Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Worlds Fastest RC Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Worlds Fastest RC Jet

Old 12-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worlds Fastest RC Jet

Eddie

Let's not forget ur Turbine Powered car U can go for a speed record with that at the same time.

Ian
Old 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Any update on this event? Myself and a Team from Europe are very keen to attend. Will be a open competition, or invite only?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:54 PM
EddieWeeks

http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/WAC/UAV_Tryouts.htm

Fill out the form and your good to go...

Eddie Weeks
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM
iflynething

Simply amazing. I'd love to show up to this. Its a long time from now. My dad might be interested in going to this. Would be a long drive from here in North Carolina.

But there will be online videos, but this should be very, very interesting!! I can't wait for more information to get out! Can't wait!!

~Michael~
Old 12-20-2005, 05:24 PM
EddieWeeks

This is not an event or is it open to the general public.

Its only for pilots who register there plane and then the plane passes an on site inspection.

There will be lots of video…
Old 12-20-2005, 05:31 PM
iflynething

Oh, ok. That's cool then. I'm sure there will be alot of crashes. Good to see when the plane's going 250+!!

Can't wait for it to go down

Good Luck

~Michael~
Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 PM
EddieWeeks

There is a good chance there will be no crashes... !!!.. I have been to a number of jet events
where the worst thing was a bent gear...
Old 12-20-2005, 05:56 PM
iflynething

That is very true. I guess when you fly jets, you can't afford to crash. Well some can afford to, but you get my drift!!

What speeds are you talking about jets at this "UAV Meeting" reaching? 300+, 350?

~Michael~
Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Hopefully someone will have the foresight to make a video of this...

Top speeds...Im guessing perhaps a little over 300mph. At the last jet fly-in here there was a plane topping out at about 268mph according to my calculations. The local sheriffs dept radar gun stopped clocking at 200mph. Based on distance vs time to travel calculations Im getting that it was going about 268mph wide open, give or take 5-7mph.

You havent lived until you see one of those turbines come screaming down the runway topping 200mph.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

It was ripping so fast it would about give you whiplash trying to follow it with your eyes....awesome.

I will not mention pilots name or aircraft, as I know there is a 200mph limit as set forth by the AMA, and I dont want him to get in trouble. But man.....that was awesome.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
iflynething

I can't wait guys.....

~Michael~
Old 12-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Has anybody ever put an Olympus HP In a EuroSport??? HeHeHe!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:55 AM
EddieWeeks

Important Update on location..

http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/WAC/UAV_Tryouts.htm

EddieWeeks
Old 01-04-2006, 12:00 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anybody ever put an Olympus HP In a EuroSport??? HeHeHe!
would not be fast at all .. its a dragy airframe ... someone has put a p200 in one, im sure verticals are great however ..

Wojtek
Old 01-04-2006, 12:19 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone post google earth links to the two above locations?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:35 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Can someone post google earth links to the two above locations?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51273.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	380935  
Old 01-04-2006, 02:03 PM
seanreit

Sorry ben, I meant like this:

http://seanreit.dynalias.net/jlhouse.kmz
Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
seanreit

That's Jim Lovell's house at Lake LBJ in Texas. He lives just a few doors down from my uncle there. One interesting cool thing about his house, on the back side facing the water, there are 5 stained glass circular windows of each of his mission patches. They are about 24 inches in diameter each. They really do look good.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:13 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Sorry ben, I meant like this:

http://seanreit.dynalias.net/jlhouse.kmz

Sorry.....my bad!!!!!.........lol
Old 01-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sean, we need a photo of that!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:54 PM
seanreit

I just went through all my picture folders, can't find the one I thought I had, next time I'm out there this next summer I'll shoot a few pics. The big house on the end is my uncle's, since that photo was taken he put in a heli pad. It's pretty cool.

http://seanreit.dynalias.net/nhouse.kmz
Old 01-07-2006, 05:05 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Guys, I would encourage you to rethink this for several reasons.

First, there is no way to keep the AMA out of this if your plane hurts someone and you are an AMA member. The plaintiff's attorney is the controlling factor here, and gets to decide who gets pulled into the lawsuit.

Second, it will likely raise the issue of speed control with the AMA once again.

Thirdly, you are exposing the manufacturer to lawsuit, not just yourself and the AMA.

Finally, the FAA is currently involved in drafting regulations for UAVs. Declaring this a UAV event brings potential FAA interest, and we all know what happened the last time they got involved.

While I respect your desire to go fast, you are creating risk for the entire jet community in a number of ways, and I would encourage you to think more globally.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:09 AM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys,

I have to second Keith’s concerns.

