Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-18 Single as first Jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-18 Single as first Jet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yellow F-18 Single as first Jet?

Hey Guys,
I've been flying and teaching for about ten years. I've flown just about every type of prop plane.
Mostly Warbirds.. I've also raced my T-34 at 100+ .... I'm building a G&P models F-18 pusher type plane. I was going to use it as my first jet. But I'm looking at a yellow F-18 ducted fan... any thoughts on this being my first jet?
I was going to jump form my pusher F-18 or the yellow to a comp bobcat... is that a far stretch?

any help would be great
thanks
Ron
Old 10-22-2005, 02:35 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-18 Single as first Jet?

xmmmmmm

whats is the bigest and heavyes model you have leave with???i hope you reply gas 80 type or somethink.....

and ill show you the way...so you save money

george
Old 10-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Ron101

Hey George,
Over the years I've flown a Byron P-51 with a Quadra 50.. 1/4 scale pitts... 1/4 scale extra... a bunch of 60 size warbirds..
I built and flew a f-14 prop plan (great planes) piper cubs.. combat planes.. every thing but a jet...lol
Whats you idea? saving money is always good!!

Ron
Old 10-22-2005, 04:20 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

oke
here is my way

if you know some one who flys jetss and can help you in firsts flights go for it

just to get friend with the turbines delay rensponse

and also with no air flow in controls in low speeds from a prop in the nose

stop give away money...you will need them

stop every progect

get a jet cat... a 120...

get the facet 2300 if you are alone.....
or if you have a jet expert for the first 5 rides go for skymaster f-15 then you are done ...s/k f-15 i have...

whatever you choose... until you finish the kit

everynight you will play with the tubine for 15 minutes

antil you wont surprize by her noise, get familiar with the very easy operation
,and anterstant her speed of acceleration...

from the moment your turbine will be in your hands

until you have 5 landins on your own ....nice ones.....YOU WONT FLY PROP

YOURS OR ANYONE ELSE

YOUR RADIO WILL HAVE ONLY ONE MODEL MEMORY! JETS ONE!

UNTIL THE 5 LANDINS

just love it ...forget every think .....be alone with a good helper on the field...respect it....and dont afraid of the sound so much

.......ALSO...YOU ARE TH BEST JET PILOT WHEN.......YOU KNOW YOUR LIMITS.......NEVER PLAY ... RESPECT ITS POWER

sorry for bad english

regards

george

p.s. whatever you need let me know

p.p.s. ..............soooooooooo easy you will ask your seld what you was waitting for to start in jets ....

Old 10-22-2005, 04:34 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would advise against it. I have owned two and have seen others. The F18 DF has a very narrow flight envelope and is not suited to beginners, even experienced beginners. This is nothing against Yellow Aircraft -- I am building their F15 and it is a great kit. F18's tend to be draggy and need lots of power, the gear positioning make them want to overrotate and the short wing makes them less stable in roll than most other planes. They also need power on landing, though unlike many aircraft, it is hard to bounce an F18. Once down, they stick.

If you are looking for something scale, an F15 is by far a better choice. The Avonds DF is a sweetheart. I still have mine, even though I have moved to turbines. It is big but light, glides well and lands very slowly. I have also seen many newer pilots fly the Top Gun F15.

Many more people are also moving straight to turbines, as more affordable ARF or builders kits have hit the market.

Good luck == you won't regret your move to jets.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

There are definitely drawbacks to the F-18 Single as a first jet, but the speed envelope certainly isn't one of them. The performance envelope of this plane is beaten only by the Starfire (as far as our line goes). The go-arounds are easy with the application of full throttle, and the landing speeds (even with a turbine) are low. Before I ever bought my first one, I saw video after video of this plane flying at meets, and the performance on both sides were quite good. I have video I can email to anyone interested.

The main drawback to this plane is it's ground handling. If you don't set the gear up just right, it will have a higher tendency to give you ground handling headaches. There's no voodoo to it, though--you can set it up to handle just fine on the ground. There are many guys out there who have had excellent luck with this bird. Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:39 AM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Hey Guys,
I've been flying and teaching for about ten years. I've flown just about every type of prop plane.
Mostly Warbirds.. I've also raced my T-34 at 100+ .... I'm building a G&P models F-18 pusher type plane. I was going to use it as my first jet. But I'm looking at a yellow F-18 ducted fan... any thoughts on this being my first jet?
I was going to jump form my pusher F-18 or the yellow to a comp bobcat... is that a far stretch?

any help would be great
thanks
Ron
Based on your experience thru the Byron P-51, the G&P F-18 to the Y/A F-18 ducted fan and then to the BVM Bobcat is a sound and appropriate progression. Contrary to other opinions, I have had 2 Y/A F-18 ducted fans and they fly great(take off , mid-flight, and landing). Many guys today are jumping straight to turbine for their reliability, but are lacking the invaluable setup and maintenance knowledge base that you get building, operating, and maintaining a ducted fan. Like most things, it is more about the person and not the equipment when it comes to reliable jet modeling. Many guys including myself learned from ducted fans and had absolute fun and reliability with them. Most importantly, apply yourself and be patient and you will succeed! Good luck and welcome to jets!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:44 AM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My first jet was a Yellow F-18 Single, with a turbine, the plane before that a P-51 with OS 1.20. The F-18 flys great, it is not a jet trainer but it is not too dificult neither. As Shawn said, the ground handdling is a bit of a pain, but once you get used to it, it´s ok. Takeoffs are smooth with a bit of flap, and it comes nice and easy for landings. Talk to Shawn Evans, he will help you a lot with it. I am very happy with it. It is still flying great.

