Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Looking For a Little Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Looking For a Little Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:01 AM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For a Little Help

I am scratch building a Regal Eagle and I'm Looking for a little advise on suspending the engine tuned pipe inside the thrust tube.

My thoughts are to fab a three lagged support out of aluminum and attach it to the thrust tube at 10:00, 2:00 and 6:00. and have the center to wrap around the pipe. Any other info would help.

A little info on the plane I'm building: Currently it is nearing 90 percent complete. With out the battery, receiver, throttle servo mixture servo and some odds and ends, fuel lines and such The plane is weighing in at ten pounds. I think the finish weight should be around 14 lbs.

It is powered by OS-91 tractor fan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33011_1258.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	20941  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:08 AM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

I thought I'd also post a picture of what I call my Jet Trainer.

The Tech description of this aircraft would be a: Cranked Arrow Delta Canard. Powered by a mid-engine pusher webra 50. The Canard wing is fully articulating, using elevons on the aft serfaces and has tri-cycle retracts. this plane was also scratch built from plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33014_1258.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	20942  
Old 10-30-2002, 09:41 AM
garrett_mcdonal

An easy option for the pipe is to buy one of the commercial tunes-pipe hangers. Trim Aircraft make one and I'm sure BVM do one as well.

These are molded nylon hangers that attached to the top of the thrust tube and hang down. The pipe is retained to the hanger by one or two o-rings.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 10-30-2002, 01:11 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice models!
DON'T reinvent the wheel on this one. Pipe hung wrong, pipe coupler breaks, or exhaust header breaks, or pipe goes out the tail of the aircraft in flight, whatever. Any one of these contingencies means your engine stops, and jets make poor gliders.
Use a regular pipe hanger. Either a store bought one, or you can make one. Essentially, it's a hook made of plywood, and the pipe is hung off it with an O-ring.
The pipe is shock-mounted. You also need some way of keeping the pipe from slipping backwards. If you want to KEEP the pipe, that is! BVM sells one, or you can make something. Some pipes have a spring retainer as part of the deal.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:36 PM
Centralrchobbies
My Feedback: (7)

Not anther thought is to get a Weston pipe as it does not need a hanger. I have one in my eagle. Rick
Old 10-30-2002, 02:00 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second that. If you have not bought a pipe yet, go for the Weston. Simplifies everything a great deal, and more reliable, too.