Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is Wren 54 MK-II Turbine good ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is Wren 54 MK-II Turbine good ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Wren 54 MK-II Turbine good ?

Hey man..good to see you back online.... Now if we can just round up that GAZZER character, we can start having some intersting discussions again....
Old 12-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Gazzer

Wey Hey!!

TS, welcome back dude!!!!!!!

First and foremost, I only have a Wren MKIII. But then I don't need any other experiences. 4 hours assembly from turbine virgin to stud!!!! Ran first time, starts everytime, support a phone call or email away. Cake and Flapjack, and some english lessons when needed! No finer easier or simpler introduction and if/when it needs service I know how to dissasemble it. Oh and did we like the price?!!!

Yes, I'm an advocate and am among esteemed company in Wren ownership. I am not patriotically stupid, but this is a British Design at its best, and with customer service unparalleled.

Now the debate as to who Sara belongs to is easy to settle. Ever heard of mother nature and the good she does for all.............. Mother Nature of Turbine is "ours" providing we behold, so the chocolate, cake and coffee are all mandatory.

Come on guys she wears the "Wheel of all things turbine" on a necklace!!!!!

To neutral there are a few good engines from various manufacturers, with strengths and weakness's alike. But you asked if it was good and the answer is yes, on its own and as a package with service/support from the manufacturer, and I think it can also be upgraded to the MKIII giving some extra life and progress to be made at great value!!

Perhaps we should try and organise a Wren Owners Convention????? Whose going to set that up then???!!!!!!!!!

By the way a JR PCM 10XII does not fly, dropped it whilst onthe simulator the other day..... who said sims don't cost when you crash!!!!

Gazzer

PS have been soooo busy not able to keep updating as before, but things changing a little so hopefully can keep up but also finish the Facet and then the T33!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 AM
swissflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gazzer

Wey Hey!!

Perhaps we should try and organise a Wren Owners Convention????? Whose going to set that up then???!!!!!!!!!

it was a similar idea for a fly-in only L-39 / MW44..

i think the idea should be promoted...[&:]
Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Heatseeker_Hill

i'd be tempted to look into the heward wasp also . its nearly the same size but 20lb of power.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Big Tony

Just a tip boys be very careful about the wasp I feel its gonna struggle to get 20lb

It won the gtba eff award but at 16lb @ 150k - 5K+ their quoted max rpm. and egt of 650

It was said the lower thrust was due to an over sized exhaust cone (4.5mm bigger)

I'm no turbine engineer so I asked a bloke who is and he said that 1mm reduction COULD increase the temp by upto 50 degrees so that 50 x 4.5 = a very hot engine.

Also look very close at their terms and conditions prices are plus vat so the stated £1425 is £1674 + carriage (not so cheap) thats according to their terms and condition if I'm wrong then so is their terms etc.

Don't jump on me please as I'm as interested to see Phil make a success of his engines as anyone - its just look a bit deeper and wait to see, he may well get the 20lb and my doubts may be unfounded.

All the best

Ant
Old 12-02-2005, 09:13 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: Rutter The Nutter

Just a tip boys be very careful about the wasp I feel its gonna struggle to get 20lb

It won the gtba eff award but at 16lb @ 150k - 5K+ their quoted max rpm. and egt of 650

It was said the lower thrust was due to an over sized exhaust cone (4.5mm bigger)

I'm no turbine engineer so I asked a bloke who is and he said that 1mm reduction COULD increase the temp by upto 50 degrees so that 50 x 4.5 = a very hot engine.

Also look very close at their terms and conditions prices are plus vat so the stated £1425 is £1674 + carriage (not so cheap) thats according to their terms and condition if I'm wrong then so is their terms etc.

Don't jump on me please as I'm as interested to see Phil make a success of his engines as anyone - its just look a bit deeper and wait to see, he may well get the 20lb and my doubts may be unfounded.

All the best

Ant
I feel the same way. ALOT of delays on this turbine. WHY enter an obsolete product in the competition? Has anyone got their turbine yet? Has anyone run one yet? Here's a guy with many years experience and many months of delays? Maybe he needs to control his marketing department? Call me skeptical.....

Dave

Old 12-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Wayne22

Buy a Wren, and sleep peacefully at night............
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Gazzer

My hope is that in time Wren begin producing some larger thrust engines. But then they know exactly what their good at and do it so well, I guess they need not bother!

I was talking with "Fletch" on Tuesday and I mentioned my first witness to Model Jet flight whihc ws the Plamer/Tappin Starjet and JPX. Dogs nadgers and all that, but that was only about 10 years ago. Just look at what has come about in technology terms. I've just bought a new Volvo and it hasn't changed that much, as my old one was 5 1/2 years old!!! Autostart, telemetry, speed senses....... and the thrust output and fuel consumption have all improved beyond recognition.

Ultimately at this point in time a twin SS engined Tornado is my hope! Can't wait to run the engine up again but must get that pesky transmitter sorted first!

