Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Propjet, mig 27 target drone

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Propjet, mig 27 target drone

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 07:25 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propjet, mig 27 target drone

Now thats one big chunk of foam!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36860_9517.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	23236  
Old 11-21-2002, 09:43 PM
f15iceman

that will make one heck of a snow storm if it ever goes in
Old 11-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that one of the old RS Systems ones?
Old 11-21-2002, 11:11 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

It's the second version of the Carl Goldberg Mig 27, the first had a side mounted engine. Chicago Bill and SENECA in the used aircraft section have a bunch for sale. Just got back from the maiden flight for this one, Awesome Awesome Awesome.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:31 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Ahhh...the old CG Migs! Brings back some fond memories . At one point I had 24 of these, 10 of the side engine and 14 of the one pictured above. We used to fly them for the local reserves here, target practice! Yes believe it or not they actually shot at these things. Riddled with holes they still flew great! Mostly powered with K&B 61's, they were marginal with hand launching... Try throwing one of these big beasts into the air, not easy! We ended up putting gear on them. We even covered one or two with econocote, and glassed one. Best performer was with an OS 1.08, man did that thing scream but would always flutter at high speed .
that will make one heck of a snow storm if it ever goes in
Yep....And I believe I still have on video one of them getting shredded as it pass through a tree in a high speed dive that it would not pull out of....This was the one that was glassed, oh was it nasty! Little balls of foam everywhere . I'll see if I can dig out the video and put in online...... Got lots of video of them getting shot at too, one completely disintegrating in flight...

Todd
Old 11-22-2002, 02:49 AM
SRA Foam Flyer

To Lov2flyrc,
what was your method for attaching gear, I had a few emails that said not to bother, that a keel was best. Said the weight was a little too much for the foam too handle landing gear. With the K&B .91 sportster mine came with, it's only a little cumbersome due to size, has a great hand launch. It came in around 6 lbs.
I have 3 but wanted to see what they were like before I got too elaborate with them, I'm going to really doll up the other 2 now that I see how good they perform, I have an ASP 1.08 waiting to be mounted in one, gonna spar the wing for that one.
Also did you ever get to fly the HIND attack helicopter target drone that was actually a gyrocopter? There are zero of these to be found, I think a box of those would be real fun too. They looked fairly detailed.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:08 AM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Default Ahhhh... The drones

Hi All,

I remember these things as well, Todd. Back in my active duty days in Germany, we'd come off the aerial live-fire ranges (I flew AH-64's) at Hoenfels or Grafenwoehr and head straight over to the Vulcan range. These Migs would absolutely disappear when finally hit with 20mm at 3k rounds/minute! I was a very active modeler at our local German club and was able to sweet talk the "Mig Pilots" into flying these beasts on a number of occations.

I remember them coming in 3-packs from RS (3 airframes, 3 engines and one brick receiver/servo unit). The engines supplied back then were the H.P. .61's. I always thought I'd do pretty well in the grey market if I could only go out on the range and recover all those engines!

They used to glue aluminum foil on the leading edges of the wings. This allowed a better radar signature for the vulcan to track. If the Mig didn't have the foil, the weaopn wouldn't lead the airframe accurately, ending-up in a miss.

The guys also rigged-up little drop-boxes on the bottom of the fuselage. They'd fill the box with .223 (M-16) casings and overfly the Vulcans on station. After a few passes, they'd drop the casings on the Vulcans, simulating a bomb or missle strike. I remember the loud, "Pink, ping, ping, pink" sound as 50+ casings danced and bounced off the Vulcan down to the pavement.

Oh, the Good Ol' Days!

Craig
Old 11-22-2002, 03:15 AM
SRA Foam Flyer

AHHHH!!!! so thats what the foil in the accessory box was for, at first I thought it was for epoxy mixing, but it already came with cups, then I thought maybe to laminate over bullet holes.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:25 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

SRA,

We glued a 1/4" plywood plate just behind the CG on the bottom of the plane and just screwed the main gear into the plate. If I remember correctly, there was something for the nose gear leg to attach to already on the version you have. I believe the version you have has an aluminum spar molded into the wing so no further support should be required. The other version just had packing tape running the length of the wing top and bottom for support. I did have one of the HIND gyro's but it was not complete....To be honest, I dont even remember what happend to it?? My friend John (Johng on here) still has one of the migs, have to ask him about the HIND, he might remember where it wound up.
Now that I am thinking about it, we actually flew one of these at the Florida National Guards open house here in Daytona. They had a small parking lot ( 150' x 60' ) and we managed to fly the plane off of. They were allowing people to sit in a vulcan (not a military guy but I think it was one) and attempt to track the Mig.
It's amazing, for as big and bulky as they are, they really do fly quite well.
Yep, miss those "Sky Pigs" as we used to call them....
Hey Craig, I still have one of the brick servo/receiver units, they never could find the transmitter for them so we just threw standard gear in. Vintage equipment, probably a good ebay item by now .
Todd
Old 11-22-2002, 02:53 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

