Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How's this for a jet trainer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How's this for a jet trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 05:17 PM
cairoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's this for a jet trainer

Hi Jet Fanatics,

Just came back from the flying field, where I test flew my Mick Reeves's Super Reaper. I tell you, it's everything Mick Reeves claims it to be. It flies slower than your average high wing trainer and it's rock solid right to the stall, which is a very soft and dead straight affair. You have aileron control even through the stall. As for landings, just hold her straight until she settles on the mains at less than 10 knots, really!!

It also builds very fast. I started mine on December 22nd and had it ready to fly in less than a week. using conventional building materials and methods, like plywood for the fuselage and foam /veneer wings and balsa rudders and canards. You don't need to glass anything. Use ordinary monokote (bring out of the closet that rusty sealing iron) and some spray can paint for the top decking. No retracts, brakes, gear doors to bother with, just sheer fun.

Best of all is its price.....less than $220, yes you read right!! and Mick has them ready to dispatch the moment you order them.

Check out his website:www.mrmodels.fsnet.co.uk/

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1023_202.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1467  
Old 01-15-2002, 01:13 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Reaper

Chris,

I love it! Kinda looks like a jet powered Diamond Dust! Wow, a simple, inexpensive jet, what a concept!

I checked out the web site and pix and was just wondering about a few things. I can see there is a Simjet in there, but which one? At 15 lbs it looks like 12lbs of thrust is not quite enough and 17 is too much. Also wondering about landing without wheelbrakes. With the engine you are using can you get it slow enough to fly a reasonable tight pattern and land in 500 feet without having to shut down the turbine? I ask this because I fly my HotSpot out of a 500 foot grass strip with a fairly tight approach on one end.

I have a friend who just completed an Enforcer and is giving some thought to sticking a small turbine on it. The Reaper looks like a much better way to go. To me it looks like an almost ideal turbine trainer, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of wheelbrakes.

By the way, I really enjoyed the photo of all your engines on that other post. That's some collection! I must say the Simjet is a very handsome looking piece of equipment.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:30 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Jet Reaper

That Jet is great ! Just install a speed brake on it and forget about $200 for wheel brakes-save yourself some money-then you can slow it down on final and carry power all the way down.I like it-just goes to show that you don't have to be $$$$ to fly a turbine.

Jackjet
Old 01-15-2002, 04:38 AM
cairoman

Jack is right.

Mick Reeves had both rudders move outwards to act as speedbrakes for small field landings.

Our club's runway is no longer than 600 ft and the Reaper used only half of it before I applied the brakes on the first landing, yes, I used brakes on this one, but inexpensive sport ones, made in England for less than $70. But the Reaper will fly really slow anyway.

I used a 20 lb thrust class turbine on it. The total weight, with all the mods and additions (brakes, lead weight in the nose) came to 16 lbs. Mick Reeves is using a kit made KJ66, which he asked Simjet to modify it, balance it and make it work (that explains the blue anodised front cover). Thanks for the kind words, Dustflier regarding the turbine photo. Since the photo was taken, two more engines were added to the collection and two engines from the photo have been upgraded to higher thrust levels.

Your friend could use the 12 lb Simjet or a RAM 500 on his enforcer without any problems, due to their lightweight and less fuel they have to carry onboard for a decent amount of flying time.

Best regards

Chris
Old 01-15-2002, 05:50 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Default Reaper

I can't decide whether it is cool or ugly. Either way, I like it. Looks like a great way to get a turbine in the air in quick time and with minimal cost and complexity.

I'll drop them an email and see what it would cost to ship one over here. I'm looking for a quick and simple way to get my bmt-120ks in the air while I build either a Vigalante or my Balsa Bandit kit.

Garrett
Old 01-15-2002, 06:24 AM
cairoman

BTW, Garrett, the Reaper is powered by a BMT95. I'll have the Vigilante ready to go by the end of the month. I'll be using my Simjet 2300 on the Vigilante. You're right. I can't be certain either, whether it is an ugly or a pretty airplane. My friends changed their minds ten times within ten minutes. In the air, it looks fab.

Shipping from the U.K. to Aussie is not expensive. I think, you pay more to ship stuff from the U.S. to Australia. Give the Reaper a try, you won't be sorry. I started my jet carrer with a Kangaroo, back in '99, which I thought was very easy to fly, until I flew the Reaper.

Best regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1046_202.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1468  
Old 01-15-2002, 06:36 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi Chris,

I'll look into it. I saw the website for the Reaper a while back but had forgotten about it.

The freight on the Balsa Bandit kit cost me an arm and a leg, closer to 2 arms and 2 legs really. Given the Aust/US exchange rate, so did the kit itself. If people think BVM is expensive in the US, out here it costs a bit over twice as much in Aust dollars by the time it is on your workbench.

I have seen Darren fly his Vigalante at a few jet meets. It's an incredible performer and he is one hell of a pilot.

My Renegade is coming together really quickly. The plan had been to simply build a Vigalante fuse and share the wings and tail feather between them, but it sounds like I could build a Reaper in less time than it would take to get a Vigalante fuse built.

I headed homw at lunch just to run the 120 again. I just can't get over how smooth the startup is on kero.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 01-15-2002, 06:48 AM
cairoman

Garrett,

Darren keeps telling me, it's the airplane that does the flying, he's just moving the sticks.LOL

I am, perhaps the only European customer of Andre. I bought BMT80 # 4 and #6 from him and I had many problems with them (bearings), but since he upgraded them, they run fine. I'm sure everybody will follow his example and get rid of the propane.