Gazzer
Old 12-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Heatseeker_Hill

i have the wasp in my hands and all these rumours created about it are untrue. there have been delays as Phil who builds them wants them to be perfect before sent out and all new engines have small problems. at the gtba eff it was using a different tailpipe to try and improve efficiency. from what i have seen the engine has no problems with temperature at all or anything else and is a remarkable engine as i'm sure you'll all see on the circuit next year. if you want to play safe then wrens are bomb proof engines for the most part but as a modeller the few pounds extra thrust is vital. the rumours seem to have been mainly circulated by dealers of other engines which shows a childish and fearful attitude if you ask me . i want to see phil succeed and i have no doubt that he will. and the competition for wren can only be good for turbines and modellers. I'll be flying the wasp at the weekend and i can't predict any problems.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 AM
TREADSTONE

ORIGINAL: Heatseeker_Hill

....at the gtba eff it was using a different tailpipe to try and improve efficiency.
..how...?...

....got any mre detais on this "wasp" turbine.....i'm a bit out of touch with all
this new turbine technologyl..

....thanks .... Dave.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:12 AM
GrayUK

As everyone else has said!

Simply the best, engines, support, and people.

I have 3 Wrens, all great.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
JasonP
My Feedback: (1)

Great product from an innovative company. Sara and the team have gone well beyond and above the standard service practices to
take care of me.You will not lose with any of the Wren products.
The Baby Boomerang is a great product. It's been a delight to deal with Alen and Patricia Cardash.

All the Best
JasonP
Old 12-05-2005, 06:09 PM
JetMonkey

[color=#000000]Been interesting following the discussion about the new Heward Microjets Wasp engine. What I would say to you all is 'Believe The Hype!' The Wasp IS awesome. So ok its taking a bit longer to ship, but then other manufacturer's have had problems with component availability over the past few months too. You will be seeing a LOT of this engine on next years air show circuit and I believe one is being flown this weekend. Can anyone prove me wrong by saying that another manufacturers prototype design won any kind of competition on it's first attempt/entry?

20 lb thrust is a lot of bang for ya buck, so to speak, and the fact that it is considerably cheaper (approx £200) than Wrens Super-Sport. I have witnessed with my own eyes that the Wasp engine runs within the stated figures, which incidentally is a lot cooler than the Super Sport. Yes, Wren have been established for a few years now but it is only recently that their Super Sport has been released. I have the privilege of owning three of Phills previous engines and they all run faultlessly, every time

As for cakes and flap-jacks, they're alright I guess, but jet 'juice' tastes a whole bunch better and sweeter!

JM
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Phill H

I know were just going to have to stop all these rumors by getting a few engines reviewed and flying.
Yes the egt can go up 50c or more with a 1mm reduction in jet nozzle diameter on this size engine. but only if it increases the jetpipe pressure enough to slow down the turbine relative to the amount of fuel being burned.
to put it in english. if its got a 50mm nozzle, reducing it to 49mm wont make half as much difference if it was 40mm and reduced to 39.

It does indeed give 20lb at full rpm with the correct size nozzle fitted, and I would be the first person to be worried about temperatures but im not. and as Norman said after the sfc competition:

"I also viewed the rear at full rpm and it was nice and black.
Well done.
Norman"

the only reason it was showing 650c was because the thermocouple had to be 7mm inside the nozzle so that the ecu could be tricked into registering a high enough temperature to start.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Phill H

about the t&c's as well. the VAT is not extra. It is being paid by us for the first year. so the £1425 price is what you pay plus £5-50 shipping depending where you are. that is how we are working the introductory price.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Phill H

I feel the same way. ALOT of delays on this turbine. WHY enter an obsolete product in the competition? Has anyone got their turbine yet? Has anyone run one yet? Here's a guy with many years experience and many months of delays? Maybe he needs to control his marketing department? Call me skeptical.....

Dave

what do you mean by obsolete. Its a brand new design just entering the delivery stage of the first 20 engines. its beat everything in terms of fuel efficiency. where else do you get a full autostart 20lb engine for £1425.
no one has their engines yet, they are shipping this week.
Why the delays?
Because this year besides the wasp I have also designed and developed 75lb, 80lb, 200lb turbojets and a 400lb turbofan. my workload became kind of full.

the design, development and production department consists of me between the hours of 10am-12 midnight, my marketing department consists of me from midnight -3am if im lucky. I cant promise anything but ill have a word with them.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Wayne22

Perhaps a new thread needs to be opened on the wasp, as the original post was about the MW-54.........
Old 12-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Big Tony

Phil H was there a wren in the competion.?????? Maybe we will have to wait until next year to see how the wasp performs against them.

All the best

Ant
Old 12-06-2005, 05:08 AM
j.duncker

This thread has moved off the original topic and is, in part, a discussion about a different turbine.

If anyone wishes to start a new thread on this turbine please feel free to do so.

! will be closing this thread in 2 hours as I feel that it has served its purpose.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:11 AM
j.duncker

Thread closed