I have one of the rx's, it's a 4 xstal unit with a selector switch. When I took it to the communication class I have we looked at the magnetic spectrum chart and these MHz locations 25, 26, 38 and 41 are reserved for other things now. Owell, I was hoping they would have all been 72 MHz with different chl's.
I guess regarding the gear, I will try it. Since the fuse is hollow, maybe back up the interior with some ply as well and send hardware all the way through. A thick piece of ply for the nose with some rt triangles for support. I was thinking about maybe taking the next one to a vinyl sign and car graphics shop and have them cover it.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:07 PM
Yale
My Feedback: (1)

Default Mig

Mig and aF16
l have 3 Migs ,one with a YS120 and gear,Had to glass the sides to make rigid,flys great also have a F16 drone with a Rossi 90re in it flys good, l fly with a bunch of marines that are in the UAV program here ,They use the migs to train for the uavs,They bring the migs out and have mid airs on purpose,They have 100s of them and don"t care,At the end of day they give them away
Old 11-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I work with Steve Stricker of T.O.C. fame and while he worked at RS Systems he was the person responsible for the design of that plane. It's to bad that Goldberg won the contract when they underbid RS to win it. They found out how hard it is to deal with the government ; it put RS out of business and ruined Goldberg financially to the point that they had no money to run the company correctly. Thank God Bubba has purchased the Goldberg name if history repeats itself he will do great things with them.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Woketman

Ron, whose Bubba? Who purchased Goldberg?

Otherwise, how are ya? How's the house and the new job?
Old 11-23-2002, 02:33 AM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Wocket....

"Bubba" is Bubba Spivey. Owner of Lanier Models and a heck of a nice guy!

Craig
Old 11-23-2002, 03:13 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Mark!
All is well with the job, Steve is my PM for now. He hates the job and wishes he could play with the toys. I have way to many irons in the fire right now until Xmas. I am still working at the hobby shop on weekends, I feel guilty about leaving and Eric not being able to find anyone. I got to fly two weeks ago, burned all of the fuel I had left in the new bobcat. That RAM 750 I got from Dennis runs great! We are coming to FLA Jets this year Steve and Donald too. Talk to you later, I see you on sorry I haven't written
Old 12-01-2002, 11:24 PM
thunderchief

My friend acquired a mig and is now working on it. Can anyone answer the following questions:
where should the CG be located?
it has a lot of down thrust is it needed?
location for landing gear?

My friend is using a 108 on it, any comments or ideas?
thanks, from the Thunderchief
Old 01-27-2003, 01:48 AM
williammillette

HEY GOOD TO HERE THE UPS

THESE ARE COOL AND FLY FANTASTIC WITH THE LANDING GEAR
AND SO EASY TO INSTALL

THE LANDINGS ARE SOFT AND TAKEOFFS SLOW

NO WAY ID FLY WITHOUT THE GEAR

YOUR MISSING HALF THE FUN

ANYBODY WANTS SOME THEY CAN CALL ME AT 239-278-0253
OR 239-839-9124 FOR INFO OR BARGANS, WILL EXCEPT TRADES
STILL HAVE 5 CRATES
Old 06-06-2003, 03:38 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

Well this one ended up being mine after all, so I started working on it. With my first one the nose just cracked off one day in mid flight and was only held on by the bottom wood strip, it piled in and totaled it. I think the vibration got to the foam.
I started on this one and installed some mod to beef up the frame and decided to add some landing gear. I also got rid of the stock ailerons since they didn't perform to well. I am going to use this ASP 1.08 to power it this time.
In the first pic you see the 2 inch aileron stock replacing the original, each wing now has its own servo.

Name:	84349_9517.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	23237  
Old 06-06-2003, 03:40 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

I add a center spine that really stiffens it up, it goes from nose to tail.

Name:	84350_9517.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	23238  
Old 06-06-2003, 03:41 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

Here's the other portion of spine.

Name:	84351_9517.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	23239  
Old 06-06-2003, 03:51 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

Here's the engine, this type mig is designed for the upright engine, but I wanted to side mount it and I added a tune pipe.

Name:	84356_9517.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	23240  
Old 06-06-2003, 11:02 PM
williammillette

hey your getting serious

my god its only foam! capt kirk ha ha ha

hey call me i missed your last call

ps still flying mine stock with a 61 and house paint !
over 100 flights so far.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Woketman

Whiplash, who are you? Mr. Kirsch? Who, WHO?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:28 AM
williammillette

sra foam flyer

are you happy with these drones.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:40 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

Yeah they are excellent flyers and are not really difficult to hand lauch, especially on a breezy day. They are easy enough to train on, yet can be easily modded from it's original control system to be very aerobatic. Someone I fly with says he had one flying with landingear on a .46 glow engine. With the new AXI brushless electric motor that simulates .90 size glow power, I am going to electrify one.
My dad and I are both working on getting 2 flying, the one I pictured here with all the mods and his own. He has routed the dowel channels and epoxied them in, he starts glassing the wing next. He is also going to perform the same fuelage mods that I have and add the landing gear. We are going to try some formation flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.