Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Trim F-86

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Trim F-86

Old 01-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Jeff S.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim F-86

For those of you that have built/flown the Trim F-86, what can you tell me about the flying characteristics of this jet? Does it land slowly? Is it easy to fly? How is the vertical performance with a Ramtec fan/OS 91 combo, etc? Finally what is you overall impression of this jet?

TIA for your input
Jeff
Old 01-10-2002, 02:52 PM
rcav8tr

Default Trim F-86

Hi Jeff

I'm glad to see your interested in the Trim F-86. I unfortunately do not yet have any experience flying the jet, but I can get some of those who have flown the jet to write you directly and tell you what their experiences were. Please let me know if this would be OK.

Sincerely,
Ed
Great Northern Models
Trim Aircraft Dealer
Old 01-11-2002, 12:22 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Default Trim F-86

Hi Jeff,

I have a couple of Trim Sabres. They fly exceptionally well and don't have any bad habbits. I fly off a short grass strip, about 330 feet) and which isn't even that flat. The strip rolls down on either end and I still get away no worries at all.

In flight it is smooth and precise. Mine fly around 130-140 straight and level with no gear doors. With gear doors I have seen them clocked at 150-160 with only a shallow dive into level flight. The vertical is quite good if you have plenty of speed up before going vertical.

Landings are dead easy if you fly the approach correctly. I can normally drop mine within 30 feet of the end of the strip and be stopped by half strip with the use of brakes. One odd thing with the Sabre is that full flap requires some UP trim to be mixed in or it will tend to put the nose down. I have my flaps set to deploy quite slowly. I first drop the gear to bleed off some speed before dropping the flaps to the landing position. No up trim needed yet. I have the mix set up so the up trim only comes in when the flaps approach full deflection in the landing mode.

Hope that helps. If you do buy one, let me know and I'll give you some mods that a lot of the Trim Sabres here is Australia are flying with. Nothing major, but a couple of small changes.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 01-11-2002, 01:15 AM
rcav8tr

Default Garrett

Hi Garrett

How's the new one coming? Send us some more pics when it's finished. The ones we have will go up shortly.

What mods are you recommending?

Jeff, this is one of the guys I was talking about.

Ed
Old 01-11-2002, 02:30 AM
Jeff S.

Default Trim F-86

Thanks for the information Garrett.

What did you think about the quality of the kit as far as the fit of the bulkheads, instruction quality, hatch fit, etc?

Looking at the Trim Web site, it sure looks like they have put together a very comprehensive and complete kit with many options.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:31 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Default Trim F-86

Hi Ed,

The new one has been sitting finished for some time. I just haven't got around to flying it yet. I'll make an effort to get out one morning next week and finally doing the deed.

The mods I would make are:

1. Lay up and extra layer of 6oz glass in the nose section to about hald way up the fuse sides. This will help it hold shape better it you go for sequencing doors.

2. Same as above for belly pan before cutting main doors free. I didn't and it was a real pain to them laminate them to hold the correct shape. I got there in the end, but it was a pain that I could have avoided.

3. The one fault with the wings, imho, is that the wing spars end abruptly at the end of the retract plate and there are no flex plates. In hard landings, the top wing skins are prone to splitting. Not that hard to fix, but you could avoid it at the building stage by either cutting some new spars that extend further out or, as many do, laminating the top wing skin with some heavy glass cloth out to mid-way between the end of the spars and the servo bays.

4. About the only other thing I would consider is moving the elevator servo down into the tail. No actualy need to do this, but there is plenty of room to do it and the plane balances very easily, so you would only have to move the battery pack forward to get the cg on the sport.

Apart from that, it's a good kit and a nice flyer.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 01-11-2002, 03:38 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Default Trim F-86

Jeff,

I just saw your reply. The kit is definitely value for money. The plans are clear and the instructions, although a bit sparse, are perfectly adequate. They don't show details of how to do the doors, but if you have done sequencing doors before it isn't a problem. Let me know if you get stuck.

All the formers are a good fit, as is the belly pan. The big top hatch fits well, but takes some work to get a really good fit. From what I have seen, this goes for most Sabres given the length from front to back.

The hardware package is very complete and all top-shelf brands. You don't have to buy much else to finish it. I did change the 2/56 aileron and flap pushrods over to 4/40, but I do that on all models.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 01-11-2002, 03:44 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Default Trim F-86

Ed,

I am borrowing a dig-cam this weekend to get some photos of my BMT-120KS mounted up on a test bench, so I will grab some photos of the Sabres and post them here.

I should either type slower or spell check my posts. Sorry about the typos.

Garrett
Old 01-11-2002, 03:49 AM
rcav8tr

Default Mods and such...