In the last several years the jet community has made very good progress in advancing its status with the AMA, which has resulted in significant gains in the regulations that govern our part of the hobby. The few detractors that we have can only point to isolated incidences involving a single pilot. An event like this will replace the blanks they have been firing at us with a magazine full of magnum loads. Progress in the future will be very difficult, if even possible, and in fact just holding ground may be a real issue.

The FAA defines a model aircraft a UAV when it is not used for recreational purposes. This thread clearly shows that this is a recreational event, the UAV definition does not work. Also I feel fairly certain that no one has gone to the FAA to obtain the certificate of authorization that is required for UAV operations (and please don’t, the model jet world does not need to stir up the FAA any more than it already has in the last year). Currently the FAA does tend to look the other way when legitimate companies do UAV work, and not hold them to the COA, but apparently that is changing soon (sort of reminds you of how they handled model events at airports). I do know that when a UAV project at my office planed a flight they got the COA from the FAA. Yes there are model event that use the UAV title. SAE and AIAA have modeling event for college engineering students that use the title, but they are run according to the AMA safety code, and every one involved knows the UAV title is just window dressing for the students.

This event may provide a bit of fun for a few participants, but it will be at the cost of the jet community here in the US.

I do understand your desire to do this. As an Aerospace engineer I would love to show you what can really be done. But it is not practical, and the cost far out weighs the benefit.

Steven Ellzey
Old 01-08-2006, 11:03 AM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe, we who want this should take it out of the US because without the blessings of the AMA, FAA, Torte lawyers, aerospace engineerts, BVM himself, I believe we are screwed. Let's just drop it a little further south, or keep it under wraps. Now you know who you can't invite. Land of the free, right!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:12 AM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

Guys,

I have to second Keith’s concerns.

In the last several years the jet community has made very good progress in advancing its status with the AMA, which has resulted in significant gains in the regulations that govern our part of the hobby. The few detractors that we have can only point to isolated incidences involving a single pilot. An event like this will replace the blanks they have been firing at us with a magazine full of magnum loads. Progress in the future will be very difficult, if even possible, and in fact just holding ground may be a real issue.

The FAA defines a model aircraft a UAV when it is not used for recreational purposes. This thread clearly shows that this is a recreational event, the UAV definition does not work. Also I feel fairly certain that no one has gone to the FAA to obtain the certificate of authorization that is required for UAV operations (and please don’t, the model jet world does not need to stir up the FAA any more than it already has in the last year). Currently the FAA does tend to look the other way when legitimate companies do UAV work, and not hold them to the COA, but apparently that is changing soon (sort of reminds you of how they handled model events at airports). I do know that when a UAV project at my office planed a flight they got the COA from the FAA. Yes there are model event that use the UAV title. SAE and AIAA have modeling event for college engineering students that use the title, but they are run according to the AMA safety code, and every one involved knows the UAV title is just window dressing for the students.

This event may provide a bit of fun for a few participants, but it will be at the cost of the jet community here in the US.

I do understand your desire to do this. As an Aerospace engineer I would love to show you what can really be done. But it is not practical, and the cost far out weighs the benefit.

Steven Ellzey

I agree with Steve. Speed with our turbine models has been a touchy subject with AMA but its not just that. I can't help to think if a show/event is held somewhere to showcase the speed of some of our models, ( the public/media/etc.etc. thinks of as toys in most cases ) I think it could open the eyes of someone who could make it very ruff on the jet community. If we open the door and flaunt
all out speed I think we will see a backlash. .......my 2 cents.

David Hudson

Old 01-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me that this may just be a natural side-effect of the rule changes over the last few years. The changes favored the "bigger is better" crowd with increased thrust, weight limits etc, but those who wanted the newest speed limit reg revoked or changed have been ignored or attacked. When regulation changes ignore any component of the community, then it shouldn't be hugely surprising if that component may sometimes seek creative ways to get what they want by working around the official channels that elected to ignore them. I'm not saying it's "right" for anyone to seek ways of getting around the rules, just that it's fairly predictable IMO.

Yeah, I know I'll probably get flamed again for saying the above, but so be it.

BTW, does anybody know what the rule is for an AMA member flying jets in Canada ? IIRC, MAAC has a speed limit of 250 mph, not 200 - and the AMA has a reciprocal agreement with MAAC so that AMA members may fly under MAAC and vice versa ... but is the AMA member flying in Canada limited to 200 (due to him being an AMA member) mph or 250 (due to him flying under Canadian reg's) ?

Gordon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.