Michel
Old 10-23-2005, 09:50 AM
chipperg

I have one for sale as I am building it. (baby on the way) I went through the same issues you have. I have heard a lot of people speak highly of the f-18 as a good first jet. (use a gyro on the nose gear to help with the ground handeling.) I bought one and the building has been fun. I can send you some pics if you like. I am putting a wren turbine in mine but the df flies well from what People tell me. I have had 2 people tell me that this thing will not fly at all and that it is junk. I saw their planes and the build was heavy and messy. Build it light and use good equipment and you will have no problems.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I've gotten a few requests for these video clips. I can't send them through RCU PMs, so just email me and I'll send them.

HotelSierra,

What a good post. I think the same way. I'm confused when I read all of the horror stories about DF reliability. I had a wonderful time with DF. A guy really learns to appreciate the power of a turbine when he's had to learn power management with a DF.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:47 PM
pilott34

ORIGINAL: chipperg

I have one for sale as I am building it. (baby on the way) I went through the same issues you have. I have heard a lot of people speak highly of the f-18 as a good first jet. (use a gyro on the nose gear to help with the ground handeling.) I bought one and the building has been fun. I can send you some pics if you like. I am putting a wren turbine in mine but the df flies well from what People tell me. I have had 2 people tell me that this thing will not fly at all and that it is junk. I saw their planes and the build was heavy and messy. Build it light and use good equipment and you will have no problems.

How do you know if you havent finished building??

Old 10-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Ron101

So I was out flying this morning and trying to sort out which way to go on this...
and now my head hurts..lol.. I hope flying my first jet will be easier than picking it
I think I'm going to just finish my G&P Pusher F-18.. which is almost done.. get some flights on it
Then see where to go from there... I'll have a better idea after flying it
George I love the idea of the Skymaster F-15.. for the first jet.. it looks great!
I think skipping over ducted fan would be nice also... I'm sick of the glow mess (HotelSierra I'm sure your right I'd gain experience with the ducted fan)
I really love the looks of the Bob Cat... and from the bobcats and king cats I've seen fly I was sold... but the price
I've also looked at the rookie... which seems like a great value
see what I mean my head hurts...lol... I'd like pick something up soon to work on over the winter
but I'm lost...lol
off the subject which jetcat is good for the Rookie and the Skymaster F-15
it looks like a P-70 would be good for the bobcat?
I'm trying to factor which size motor into the decision.... price and which airframes I could use it in later
I thank all of you
I'm holding off on the ducted fan for now
Ron R
Old 10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Ron101

By the way Shawn The Yellow F-18 Twin is my dream plane..lol
Blue Angels... Jet Cat Titan..... tam smoke.. the works..
Hey a guys got to have dream right..
Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 AM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Ron,
In my opinion there's too much fuss made about jet flying. You seem to be an experienced flyer - I'm sure if you can handle heavy warbirds you can handle a jet. I, like a lot of other people I'm sure, just fancied having a go and did so without seeking help. I've flown lots of ducted fan models before progressing onto turbine - they've all been very smooth and faster than the average sport model in flight. Just bear in mind the possibly longer, faster approach and take-off. Enjoy the learning curve just be careful you don't get seriously hooked!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 AM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

Old 10-24-2005, 09:04 AM
chipperg

Sorry about that. I have seen several fly at different fields around the south east. I have taken the controls for a few min. I love the plane. The planes I worked with had gyros on the nose gear and tracked well. i will let you knoe when i get mine flying.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
tcblr
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Ron,

I have the F-18 single powered with a turbine and this was my first attempt at jets "ducted fan or turbine" I did the maiden on this plane myself without the help of any experienced turbine pilot and the plane flies pretty much the same as any pattern plane in the air. There was a learning curve involved in landings since this plane requires some power during landing. I think if you've had some previous experience with a heavier 1/4 scale warbirds and likely have had to use throttle management during the landing approach then this should be no problem for you. The best advice here would be to stay well above the power curve on the first few flights until you get the feel for it. I consider myself an average pilot at best and while I had a few issues at first trying to learn how to land it I have been successful with it. I think you will do fine if you choose this plane as a first ducted fan or turbine model.

Good Luck,

Brandon

Old 10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Shaun Evans

Hey,

Can one of you fellows I've sent the vids to give a performance review based on what you saw? Don't count the landing, since a main wheel was missing! I'm hoping we can dispell this myth about the plane not performing well on DF.