Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JMA - WHY BOTHER ????????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JMA - WHY BOTHER ????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 AM
whitcombe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JMA - WHY BOTHER ????????

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A GENUINE REASON FOR PAYING £25 TO JOIN THE JET MODELLERS ASSOCIATION?

I JOINED THE JMA AT A COST OF £25. I KNOW THIS IS NOT MUCH MONEY, BUT FOR WHAT? I HAVE ONLY BEEN TO ONE JET MEET THAT REQUIRED JMA MEMBERSHIP AND THAT WAS THE WROUGHTON MEET EARLIER THIS YEAR. I FOUND OUT THAT I COULD HAVE FLOWN THERE ANYWAY AS A GUEST OF THE SWINDON CLUB. ALL THE BEST JET MEETS I HAVE BEEN TO INCLUDING CLASSIC JETS WERE ONES WHICH DID NOT REQUIRE JMA MEMBERSHIP.

I PAID £25 FOR A MASS PRODUCED JMA PLASTIC CARD WHICH I HAVE BEEN USING TO GLASS MY AVONDS F15 !!!! SO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THIS £25 GOES ??

I HAVE HAD OVER 500 FLIGHTS WITH TURBINES 'SO I KNOW THE FRONT FROM THE BACK' AND I AM STILL AMAZED IF I EVER SEE THE JMA IN THE FOREGROUND ACTIVELY PROMOTING THE SPORT AT JET MEETS. THEY PROVIDE SO CALLED SAFETY ADVISORS AND FLIGHT LINE MARSHALLS WHICH IS SOMETHING THAT MOST PEOPLE WITH COMMON SENSE COULD CARRY OUT TO A SIMILAR STANDARD.

THE ST.ATHAN JET MEET IS THE MOST PROFESSIONAL RUN JET MEET I HAVE THE PLEASURE TO GO TO EVERY YEAR AND ITS ALL DONE WITHOUT ANY ASSISTANCE FROM THE SO CALLED JET MODELLERS ASSOCIATION. IT WAS RUN BY QUALIFIED AIRCRAFT TECHNICIANS AND FORCES PERSONNEL WHO KNOW HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND MOST OF ALL SAFELY. ALL THE FLYERS COME ALONG FOR ONE REASON, ITS A FUN, SAFE PROFESSIONALLY RUN MEETING FOR LIKE MINDED JET FLYERS.

SO COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE JMA HAS DONE FOR THEM IN ASSISTING AND PROMOTING THE SPORT AND ALSO WHERE OUR £25 GOES EVERY YEAR ????

TIM (PRO-ACTIVE JET FLYER ! )
Old 09-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Thruster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JMA - WHY BOTHER ????????

I will be surprised if you get any constructive response as I have heard many a member ask the same question for many a year now but no one ever acts on it.

Even at the AGM the question was dismissed as it was not on the agenda and the only issue they were interested in was the Rookie days and the 2 new aeroplanes they were going to use for the purpose. Getting new members was of more interest than existing ones.

Let’s hope people do respond to your question as this would help confirm JMA interest.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may get a better response if you change your post so that it's not all in capitals. Not only is an all-caps post considered the equivalent of shouting, but it's such a pain in the butt to read that many people who would otherwise read it and respond will simply ignore the post altogether.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Spartan Missile

Tim,

I am not a member of the JMA but have considered joining before the next AGM.

I think it is important that the UK Jet Fraternity have an independant lobby group that are able to protect their own inerests.

I would be interested to know if there are any UK Jet Jocks that work for the BMFA or have influence there.

e.g. Bad jet accident, adverse publicity, BMFA falls on us like a ton of bricks.
Get my drift ?

Common sense, safe practices and insurance are not always enough.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:37 AM
whitcombe

Sparten, why do you need to join the JMA ? Your insurance is through the BMFA. The JMA are not the orginizing body when it comes to turbine flying and operation, the flyers are. And the operation of the aircraft is governed by the terms of our BMFA insurance.

All I see is a group of resonable flyers who took it on them selves, in the early days, to nominate thenmselves as the so-called experts or font of knowledge. You don't see the JMA travelling around the jet meets with the Rookie boomerangs enticing flyers who are seriously interested in entering this side of the hobby. When they do, they charge for it at there own rookie day. £25 !!!!!! Money grabbers.

