Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

turbo fan development

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

turbo fan development

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 12:30 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default turbo fan development

Guys, I saw this on E-zone, Vin...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=70595
Old 11-07-2002, 12:41 AM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Awesome!

Totally cool! Looks like a good candidate for a Harrier!
Myles
Old 11-07-2002, 01:01 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is stunning.

Bob
Old 11-07-2002, 01:12 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbofans

Oh no, please no! No turbo fans!

Heck, the only jets that sound like real jets any more are the old non hush-kitted DC-9's and 727's.

Do you want to listen to that 757 whine from your model jet too?

Not me! Please, keep giving me that turbo jet roar, the more the better!

In all fairness to the builders of that marvelous turbofan, just kidding! That is a beautiful piece of work!

I love the sound of turbojets in the morning!

Bypass? Make mine zero please!
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2002, 02:11 AM
sideshow

Ya know......F-18's have turbofans. In fact, I don't think there is a modern aircraft, in production, that still uses a turbojet. I think the coolest sound while watching the Blue Angels is the whine of the fan then the roar........love that!

Bob
Old 11-07-2002, 02:29 AM
Wayne22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck, the only jets that sound like real jets any more are the old non hush-kitted DC-9's and 727's.
I don't think there are any more of those around either with the stage III noise requirements...

That is a marvelous piece of work, although I can understand his concern with the concentric shafts......the thin inner one is the most highly loaded shaft......I couldn't make out what RPM it was running at..he mentioned a couple of different numbers, then added that there was also a gear box...........
Old 11-07-2002, 03:13 AM
F900

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Nony,

I'd say about 85% of the 727's and DC-9s in the States are hush-kitted to meet Stage 3 Noise requirments, and in Europe there all ready talking about Stage 4.

The USAF DC-9s (C9A) with the JT8D-9 engine some even have the JT8D-7B, out of the 30+ or so only 3 are Hush-kitted.

And with Corporate Aircraft, like the Lear 24,25 (S-I ), Gulfstream II/IIIs none of these are Hush-kited other than Stage II HK's and are not required to have Stage III as they are under 70,000lbs, even though some airports in Europe won't let them fly there and here in the states they place very heavy restrictions on what time they can Take off and land,

There is an old Lear 24XR (1966)where i fly out of, still been flown and its not even Stage II. Loudest Jet i have ever heard other than a F-15 etc..
Old 11-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Dustflyer

Default Turbofans

Actually there are turbofans and then there are turbofans, low and high bypass.

The engines used in the F-16 and F-18 are a whole different ballgame, and in my opinion are the coolest sounding jets on the planet.

Those used in modern airliners are high bypass turbines, at the current stage of development virtually cowled in turboprops. Incredibly fuel efficient but not very cool sounding at all.

Of course if you are building a scale 757 or A-10 the miniature turbofan would be just the ticket!
Old 11-07-2002, 01:16 PM
aparchment

Default A-10 sound

Hey dustflyer:

Can I thus extrapolate that you don't like the sound of the A10? In my humble opinion that is an incredible sounding airplane. Maybe not as cool sounding as an F18 but nonetheless those two engines spooling up under load is pretty cool.

Antony
Old 11-07-2002, 01:36 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Incredibly fuel efficient but not very cool sounding at all.

Who cares what it sounds like on a military jet as long as it is kicking the ***** out of the enemies ***!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:46 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Default Anyone for a turbo prop?

I found this little item a couple of days ago. I can't read Japanese so I have no idea what the particulars are, but it sure looks cool!

http://www.worldrc.com/shinnseihinn.htm

Scroll down about 2/3's of the way down the page.

John
Old 11-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Gordon Mc

Default Re: Anyone for a turbo prop?

Originally posted by JWN
I found this little item a couple of days ago. I can't read Japanese so I have no idea what the particulars are, but it sure looks cool!

http://www.worldrc.com/shinnseihinn.htm
Go to
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
and enter http://www.worldrc.com/shinnseihinn.htm in the text area underneath "Translate a web page", then select Japanese to English translation.

The translation certainly isn't "proper" english, but perhaps close enough for you to get the gist.

Gordon
Old 11-07-2002, 04:27 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Not much in the way of details there.

Though I guess the spec of 21X10 3 blade prop at 6100 RPM should be enough for most modelers to match it up with an appropriate airframe.

John
Old 11-07-2002, 04:57 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a search here on turbo prop, Mec has had one for a while now, very nice looking plane!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:42 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Default Turboprop

Here's the info on the turboprop listed above....

http://www.jdenterprise.net/TurboProp.htm

Craig
Old 11-07-2002, 08:16 PM
DennisF

Default Turbo Prop

Hi John and others wanting information on the Turbo prop.
The picture in the Japanese web site is the Wren Turbo Prop and the web site is the Japanese dealer for Wren.
You can find out more on the Turbo Prop from the JDE web site or the Wren Web site.
Dennis Fuente
JDE
Old 11-07-2002, 11:57 PM
Dustflyer

Default A 10's

Antony,

Funny you should ask, A10's fly over my house every day. I live only a few miles from Willow Grove Air Base in PA and I agree, they have a very nice sound.

