Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Oakdale F-14 Tomcat...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Oakdale F-14 Tomcat...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Rahlberg13-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oakdale F-14 Tomcat...

Hi all,

I‘ve been getting quite a bit of email regarding the Oakdale F14 on this thread, and wanted to clarify a few things. First off, the F14 project Aldous is working on is his F14, and is not the Oakdale F14. Secondly, the Oakdale F14 was designed and tooled by Oakdale and all kit manufacturing will be done by Oakdale, here in the United States. Attached are a couple picts of the real Oakdale F14. All parts in the photos show the fully molded components. If you’d like more information about the kit or have any specific questions, check out http://www.oakdaleaircraft.com/f14.htm or you can email or PM me directly.

Thanks

Russ
Oakdale Aircraft

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92087.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	609717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92825.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	609718  
Old 01-30-2007, 12:42 AM
aldousyuen

Hi Russ and all,

Right. Recently I have a split opinion with Russ of Oakdale. Even after a few years of waiting, I still don't want to compromise. F-14 is unique, and well deserves our hard work to make the kit the best of the best. I want a F-14, not something just looks like.

All the details that I described here may not be available on the Oakdale kit. Hope the picts that Russ and I posted so far are self-explanatory enough to show the difference.

Apparently Russ has made a decision to produce his kit, not using my design and the tooling. The F-14 that I design and build will be called "Aldous Design F-14" to avoid confusion. I will not post anything further to this Oakdale thread. Will create my own thread so please PM or EMail me for the time being.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Cheers, Aldous.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:51 AM
aldousyuen

Hey Russ,

I order not to further confuse others, please replace the picts of the F-14 that I built with your own picts in http://www.oakdaleaircraft.com/f14.htm.

Thanks, Aldous.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Rahlberg13-delete

It seems that there needs to be some further clarification regarding the difference between these two projects. A few things are being said that are in fact not true.

-Regardless of what kind of details are being shown in the "Aldous F14", all panel lines, vents, hatches, strakes, etc are currently in the mold and will be included in the Oakdale kit.

-Next, the images on the Oakdale website are of the actual fully molded Oakdale kit, not of the Aldous F14.

-Lastly, and most importantly, this is an Oakdale design. It has been from the beginning. I should know because I did the CAD models.

Russ
Oakdale Aircraft
Old 01-31-2007, 02:25 PM
aldousyuen

I thought Oakdale F-14 and Aldous Design F-14 will co-exist, just like F-15s by various vendors. However, I'm very disappointed by the latest post as 'being said that are in fact not true' and must say something.

- Firstly, and most importantly. I'm the original designer and creator of the F-14 CAD files and Oakdale's F-14 is based on my files, from the beginning. In March 2003, Using Avonds F-14 plan as the base for former contour and other reference materials, including Tamiya large scale plastic kit, Grumman F-14 Tomcat by Jon Lake, and 1988 F-14 Tomcat Koku-Fan (See the attached picts), to create the CAD drawings in Autocad. As Russ is interested in and promised to produce a F-14, I shared the former files with him. He used the former files, and did a CAD model using Solidworks, intended for CNC. The model turned up just a F-14 look alike and not up to my standard. F-14, the Tomcat designed in 1960s has essence that must be preserved in the kit to make it a F-14. I know the supplier of Oakdale uses it to manually build the plugs. The production slipped, slipped and slipped. After 3 years, the supplier gradually come up with the tooling. I actually asked Russ to reject the tooling, and will chip-in to produce the kit because the wait is too long, but he refused.

Let the facts speak for itself. Where, how and when did Oakdale got the contour to do the CAD model? As the original designer, there are places where I specially modified which are unique. Also, when the Oakdale F-14 is cut into sections, my CAD contour drawings will fit. If Oakdale is using my files to create the CAD model, it's incorrect to claim that 'it has been from the beginning'.

Name:	Ca81520.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	610804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52599.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	610805  
Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 PM
aldousyuen

- Oakdale's website has been showing the picts of the F-14 prototype that I designed and built since it's day one (The picts were taken in August 25, 2003). As such, people visiting Oakale website's F-14 page in the past 2 years+ are Aldous F-14 prototype, and expects that the Oakdale kit will look like it. I checked the website page yesterday morning after Russ submited post #52. My pictures are still there so I requested Russ to replace it to avoid further confusion (post #53). So the website shows the images of 'the actual fully molded Oakdale kit' only started yesterday after I asked him to do so.

To show that what you've seen in the past in the Oakdale website is the F-14 that I built (I attach the picts here to recall your memory), I take some new picts of the original prototype (modified a bit to accept the one piece hatch) with the reference materials and post here. I split opinion with Russ because people saw the prototype picts on the website in the past fews years (and also waited for years) will at the end receive a kit different than they expect. Having working with Russ for years and shared my F-14 and F-35 design, I don't want people complain Oakdale about being cheated. It's not just a passion of hobby, but reputation as well.

I did not ask for anything on creating this F-14. But let's be fair and not to abuse.

Best Regards,
Aldous.

Name:	Bz77270.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	610808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91371.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	610809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42865.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	610810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30666.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	610811   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10262.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	610812  
Old 01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
jetace11

Why don't we just STOP WHINING and make some F-14 kits.

I dont care and never will on who makes the thing.....just make one
Old 01-31-2007, 03:55 PM
aldousyuen

Jetace11,

That was what I intended to do. Why don't we produce 2 different products and let customers have a choice? But something really goes wrong and I must speak up.

Aldous.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM
stomper1983

Hi,aldousyuen. I am Japanase. I want this F-14 kit and waiting this kit a few years ago. This kit sale next mouth?
I want very very very!!! Is this kit open order Oakdales air craft?
Best regard
Stomper1983.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:08 PM
starwoes

ORIGINAL: jetace11

Why don't we just STOP WHINING and make some F-14 kits.

I dont care and never will on who makes the thing.....just make one
LOL!!!! we may never dig through the pieces but one thing i have noticed is when you are in the mix with the fray, passions of the warring factions pour out more readily than 3rd parties can make out....just a part of human nature.

two distinct products, two groups willing to produce. let the flying machines speak!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 AM
jetace11

Sweet
Old 02-01-2007, 05:22 AM
aldousyuen

Hi Stomper1983,

The wait is over. The 'Aldous Design F-14' will be ready by the end of this month and you can order right now. Please Email me. My ID is [email protected]

You should contact Russ instead if you want the "Oakdale F-14". But please be reminded that now "Aldous Design F-14" and "Oakdale F-14" are different products.

Do you live in Japan? I'm flying to Tokyo in March/April. May be we can meet with each other.

Hi Starwoes and all,

When you are so keen and spend years to design and improve one thing, you can pour out tons of facts and design philosophy. In fact I had really bad hard time to decide whether or not to post my reply.

I don't have the authority to create new thread. PM the RCU-webmaster for help but no response yet. Please Email or PM me for the latest Aldous Design F-14 development.

Thanks, Aldous.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:52 AM
aldousyuen

Please check the following url regarding the lastest development of the "Aldous Design F-14".

http://www.rcfreedom.com/index.php?t....msg306#msg306

Thanks, Aldous.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 PM
space monkey

BTW just wondering I saw there were scale retracts being built for this tomcat.... Anyword on the progress of those parts. I am currently builing the 1/12 scale Matt Halton Tomcat and was wondering if those might be a possibility for my cat. Since the 1/10 from jet mart are already too big for me. Also I wonder how much they will cost????