Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help - Baby Boomerang Kit Building problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help - Baby Boomerang Kit Building problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Minch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Baby Boomerang Kit Building problem

Me and my father are building a baby boomerang kit, we are at the stage where you build the booms. Has anyone else had problem with the booms twisting towards the rear, ours at one point were in danger of meeting in the middle. We have already had to take one off and pin it to a board wetted to try and remove the twist, this was successful.

To anyone out there who has built one is there any reason why the boom sides can't be pinned flat to a building board and bulit, leaving the small section which goes onto the wing, open and unsheeted so that they can be fitted to the wing once built and the fixing block set in. Surely this would eliminate any twists and not affect the alignment of the booms??????

Nick
Old 09-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Turbinac

Default RE: Help - Baby Boomerang Kit Building problem

Nick,
You must be referring to the old Baby Boomerang kit, not the ARF one.
My phone number and email address is in the instructions pages that came with the kit. so if you are still having problems with the build, why not give me a call or email me? I'll be glad to help. (Though you seem to be quite able to deal with it yourself!)
Alan
Old 09-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Minch

Turbinac,

Indeed it is a baby boomerang kit, one of the last ones I believe, we purchased it a month or so before the ARF was released.

Yes, we have sorted it out now, there was a hint of panic, as we were trying to build them as per instructions but when we got to fitting the elevator post in, the sides had bent like a banana. We had assumed that there must be a good reason for building them like this so we continued, but we did make a few mods to the process to try and keep the booms straight and this seems to have worked. All our major construction is now completed so will be covering it soon. We hope to be flying it mid to late november with Jetcat P60 power.

Thanks for your response

Nick

Old 10-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Dave Kelly

Hi Minch,
I was working hard on my kit last weekend too and encountered a similar problem some time ago. Where the inside sheeted boomsides distorted (both booms) when i pulled the sides in for joining at the finpost. My fix was to make a packer and insert it between the two vertical spars which run up the vertical fins (at the base of them spars) if you understand what i mean? Distrotion was reduced and a great deal of strength and rigidity was added to the vertical stabs.
1)Other mods i made were captive nuts and bolts for wing retention.
2)A plywood former was added two inches from wing root leading edge for the rear of the wing locating dowels to locate into.
3)Rounded two inch wings tips were added to prevent damage to ailerons in transit.
4)The wing flap was made aerofoil shape and an aerodynamic fillet made for the flaps in retracted position.
I still have covering and equipment install for completion (waiting on Profilm order right now..Come on Perkins!!)
good luck
Dave
Old 10-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

Have you read this thread on how Cjets made a jig to ensure the booms are true?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2805935
Old 10-02-2005, 04:12 AM
Minch

Yes, discovered the thread about making a jig after we had started making the booms, it always the way isn't it.

Thanks for the link

Nick