Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Cool 3D SU-30 Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Cool 3D SU-30 Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cool 3D SU-30 Video

I'd never seen this one and I'm impressed!
Also, the first time I've seen the chutes popped before touchdown.
http://www.aviationexplorer.com/Sukh...ow_Flights.htm
Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cool 3D SU-30 Video

Very impressive!
A historical note regarding drag chutes....................
In years gone bye, the Boeing B-47 bomber used a 16 foot decelleration/drag chute on final approach in order to keep the airspeed down, allowing the pilot to keep the engine thrust up-----the GE J-47 engines, as well as most if not all other turbojets of that period, were very slow to spool up. At final approach airspeed, with RPM up and thrust available, the pilot could pickle the chute and make a go around if necessary, without having to sweat out a long spool up from low RPM. The B-47 was pretty slippery.......
After touchdown, the drag chute was released, and the 32 foot "ribbonslot" braking chute was deployed.
It later became common practice to deploy the 32 footer on very short final for additional in flight braking.

I've seen this done, many times.
As a young "Blue Suiter", I was assigned to Amarillo AFB on April 10, 1963, and there were still a few of them burning JP-4. The B-52 had been in service for some time, but there were still a few B-47's in the USAF active inventory.

Somewhere I still have my class photo taken on the top of the left hand wing of one of our squadron's B-47's.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Air Force Association Life Member
Old 12-11-2005, 08:54 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool stuff, Harley!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:12 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Awsome video, gotta love those sukhoi s
Old 12-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

Thanks Mark P.

I built a Franz Walti SU 27 twin, same configuration but without the Front Canards. I had the kit unopened in my garage for close to 2 years and I finally decided to buy a book on the plane and start building. At the time it was not my favorite ship in my sqaudren, so I sort of built it fast and really did not care much of the finish,,, but let me say this I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND. That SU flew so good, and had such an awesome pressence in the air,, I went over the entire plane made it look right and on my 9 flight The main wood ply spare broke and the wings collapsed on a slow level flyby. OH NO NOTHING LEFT>>>>> never the less ONE GREAT FLYING & LOOKING PLANE.

Kevin Marks
Scottsdale