My favorite jet sound; however, is the F16. To me there is nothing quite like the thunder of that F100 engine, though the old J79 in full burner sounded pretty darn cool too.

As much as I love the sound of an F16, on a day to day basis I'm quite happy to have those A10's overhead instead!
Old 11-08-2002, 12:10 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dennis, that turbo prop is WAY too cool. Congratulations!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 12:29 AM
DennisF

Default turbo prop

Hi woketman
The credit belongs to the Wren team and especially Mike for all his hard hours of labor making it work, all the guys at Wren really have worked hard bringing it to a reality Roger, Terry, John, you guys all deserve an outstanding thumbs up from me.
The unit is a real turbo prop no direct connection to the out put shaft just like the full size, When I Was over in the UK visiting with the guys I ran all these really neat, i want to say toys but there a real power plants and should be treated as such, But WOW did that Turbo Prop impress the hell out of me.
I have run some large prop engines but i have to say that nothing has as much power in the modeling world that is it literally blew me away.
Ops almost forgot to mention Charles and Steve Oh did mention we have a Heli unit to match the Turbo Prop.
Dennis Fuente
JDE
Old 11-08-2002, 05:21 AM
jetdrivergiv
My Feedback: (1)

If you like the sound of an A10, then you also love the sound of a CRJ or Challenger. Same engines G.E. CF34.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:35 PM
Guybo

Thanks for all your interest. It seems that this would have been a better site to post the thread of our engine, as the EDF section in Ezone is alittle off topic.

I will upload a few pictures of the engine, and wouild be glad to talk about it, and the development we have put in. The engine has been developed by my father Mike , and I have tryed to help were with the design and manufacture of the units along the way. The turbo fan engine was developed from our turbo prop varients, which firstly was a KJ 66 version which swung a 28 - 10 four bladed Prop, with a daul stage planatary reduction gearbox driven from a free turbine. This engine delivered fairly awsome power, were a static thrust of 48lb was achieved, and yes the core engine was a standard 66 diameter unit, with 18 lb of static thrust, which was before all the latest varients from Artes, and Jetcat arrived.

Along came the Wren team here in england who had produced the excellent MW54, which is were our next turbo prop evolved from, which in general takes the same arrangment as wrens unit, but instead of there layshaft arrangement, we utilized a single stage planatary varient, with a cooling impellor of the free turbine, which enabled a very compact design to be achieved. Overall the unit is about 30 - 40 mm shorter then WRENS engine, and has a higher reduction gearbox, allowing a 24 - 10 prop to be used, with a static thrust of 36 lb. Both this engine, and the KJ66 varient is in the reverse flow format, were the intake is at the back of the engine, and the exhaust / Prop is at the front, the same arrangement as WRENS unit.

Finaly the Concentic shaft engine, is our latest undertaking, were a turbo prop version has been run succesfully, and the High Bypass Fan is still being run a developed.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:42 PM
Guybo

A picture of the KJ 66 Turbo Prop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35002_18780.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	21794  
Old 11-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by Guybo
Thanks for all your interest. It seems that this would have been a better site to post the thread of our engine, as the EDF section in Ezone is alittle off topic.

I will upload a few pictures of the engine, and wouild be glad to talk about it, and the development we have put in. The engine has been developed by my father Mike , and I have tryed to help were with the design and manufacture of the units along the way. The turbo fan engine was developed from our turbo prop varients, which firstly was a KJ 66 version which swung a 28 - 10 four bladed Prop, with a daul stage planatary reduction gearbox driven from a free turbine. This engine delivered fairly awsome power, were a static thrust of 48lb was achieved, and yes the core engine was a standard 66 diameter unit, with 18 lb of static thrust, which was before all the latest varients from Artes, and Jetcat arrived.

Along came the Wren team here in england who had produced the excellent MW54, which is were our next turbo prop evolved from, which in general takes the same arrangment as wrens unit, but instead of there layshaft arrangement, we utilized a single stage planatary varient, with a cooling impellor of the free turbine, which enabled a very compact design to be achieved. Overall the unit is about 30 - 40 mm shorter then WRENS engine, and has a higher reduction gearbox, allowing a 24 - 10 prop to be used, with a static thrust of 36 lb. Both this engine, and the KJ66 varient is in the reverse flow format, were the intake is at the back of the engine, and the exhaust / Prop is at the front, the same arrangement as WRENS unit.

Finaly the Concentic shaft engine, is our latest undertaking, were a turbo prop version has been run succesfully, and the High Bypass Fan is still being run a developed.

Please, please, please, keep us informed, this the most fascinating part yet Turbo fans.... and Turbo props
Old 11-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Guybo

A picture of the MW54 varient on Test stand

Name:	35003_18780.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	21795  
Old 11-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Guybo

Some pictures of the tubo fan are on the GTBA web site

http://www.gtba.cnuce.cnr.it/LINK.HTM

This is a front veiw of the fan on the test Bed

Name:	35006_18780.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	21796  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.