Best regards,
Chris
Old 01-15-2002, 09:44 PM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi Chris,

I dropped Mick an email and said I'll take one. Looks like it should be perfect for the job. I really like the deliberate simplicity of the airframe so you can concentrate on getting familiar with the characterisitcs of flying a turbine.

Thanks for posting your story. I had actually considered a Vigalante fuse, a Roo, Hot Spot, TopCat or BobCat as possibilities to get my engine airborne while I built the Bandit but was sold by the cost and simplicity of the Super Reaper.

I'll keep the list posted once it arrives and I start building.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 01-15-2002, 09:52 PM
Dustflyer

Default Super Reaper brakes

Chris,

Could you please tell what kind of wheels and brakes you used? To your knowedge are they available anywhere in the states, if not, who sells them?

Thanks.
Gene
Old 01-16-2002, 01:32 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Default Super Reaper

I ordered one yesterday. I'm more than likely going to use Usher Tool's (aka UEI) brake. They work with wire struts and Robart wheels. I'll have to bend new gear wire so that the wire points down out at the axle end.

FYI for USA guys... Shipping is about $63.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:03 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

b. I would love to see that when you get it.
Let me know. How long did they figure till you get it?
Old 01-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Dustflyer

Default Brakes

b.bixel,

Thanks for the info on brakes. We've got a little excitement going on this Reaper thing out here.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:15 PM
cairoman

Default wheels and brakes

Bart, Gene, Garrett et all,

I used Mike's models (from England) wheels and brakes, but I don't think they make them anymore. Trim aircraft and Intairco in Australia make good and reasonably priced wheels and brakes. BVM's sport wheels and brakes would do just fine. To install these on your wire undercarriage, take a 3/16 wheel collar, file two flat sides to it, fit the collar on the 3/16 wire leg and fit the wheel/brake on that, so that the brake hub will not rotate with the wheel.

Just spoke to Mick Reeves a few minutes ago. He's experimenting with a dorsal airbrake, kinda like the Hotspot one. I think I'll give it a try too and let you guys know of the results.

Best regards,
Chris
Old 01-16-2002, 08:13 PM
garrett_mcdonal

I got an email from Mick this morning confirming my order. Woohooo!!!

I have a set of Trim wheels and brakes that will go in mine. I had planned on using these in my Renegade by turning the rubber tyres down from 75mm to 66mm, but I'll grab a set of Intairco wheels and brakes for the Renegade instead.

Wow, it looks like Christo may have started something here. I'm pleased I got my order in early. Mick said that the batch of kits was selling fast.

Garrett
Old 01-16-2002, 11:20 PM
cairoman

Garrett,

You know, you can use the KBS wheels and brakes on your Renegade/Vigilante mix. Darren Kennedy has them in stock. They will fit 4mm piano wire and the tires are made of solid rubber. I have them on the Vigilante. I'll give them a try next month.

I'm taking the Reaper for another sortie tomorrow morning (today in Aussie). I'll take lots of photos and post some on the forum. Next week, I'll try the airbrake and see if I can slow her down even more.

Best regards to all

Chris
Old 01-17-2002, 12:43 AM
lbrannan
My Feedback: (8)

Default Reaper

I ordered one yesterday also. I fly from a five acre grass field so no brakes required. Probably will order the new 11 lb SWB Mamba for mine.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:28 PM
jbsmith

Default Jet Trainer

Hey Guys.

That Reaper is a nice looking bird. Maybe a future project..?? Here is a pic of a sure nuf jet trainer. I would really like to build one of these to kick around the field with. I found this pic at www.microjets.co.uk
There are more there too. It belongs to Barrie King and is powered by a MW 54.
I tried emailing Paul from the above website to get more info but the email wouldn't go through.
Anybody know how to get intouch with Paul or Barrie??

Thanks
Jeremy Smith
Old 01-18-2002, 09:34 PM
jbsmith

Default No Pic??

For some reason the pic wouldn't go through. It said it wasn't a valid gif or jpeg and I know it is!!??
I'll try agian. or just check it out at

http://www.microjets.co.uk/wren.html

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 01-18-2002, 09:38 PM
jbsmith

Default another

Ok I got it figured out. However it still won't let me post a pic that I've stored.
Here is another.

Jeremy

http://www.microjets.co.uk/images/Exhaust.jpg
Old 01-18-2002, 09:48 PM
garrett_mcdonal

Hey Guys,

Those of us who ordered Reapers last week got an email this morning to say they are on their way. Wow, that's prompt service. The more I look at the photos on Mick's website, the more I am growing to like the look of it.

I already have the colour scheme picked out. This should be fun, I actually really enjoy covering with monokote.

So what's the collective noun for Reapers? Is it a Grim of Reapers???

Garrett
Old 01-19-2002, 03:21 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Wheel Brakes

If memory serves correctly, doesn't the AMA require wheel brakes on all turbine aircraft in the U.S.?
Old 01-19-2002, 03:40 AM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Nope, brakes are not "required" Go to

Mike
Old 01-25-2002, 04:45 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Default I received my kit

It only took 5 days to get my Super Reaper from across the pond. My P-120 will nestle right nicely in this dude.

Regards,
Bart
Old 01-25-2002, 05:37 AM
cairoman

Bart,

The P120 will make the Reaper beg for mercy!!!!!!

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.