Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kangaroo gear

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kangaroo gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 02:06 AM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kangaroo gear

Hello everyone, Im doing a retrofit on a kangaroo for a freind of mine. Originally it came with spring-air gear and he purchased the robart set with glennis wheels and brakes. I installed the mains with no problem, but I ran into a problem with the nose gear. For one, the robart strut is about 3 inches longer than the spring air. Consequently, if I were to attach a gear mount to the rear of the nose former, the retracted gear will hit the box that holds all the electronics. I was thinking of attaching to the front of the former and clearancing the bottom of th fomer for the air cylinder and strut when retracted. Also, this gear will make the roo sit at a high nose angle. Is this normal? Does anyone have a roo with robart gear? How did you mount it?
Thanks in advance
Evan Q.
http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/home.html
no jets on my page YET. Im eyeballing that new BVM F-86 tho!
Old 11-16-2002, 03:14 AM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Roo Nose Gear

I have a Roo with the Robart retracts and Robostruts made for the Kangaroo.

It definitely sits "nose high". From the bottom of the fuse to the ground measures 7.875" (with a 2.625" Glennis nose wheel).

The Robart mains sit 6.5" from the fuse to the ground (with a 3" Glennis main wheels and brakes).

Here is a pic during construction that shows the geometry described above.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35825_192.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	22751  
Old 11-16-2002, 06:57 AM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Default pics

Great pic Nick, Thanks. Do you have a shot of the interior showing the nose gear mount? Either from above or below. Thanks
Evan Q.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:33 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Default Kangaroo gear

Evan,

Leave the springair for the nose gear! I did the same switch about 16 months ago and have been using Robart mains and springair nose for hundreds of flights....Springair is plenty strong enough for the nose and mounts easier... Also, eliminating most of that positive angle of attack on the roo will help you avoid the hops down the runway on landings...Not needed for rotation!
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35872_211.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	22752