Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-15 flying off grass???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-15 flying off grass???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster F-15 flying off grass???

Curious about flying the Skymaster F-15 off grass fields. Would like to know the length of your field, wet weight, and turbine size along with how much runway are you eating up to get the F-15 airborne.

thanks,

JR
Old 11-29-2005, 12:29 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Default RE: Skymaster F-15 flying off grass???

WOW, i was thinking of posting the exact same thread.. If anyone has this info please share.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Smuttley

Very interested in this one myself as I have one on the bench almost ready to go with a P120 in it, I fly from a very nice grass strip about 80m long but surrounded by trees and am hoping to get it out and back!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Smuttley

On a related subject, I am having a little trouble with the elevons ie slack in the pivot shaft I am getting some play and was wondering if this is normal and can I get away with it in fight? Or do they suffer from flutter?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

I fly from a 600ft, smooth, grass strip. Mine would take on average 300ft to get airborne with a P-120 at 32lbs wet take off weight (Jet Tech four tank set up) using a rolling start. Stopping at the end of the runway and letting the turbine spin up to full throttle before releasing the brakes shaved about 25-50ft from the roll.

Smuttley, what kind of slack are you experiencing? I went with HD ball links, HD aluminum servo arms, and titanium linkages and there was no play in the setup, but there was some play in the 8611 gear train. The plane flew smooth with that setup. (Elevon version)

Here are pictures of my linkage setup: http://www.kc-10.net/forum/showpost....&postcount=110
Old 11-29-2005, 02:33 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Thanks for the info Lt. Dan. BTW how many flights do you have off of the grass. And how are the retracts/struts/airframe holding up, and are you using the skymaster "combo pack" retracts that are offered from dreamworks? Thanks again.

Michael
Old 11-29-2005, 04:04 PM
AirPac Models

Michael ,
Both Skymaster or Dreamworks offer Robart 630 retracts in the go fly combo pack. It's the same.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,
I flew my Simjet 2300 powered one almost exclusively off grass.It was aileron version,and carried 48oz smoke oil also.Takeoffs in 2-300 ft.A little flap shortens the roll.Lands in less.Will slow to a crawl,and extremely stable at high AOA approaches.Awesome airplane.Only reason I sold it was it was a little slow for my taste on the top end.Draggy airframe.Gear doors add 10-20
mph.Developed some stress cracks at the forwrd edge of the main gear door openings due to aircraft flexing on takeoff on grass.Mine was one of the first production ones to hit the states,and I think they have extended the carbon fiber reinforcement there now.You will love this plane.Straight and honest.Good luck.
Erik
Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Lt. Dan

ORIGINAL: mugenkidd

Thanks for the info Lt. Dan. BTW how many flights do you have off of the grass. And how are the retracts/struts/airframe holding up, and are you using the skymaster "combo pack" retracts that are offered from dreamworks? Thanks again.

Michael
I highly recommend the HD trunions from Seirra. The Robart retracts will get loose from the heavy weight combined with grass use. I used the Skymaster combo pack gear with no problems.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
pilott34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used HD ball links on mine too. On the other side I used the Dubro locking clevises with the H9 titanium pushrods. Not much slop at all on this setup. One thing I ABSOLUTELY recommend is strengthening the gear mount former. Its really not strong enough for grass ops in my opinion. I would put a CF plate on top of the mount. One thing I did was to laminate CF cloth between two pieces of 1/8" ply. While it was drying, I put it in my bench vice for a nice tight hold. When I removed the ply/cf laminate...I cut the piece to fit on top of the former from a paper template I made. Unfortunately, I did all of this AFTER I cracked the former.

Mike
Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Lt. Dan

ORIGINAL: pilott34

I used HD ball links on mine too. On the other side I used the Dubro locking clevises with the H9 titanium pushrods. Not much slop at all on this setup. One thing I ABSOLUTELY recommend is strengthening the gear mount former. Its really not strong enough for grass ops in my opinion. I would put a CF plate on top of the mount. One thing I did was to laminate CF cloth between two pieces of 1/8" ply. While it was drying, I put it in my bench vice for a nice tight hold. When I removed the ply/cf laminate...I cut the piece to fit on top of the former from a paper template I made. Unfortunately, I did all of this AFTER I cracked the former.

Mike
I believe the newer models from the factory have these improvements already. We had early production models.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:32 PM
jetflyer

Great information guys. I do appreciate it as well as others too I see.

JR
Old 11-30-2005, 08:42 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Dan is correct, the B model has many improvements over the original C model. Carbon reinforced gear mounts, factory assembly with Hysol, additional scale detail, fiberglass canopy frame... just to name a few.
As Dan stated, the Sierra HD Trunions for the robart 630's are a must if flying this plane off grass.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59254.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	362469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68865.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	362470  
Old 11-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen Dan's F-15 fly from grass numerous times and it handled the grass strip well.....Even after the strip was heavily fertilized (Which made the grass grow very thick) Dan's plane handled the grass strip with ease. Additionally, Dan's F-15 has the full blown Jet Tech four tank setup. Even after a good 8 to 10 minute flight Dan's F-15 still had approximately 1/2 to 1/3 of fuel on board upon landing. If you carry less fuel your takeoff roll will be even shorter.

Kevin
Old 11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc
As Dan stated, the Sierra HD Trunions for the robart 630's are a must if flying this plane off grass.

I know a number of people who really hate pulling stuff out of their aircraft to fix issues like this. If you don't do so already, then maybe offering the Skymaster "Combo gear pack" with the heavy-duty trunions pre-installed would be a nice marketing touch ? (Or, if you guys are doing enough business with Robart, maybe you could have them simply supply improved trunions from the get-go rather than paying for original trunions AND replacements ?)

Just a thought ...

Gordon
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the first I've ever heard about these Sierra HD trunions. What is HD about them? What is different? How much? Do they go in with the criclips or the older style screwed in trunion? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:01 PM
lov2flyrc

Gordon,
Thought of that, and already attempted to get Robart to make improvements to the 630 trunion, their reply was "Something to think about". For those that deal with Robart on a weekly basis, I somewhat hesitate to ask them to change anything, it takes ages just to get stock, changes would just delay me getting my regular product []
Aso considered a Upgrade combo with the HD trunions installed but, I have found some prefer the "Softer" trunion, theory being it is a built in flex plate. I now just offer a discount on the trunions when a combo pack is purchased, will install them for free if the customer wishes.

Woket,
There are two reasons the Sierra HD trunions are an improvement over the OEM units. First is of course material, the Sierra units are machined from 7075-T6 aluminum, much stronger metal. Second is the way the trunion is machined, Sierra has added a radius to the trunion fingers, eliminating the hard corner which is the weak spot on the OEM unit. The fingers also carry more material as seen below.... Pic one is an OEM trunion, Pic two is a Sierra HD. These are for the newer version of the 630 series, HD units are 27.95
Todd

BTW.... I also carry a Sierra HD trunion for the 635 series as well. Not really required for load, but due to the stronger material, the dont tend to develop the slop typically seen in the OEM unit

Name:	Ay73323.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	362563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21470.jpg
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	362564  
Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
jetflyer

Todd,

How much are the Sierra HD trunion for the 635 series?

JR
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM
lov2flyrc

JR,
The 635 Series are 32.95, found [link=http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=633]Here[/link]

I put the wrong price above, the 630 series are 27.95

Name:	Qo41101.jpg
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	362624