Hi Garrett

Thanks for the info. We have one kit on the way and will recommend the mods to our customer. Fire some of those pics our way.

Jeff

If you like, I can fire you a word file that lists all the items that come with the kit.

Ed
Old 01-12-2002, 06:38 AM
Q8SABRE
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F86 Sabre lovers

My friend send me a link for a british company that makes
a F86 Sabre jet kit.
the price is unbelievable.
please check

http://www.jetstyleuk.co.uk/

does any one have any experience with their kits

thanks
Old 01-12-2002, 03:00 PM
Jeff S.

Default Trim F-86

Thanks Ed (rcav8tr) for the word file that you sent.
Did you get the two emails that I sent?
Old 01-12-2002, 04:19 PM
rcav8tr

Default E-Mails

Hi Jeff

I received your e-mails.

With regards to the other Sabre fliers, I can only find Garrett's address. I'm not sure what happened to the others. I will try and find them or get you others.

Ed
Old 02-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Dave03B

Default RE: E-Mails

woh! old thread. Guessing you've flown it by now?? report? I'm waitng to kit my F-86 with the.91/ramtec set up.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Stuart G

Default RE: Trim F-86

Dave 03b,

I had a Trim Sabre that I built with a SPS 54 turbine producing 13.5lbs thrust.

It took me two years to build as I covered it in flight metal aluminium and put all rivet detail on, It looked the business.

I lost the plane on the third flight due to my own fault by putting the receiver aerial on the inside. All range checks seemed O.K.

The kit itself is superb, the fibreglass fuse is very well made and the quality of the wings stabs and fin are excellent, infact the whole wood package is excellent.
I did find that with the balance point set at 285mm which is middle of the recommended setting it was too nose heavy. having to pull a lot of elevator on the turns.
The flights I did have were very smooth with the controls set at manufacturer values, it was very stable and stayed where you put it. Landings were easy with full flap, just leave a bit of power on and fly her in for a very smooth nose high landing.

I don't know if you have brought your's yet but if you haven't I have some things for sale from the sabre which were untouched in the crash, These are

Full cockpit kit (not started still in bags)
BVM Pilot (full body)
Spring Air 503 main retracts, Robart Oleo's, Trim wheels and brakes including scale brake extensions.
Trim twist and turn nose retract unit with Robart Air Ram, Robart Oleo, Trim wheel.
Ultra precision Retract and door sequencer, Valve does doors and retracts so only one servo required.
Carbon Fibre Bypass duct and stainless steel exhaust.
Full autostart SPS54 Turbine.

Let me know if any of the above are of interest.

Stuart.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Dave03B

Hi Stuart,

Sorry to hear that you lost it (the plane)[]

Yes, I've already bought mine, from a mate. He was going to convert it to turbine but never got round to it. It's a well built model, came with retracts, just got to figure out how to install the nose retracts, as i think some wood is missing here. I've bought the .91/ramtec/mini pipe set up for it. But if you'll let me buy your turbine for £50 i'll keep the DF set up as a spare

Seriously though, I think I'm ok regarding the bits you have. I've kind of debted myself buying it all anyway, so won't spend too much at the moment. Thanks anyway.

Consoling to hear that it flies well. I got the Sabre, retracts, all ducting, fuel tanks for £125 (a steal at that price)

I'll keep in mind that nose wheel twist and turn that you have.

Any pics of yours, before it went[:@]

Thanks for the advice and help
Dave
Old 02-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Stuart G

Dave,

I don't have any pics at the moment, waiting to get some from my dad who took some before the test flight.
I will email when I have them.

If it is of any help to you I have a set of fuselage and wing plans I could send to you free, they are for the turbine version but will give you detail of the nose formers and how the twist and turn unit fits, which I think you will need so the nose wheel misses the intake duct. It may also give you some other usefull info.

Just send an email to me with your name and address if you want them and i'll send them to you.

Stu
Old 02-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Dave03B

Was it completely a bin bag job? did you have tip tanks on yours?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Charlie H.
My Feedback: (38)

HI Jeff
I really enjoy flying the Trim Sabre and the kit goes together well . Its a good value for the money and Ed from Great Northern does a good job getting the kit to you.

Charlie H
Old 03-01-2004, 07:04 AM
jetdriver

I am borrowing a dig-cam this weekend to get some photos of my BMT-120KS mounted up on a test bench, so I will grab some photos of the Sabres and post them here.
Are you still a dealer for the BMT?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 AM
planemadAUSTRALIA

Hey Stuart
do you still have some sabre parts ..I managed to get hold of a half built trim air sabre ...i plan to put a turbine in this beauty ..

any help would be great

brett