
On a brighter note, Georgia Jets have been gracious enough to offer their club field and host a Super Jet Event South in the Atlanta area the same week in order to provide an alternate jet event. For information contact www.georgiajets.org for the details.
I apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this has caused sponsors, participants, spectators and vendors, but the FAA's decision just arrived within the hour Sept.14th 2005.
Thanks for your support for the previous 17 years
Old 09-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider
Superman is now cancelled.... see Promark website for more info.

Seems to me that Jerry's statement:

Due to the actions of a few jet community modelers and the idiotic chatter on the internet (by a few self elected experts who know almost nothing of the true facts) the FAA has been backed into a corner and in turn rendered a decision to disapprove the Super Jet event 2005.

is probably way off the mark. I fail to see how some "idiotic chatter on the internet" manages to back an agency as powerful as the FAA into a corner. This kinda ranks up there with the BS that Albert posted a while ago about how RAM was closing its doors because of the posts being made on RCU by one p'd off customer.

If some internet chatter can back the FAA into a corner, then Al Qaeda doesn't need to bother with any more hijackings etc - they can simply make some silly internet chatroom posts and render the FAA powerless such that all aviation in the USA comes to a complete standstill.

While it's perhaps human nature to look for some easy target to blame, prominent people do themselves no favors IMO when they make statements like this.

YMMV, which is fine.

Gordon

Old 09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

So.. where's ET Now....got aweful quite all of a sudden

Is it me or has the good ol' US of A gone down the crapper since GW took the helm [:@]...
C'mon now Todd, I expect better from you. I don't think this is GW's fault, just some smart alec FAA regional director who got her panties in a wad. Our apathetic attitude that is is seen in the AMA elections is reflected in our local and national elections as well, but I don't want to get into politics....[>:]
Anyways GW has better things to do this week...
And before I start getting nasty e-mails you have to admit it is a quite comical use of Photoshop, but I can't take credit for it
Tommy
Wasnt really implicating this problem is GW's fault, just how much things have changed in the US since his reign began... But, this is a RC forum, no politics ;-)
Old 09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This really sucks... my visits for the U.S. where just for attending this event.

Enrique

Old 09-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

All I wanna know is.................does this mean that BVM is not coming out with a new jet or what? No seriously, there is so much speculation on some major issues in this hobby/sport from a lot who really don't have all the facts and it does cause a distortion of certain issues primarly because the casual reader for the most part will not challenge what they are reading, lets all not forget this as well as any forum is a very powerful form of media. Each post no matter who is the author carries a fair amount of weight to the casual observer.

I was actually going to try and make Superman this year and this is all unfortunate. Hats off however to the Georgia gang for picking up the ball as I have heard its one heck of a facility there, looks like I'll try to hit this on the way back to FL instead.

Bryce
Old 09-14-2005, 11:48 AM
rcav8tr

Hey Guys

Before you go shooting the messenger, may be you should look at what was posted in some of the threads here on RCU. Some of theses posts basically advocated ignorring the FAA rules and regs. I wouldn't be surprised if they read that and said that's it. The personnel at the FAA don't live in the stone age and can read the internet just as well as any of us.

Ok, enough of that. Alternates for Superman are:

1) At the Georgia Jets site
2) ?
3) ?

Lets have some smaller events across the country to make up for the one big event we just lost.

Sincerely,
Ed
(My $.02 Canadian that's almost worth $.02 US!)

Old 09-14-2005, 11:50 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No kidden, you'd think they'd go more central to the Continent with such a big event. Sorry it's so far for you guys up north.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets have some smaller events across the country to make up for the one big event we just lost.
I'm hoping Fox Valley Aero Club (WindyCityJets) or Winamac get something together for our loss.

Both are central US & not too much farther from Metropolis.

Jeff Anderson / Tim Redelman please help us!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 PM
jet76
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: rcav8tr

Ok, enough of that. Alternates for Superman are:

1) At the Georgia Jets site
2) ?
3) ?

Sincerely,
Ed
(My $.02 Canadian that's almost worth $.02 US!)

1. Gorgia Jets
2. Winamac !
3.?

Tim are you out there? Help us out brother!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:17 PM
ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: jet76

1. Gorgia Jets
2. Winamac !
3.?

Tim are you out there? Help us out brother!