If someone in my club or at a jet meet wishes to know more about the hobby or possibly try before they buy then I have a nice friendly chat with them, help answer any questions and with the aid of a buddy lead let then have a careful, safe go.

And its free. I suspect most jet flyers would be happy to answer any questions asked by possible future jet pilots.

I am an aircraft technician by trade with over 11 years on fast jets and I promote safe operation of turbine aircraft where ever I go !!!

On Jet meets, most are run or organized with out the so calles assistance of the JMA because they are organized by the guys who go to all the jet meets anyway. So how can the JMA do a better job?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:33 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Hi ya Tim,

Your views have been voiced many times by current JMA and non-members for good a while now. Things certainly have gone stagnant and a bit of excitement needs to be put back in.

A few Years ago the was a "Fan flash" magazine which members used to get and from what I remember it was very interesting and reason why many people joined in the first place. But no one wants to be the editor for this magazine so now there is no magazine... Any takers for the post?

I do not agree with where the money has been spent in recent years although I do think the rookie idea is a good one. Chris Gregory who organises the meets works so hard for us members, he must put many hours in every year arranging meets for us all to enjoy. I know how difficult and time consuming it can be to arrange a jet meet on a proper runway as your St Athan guys do too.

With the exception of Chris G who without his efforts I would not join maybe we need to inject some enthusiasm and have a change of blood in the committee?

Jason

p.s I also use my JMA card for glassing wings

Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM
whitcombe

Hi Jason, i am glad ti see that yourself and Thruster (Ian) think along the same track as myself.
I believe the JMA should consist of pro-active jet flyers who's aim is to assist in the development and promotion of turbine flying.

I would like to see the JMA at most, if not all, jet meets around the country promoting the hobby and 'assisting' jet meet organisers in achieving their goals. I never see a stand with a bold banner giving out leaflets or talking to members of the public and promoting the hobby. They should also give advice and help whenever they are 'requested' and not push there way into the organization. Will the JMA please step forward and answer mine, and other jet flyers questions or will this be sidelined as its not on their AGENDA !!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:25 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the JMA is a stealth organisation. You cannot tell its there!
I have not bothered rejoining for several years and I have not found it detrimental. I agree with the point that we need a national body for UK jet modellers but we do not seem to have one (unless you plan to go to the jet masters). Tell me if I am being unfair but this is my personal perception of the situation.
Regards,

John
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
whitcombe

Hi Johnmac,

I agree we need a national body to promote the sport and the needs of its flyers. 'ACTIVE' national body I was thinking of though.

All I really wish to know and discuss with other UK jet flyers is what does the £25 JMA membership fee get you. I go to many shows during the year and at most if not all 'prop job' shows the BMFA are there with their tent ready to answer any questions or assist in a any reasonable way possible. They have achievement schemes (Luckily I am and Examiner for both planes and heli's) which they actively promote and encorouge. They PROMOTE the hobby !!!.

The £25 the JMA receives doesn't entitle me to anything or benefit me in any way, and this is probably the same for most jet flyers. Like I mentioned earlier, most jet meets are organised by flying clubs or individual jet flyers who manage to find a suitably available site and the rest is easily spread by word of mouth. All the jet flyers know who everyone else is and thats usually enough. We all know how these things are usually run, we all know about TX control and start up area's as we have all done it enough times.

All I have to show for £25 is an officially endorsed, go faster silver, JMA glass skinning epoxy spreader !!!!! It is bloody good for the job though, cannot fault it !!!!!

We definately need a more pro-active national body who's true aim is to promote the safe operation of turbine aircraft and introduce this facinating side to future flyers who would otherwise never get the chance to see, own or operate a turbine aircraft. We need to show the next generation of young flyers, that if operated safely and correctly , they too could fulfill the dream of flying the ultimate RC aircraft. !!!!!!!