Ditto the WINAMAC...Tim if you have your ears on, please check your voice mail

Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While I do have to agree that you have some point there, I believe some people took the time to call and piss people off at the FAA some of those actually had good intentions in mind, but rocked the boat instea. We also gave some amunition to other NON RC folks who have nothing better to do than come and see how they can contribute. Do you recall the BITW issue where general aviation pilots where all over this forum just to cause trouble with the so-called near miss. Well if we start posting stuff about our rights to airports and all that, what do you think those people are going to do? They are going to get on the phone to the FAA or FBO and say "why can't I land at that airport that ONE week"?, even if they have NO INTENTION of actually doing so.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

is probably way off the mark. I fail to see how some "idiotic chatter on the internet" manages to back an agency as powerful as the FAA into a corner. This kinda ranks up there with the BS that Albert posted a while ago about how RAM was closing its doors because of the posts being made on RCU by one p'd off customer.

Gordon
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
ghost_rider

I really find Jerry’s statement to be out of character and wish he would withdraw it. Some of the people that posted here he referenced to as Idiots are those that have been supporting his events since inception.

If he really thinks that those that post here are idiots, then why did he not make the same statements about all the nice things said here about his event and the countless promotions posted here during the previously successful events?

FAA made the decision not to allow events at airports before it was ever posted on the Internet. He was aware of the facts and should have been more pro-active in finding the fate of his event instead of waiting till the last hours.

I challenge him to post any document from FAA that attributed their refusal to the chatter on the internet. The folks at TORKS posted a .pdf file of the FAA refusal letter on their website for all to read. Why not do the same here.

JMOHO. (Flack Jacket on…waiting for incoming)
Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Turbulence

While I do have to agree that you have some point there, I believe some people took the time to call and piss people off at the FAA some of those actually had good intentions in mind, but rocked the boat instea. We also gave some amunition to other NON RC folks who have nothing better to do than come and see how they can contribute. Do you recall the BITW issue where general aviation pilots where all over this forum just to cause trouble with the so-called near miss. Well if we start posting stuff about our rights to airports and all that, what do you think those people are going to do? They are going to get on the phone to the FAA or FBO and say "why can't I land at that airport that ONE week"?, even if they have NO INTENTION of actually doing so.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Gordon
Ralph
You hit the "nail on its head ".
Semper Fi
Old 09-14-2005, 12:58 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Turbulence

Turbulence

I have to agree that no one can blame this forum for the cancellation of superman. If that is the case you would see businesses around the world closing their doors if they listened to the people that chatted on the internet about them. The FAA has been taking a long hard look at the events being held around the country and systematically shutting them down one by one. This had nothing to do with the chatter on here. Look at the chatter about BV he should be bigger than Microsoft or out of business based on the chatter here, but he is neither. Why? Because this chatter does not matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I spent many years in the military and many years in city and county government and know somewhat how the system works. Basically if it does not benefit the man making the decisions monetarily and/or career wise you can sure as hell bet he is not going to care whether you are happy or not. He is going to listen to the people who can advance him or hurt him but not the little guy.

Turbulence,
when you say you BELIEVE people called the FAA, do you know for a fact people called them? Or are you speculating that people called. If someone called say, I KNOW that (insert name) called the FAA , but if not sure don't mention it, because you are contributing to the same thing you are trying to prevent by speculating and theorizing about what happened or is going to happen.

I try and stay off of these forums until I can't take it anymore and have to speak my peace.

Patrick.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:02 PM
ghost_rider

And from BVM site:

"
NOTICE SUPER JET WEEK '05 HAS BEEN CANCELLED
The FAA declined a very professional and respectful request to use the Metropolis, IL airport as we have done for the past 17 years. Closing single runway facilities for "Non Aviation" activities is one of the issues.
We hope that further negotiations may change this situation in the long term. These events have proven to be beneficial to modelers and the communities that host them.

Our cause has been injured in part by irresponsible chatter on forums such as RCU.
Some jet model groups are offering plan B's for the same time slot.
BVM has not committed to anything yet.
Bob Violett "

Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE with uncle Bob on this one.

Show me proof to support item marked in red above.

(Double Flack Jacket on…waiting for incoming)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.