More comments please !!!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Heatseeker_Hill

i think the JMA is specifically designed for one reason. and one type of person. People who like to kiss ass for a living
Old 09-15-2005, 08:39 AM
whitcombe

I see that the funds that I and many other jet flyers in Uk paid to the JMA have been used to pruchase 2 Baby boomerang aircraft as well as wren turbines and radio equipment. WHAT BENEFIT DOES THIS HAVE TO ME ? I am suprised that the money contributed by all the ACTIVE jet flyers with-in the UK is not used to rent, or fund as many suitable flying sites as possible for the use of jet meets.

I would be very happy to contribute to a 'Fly-in' fund every year as long as it pays for the use of a number of sites during the year across the UK or used to financially assist in the provision of a jet meet organised by other jet flyers. My belief is that it should be used as a resource fund to be called upon when a jet meet is proposed that can benifit the majority of its members. The BMFA have provisions to assist any BMFA affiliated club in organising a public event or fly-in !

Comments ???
Old 09-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Spartan Missile

ORIGINAL: Heatseeker_Hill
i think the JMA is specifically designed for one reason. and one type of person. People who like to kiss ass for a living
HA HA don't hold back Heatseeker !
Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 AM
jetjohn

Tim what have you bought now?
John C

Old 09-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Laura H

There was a person who tried to come up to Cottesmore and fly with out joining the JMA, a year ago. He was asked to join the JMA if he wishes to fly. He didnt so he couldn't fly!

I suppose at the end of the day if you want to fly at places like Odiham, Cottesmore and Coningsby then Join the JMA. If you dont then dont!

Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
whitcombe

Hi Laura, Just out of curiosity, did the JMA provide the jet meet free of charge to all JMA members. Don't you think it would be good for the hobby if the JMA could assist financially as well as through advice to any one who has the idea of holding a jet meet at a suitable site. Lets say the site has to be hired for the weekend so it would be nice if the JMA could assist in any way with fulfilling this goal if it would be seen to attract a large number of jet fliers.

Did the JMA pay for the use of the sites you mentioned above. If not, where is the JMA money going???

Also why is there only an English team being supported by the JMA. Should it not be Team UK ???? There are jet flyers in Wales, Scotland and Ireland you know as well. There just seems to be a select small 'click' who benefit from JMA funds. AND THATS TOTALLY WRONG !!!!!

Old 09-16-2005, 02:45 AM
mikuk

Hi,
If it's that bad then come up with proposals and stand for office at the AGM in March, btw the accounts are published and approved at the AGM in answer to a previous question. Anyone can sound off, do something about it .......Mike
Old 09-16-2005, 04:12 AM
whitcombe

Hi Mike (JMA Websmaster), at the next AGM I will bring my views forward to the comittee. And in the correct manner. Myself and others just believe that the JMA could do more for the current active jet flying comunitee.

Just out of curiosity, the JMA web site has events reports only upto classic jets 2004. What about the two classic jets, wroughton meet and long marsden meet 2005. The JMA were there as I gave Mr Wilkinson a go of my heli when it was too strong a cross wind.

Tim
Old 09-16-2005, 06:36 AM
jason

ORIGINAL: whitcombe

I see that the funds that I and many other jet flyers in Uk paid to the JMA have been used to pruchase 2 Baby boomerang aircraft as well as wren turbines and radio equipment. WHAT BENEFIT DOES THIS HAVE TO ME ? I am suprised that the money contributed by all the ACTIVE jet flyers with-in the UK is not used to rent, or fund as many suitable flying sites as possible for the use of jet meets.

Why do you think the purchase of the rookies have to benefit you? they were purchased to promote turbine flying and let the jet wanabees who are almost there give it a go without the initial expense and thats exactly what they have done. I have helped out and buddy boxed a good few JMA rookie flights this year at jets meets this year like the shakespere jet rally and Cottersmore and I know first hand that it works.I took one guy up who I know is a very proficient pilot who has never flown a turbine before and before the flight he was very very nervous and after the flight he didn't know what all the worry was about.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Andy_S_T

Tim,

I suspect that the lack of photographs on the JMA website is due to people not sending Mike any pictures.

I do have a few reservations about the JMA. Chris Gregory does a fantastic job and is normally seen at most Jet meets (including all of the privately organised ones). The Fly-ins are normally good (apart from can we have someone in the Tx tent all the time!), and it's nice to see friends from around the country, I mean that is the main reason for going! If I want to fly lots then I'll stay at home and fly at Wroughton.

I am always concious about having a pop at people that run things like the JMA, as they don't exactly do it for any financial benefit. The only benefit they get is the satisfaction of helping run something (some people do revel in this alone though!). That said, I would like to see the JMA more active at events outside of JMA run events though, a stand at the shows etc. You would have to find someone to run it though, and I think therein lies the problem. Trying to get people to help and organise isn't easy, I myself don't anywhere near enough time to do the things that I need to do now, nevermind doing anything else. I suspect alot of people are in the same boat, juggling work, families and funtime.

I need to get round to glassing some wings soon, so I'll take yours and Jasons advice and give the JMA card a whirl. I normally use somerfield savers cards but a little expermentation is always good.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:40 AM
jason

ORIGINAL: whitcombe

Did the JMA pay for the use of the sites you mentioned above. If not, where is the JMA money going???

I beleive the JMA do have to pay for the use of airfields like Odiham. Its something like £200 I think.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:57 AM
whitcombe

Hi Jason and Andy,

I will just have to bring up my concerns at the JMA AGM in March. Perhaps I am a bit nieve as I have been flying the jets for approx 4 years but only recently joined the JMA. I just havn't seen any benefit thats all. I would just like to see the JMA more in the foreground at jet meets instead of only at 'their' organised meets.

Timbo
Old 09-16-2005, 07:28 AM
jason

When I was thinking of arranging the Skakespeare jet rally I asked the JMA for a hand, what I got was Tom Wilkinson who came from Norfolk Graham Hughs from Wales (no ones perfect) and Chris Greggory came up from Dorset. and they all did it for nothing.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:17 AM
weasel33

I sent the webmaster a lot of high resolution pics from the 2005 Florida jet meet
must be two months ago at least in fact it was the 14\3\2005
I have seen pics posted recently are overseas events banned!!!

Brian Teasdale

Will be at the Fresno Madera Jet Rally end of next week wonder if i should take some pics

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48153.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	324748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93939.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	324749  
Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Gazzer

Now I am someone that could benefit from this debate.

I was I think the first rookie to fly a Boomerang belonging to the JMA, whilst not being an experienced Turbine pilot. Jase BB'd me and away I went. Still remember it now, thanks J!!! How's the family by the way?

The issue is that cough splutter[&:] actually I was and still am not a member of the JMA, which was humourously remarked on at the time BUT it did not stop the guys from letting me have a go.

Now if that was all the JMA did, from an experience point of view it would be worth it, but that doesn't mean the core members get a great deal of benefit.

And frankly, as the association is voluntary and no personal financial gain is involved why would anyone wish to bother, especially as usually all you get is critiscism. Well, you have to put up to shut up.

I've watched the web and the press and gone to the odd event, and the JMA does not appear over dynamic. I know having met several of the guys mentioned here, that their intentions are certainly honourable, but hopefully not at the risk of appearing rude, when was an engineer the best marketeer?

I think having a specialist association, as an adviser to the big Mother institution is a good thing, as representation with knowledge of the subject matter could be a really valuable asset, and should be also able to self promote the hobby.

Maybe as oft happens, great intentions lapse into a lack of direction.

So, why not list here what you think an assocation should deliver? Perhaps that could then be used as a catalyst for a debate, and some rejuvenation, if required, and a capturing of direction.

But you know that takes energy, time and resources, and I could offer none of that, so why should someone else on my behalf?

£25 is £25 not a fortune to those of us fortunate to play this game, but it still is a decent battery or accesory or half a BVM tyre, so at this moment in time, despite my good fortune with the Boomerang, I am not desperate to part with the cash for the JMA, but I will keep my eyes open to the progress which if people are keen enough to commit some time, too, will happen.

Gazzer
Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Laura H

You still pay £5 at Odiham, Cottesmore, Coningsby as well as your JMA subscription - which this debate was had 2 - 3 years ago at the AGM. Why pay £5 everytime you fly.. Just pay your subscription and then be done with it. But there are more none fliers than fliers in the JMA or there was at the AGM and it was voted out.
£5 suppose to go to the World Masters thing. Yes everyone who isn't going to enter the world masters agrees why pay for them to go...But it was voted in at the AGM, so thats how it is.

Laura

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.