Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

*** Large F-4 Phantom owners ***

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

*** Large F-4 Phantom owners ***

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:20 PM
hmjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *** Large F-4 Phantom owners ***

i have a masterfly f4 he still in the box since 1992. the CG is 34.5 cm of mediun cord seeing from the leading edge wing root.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Larry K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny, I flew this particular model for at least 4 seasons in it's previous life as a ducted fan. It was powered by two BVM .91s with Viojets and BVM F-16 ducting. I believe it came in around 27lbs dry. It flew like a trainer plane! It was very forgiving and even with many engine out's it still had no problem. The C.G. was perfect when I flew it, but I'm not sure of the location. On takeoff it did not jump or lurch off the ground like some F-4's. I would ease up on the speed to be safe. I think with a little weight as a turbine, it will fly even better.

Good Luck!!

Larry
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Thanks Larry and hmjets. My CG was wrong going by that measure.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Johnny

it's probably just the angle of the photo on deck but it appears to me that the incidence on deck is too flat. that could delay rotation, causing severe pitch up at take off, or worse yet exceed tire speed.

a slight positive stance on deck wouldn't hurt, especially with the Peggy trying to push her down the runway possibly compressing the nose strut and worsening an already flat AOA.

I'm sure the bro's out in Germany have better guidance and look forward to hearing / seeing the first flight report. paint job looks sweet, that's one sexy bizatch!!

good luck

Buck
Old 06-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Johnny

it's probably just the angle of the photo on deck but it appears to me that the incidence on deck is too flat. that could delay rotation, causing severe pitch up at take off, or worse yet exceed tire speed.

a slight positive stance on deck wouldn't hurt, especially with the Peggy trying to push her down the runway possibly compressing the nose strut and worsening an already flat AOA.

I'm sure the bro's out in Germany have better guidance and look forward to hearing / seeing the first flight report. paint job looks sweet, that's one sexy bizatch!!

good luck

Buck
Buck has some excellent points and I also agree that you may need more positive AOA on the nose---But here are a few things to ponder...If your Rhino was built dead on scale the main gear will be located in a position that hinders rotation with our models...That position is pretty far back if built scale..The thing is that no one here has stated where the main gear is located on Johnny's F-4---Is the main gear in the scale location or was some "fudging" done to allow for better rotation...If the model rotates smoothly then chances are the gear was moved forward a tad. (Which is what I would actually want) If the model leaps from the ground, even though you have sufficient positive AOA on the nose, the gear is more than likely in the scale location...Provided you have your CG on the money and not too far forward...Maybe all of this will be of some help as to what to somewhat expect on that knee knocking maiden....

Kevin
Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned

I do agree with Buck and Kevin, the AOA has to come up. As far as this Jolapy being scale, it is not even close to scale. This thing was made to fly, they tweeked all they could for it to fly, kinda like Byron did with that big F-15. I'll make sure that the AOA changes this weekend and try to fly it.

Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:41 PM
DaveMatthews

Johnny,

This may help

http://homepage.eircom.net/~skycam/L...its/videos.htm

Take a look at the CJM big F-4 video of my 1997 model. As you can see not much AOA there, but got off fine.

Cheers and best of luck with the maiden.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Kevin Greene

ORIGINAL: Jetflyer 24

As far as this Jolapy being scale, it is not even close to scale. This thing was made to fly, they tweeked all they could for it to fly, kinda like Byron did with that big F-15.

----It sure looks good though, Johnny!!! I wouldn't mind havin' 'er in my hangar!!! Let us know how the flight goes...

Kevin
Old 06-08-2006, 04:02 PM
PhilLin

My JHH F-4 is only 68-inches long, but it is probably among those closest to scale. There are a couple of points that might apply to your larger F-4:

1st, The main gears are quite far back. In elevation view, if you draw a line from C of G to ground contact point (estimate its height above wing), I get about 43-degrees instead of the 20-25 for easy rotation. Beside increased AOA setting mentioned in above post, I would make sure you have the recommended tailplane deflection to get airplane nose up. And don't forget to put back on hi-rate when landing, if dual rate elev is used, or it tends to come in hotter even with flaps.

2nd, my F-4 need flap to elevator (for nose up) mix for landing. Again enuf elev travel is helpful so you can still control attitude. You probably know these already from your smaller F-4. Good luck with your maiden.

Phil
Old 06-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Here are some pics of me and Tim with General Cherry who flew Phantoms back in Vietnam. He flew a camo scheme F-4 very similar to mine and Johnnys. I love my Phantom more and more after each flight. -Patrick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91157.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	474533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18372.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	474534  
Old 06-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hm, i've always been wondering why everyone is making such ugly high alpha nosewheel struts on the F-4. It just does not look right...

Johnny, don't worry about the alpha, leave it as it is, it works out just fine. All the phantoms here are flying with scale length and scale alpha. (The one on the far right in the white and blue was done by my comrade according to McDonnell factory drawings, it has scale strut length and aoa). Noone has any sorts of problems and they all rotate smoothly.

One more flying hint, coming from a full size F-4 driver. The real thing usually does aft stick takeoffs. Line up with runway, spoolup, release brakes when passing 80% and pull full aft stick. Wait until nosewheel unsticks and then smoothly release on the elevator. Hold the nose up until the plane flies off on its own.

It works for the models just like it does on the real thing. Key is to hold up elevator during the entire taxi run to unstick the nosewheel as early as possible. Give it a try, that way you don't have to pull tricks with an ugly nose strut setup :-)
I'll get back to you with throws and CG tomorrow
Best regards
Hank

Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Kevin Greene

ORIGINAL: Miniflyer

Hm, i've always been wondering why everyone is making such ugly high alpha nosewheel struts on the F-4. It just does not look right...

It actually is right for carrier based F-4's and BVM's F-4 has done it the best---You hit a switch to extend the nose strut to full length for takeoff as done in full scale carrier ops...BVM's F-4 strut accomplishes this with air...
Old 06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned

Those are some cool pictures Hank, thanks a bunch. I'll be doing the maiden in the next few days and try to have or post a video of it, if not some pictures. Once again, thanks for all the help. Hopefully, Michigan Jets will be the first meet for this beast
Old 06-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Miniflyer

Kevin you're right, but i've seen the strut a lot on the long nose F-4E and F variants....that's just off and looks bad. My opinion...and it works scale if flown correctly :-)

Johnny, i'm standing next to my comrades plane now. Locations and throws as follows:

CG: 31cm from wing root on fuselage (very front, not the front of the small part that is molded on!). +/- 1cm makes no difference. DO NOT go beyond 33cm or it will get mushy and tailheavy!

Throws:
Aileron 2.8cm up, 2.4cm down
Elevator +/-3cm on LE, slight "up trim" for neutral
Rudder 7cm both sides at TE bottom
Flaps 5.6cm. Elevator goes UP (!!!) 0.7cm for full flaps down

Good luck on the maiden

Hank
Old 06-10-2006, 12:08 PM
PhilLin

Hank aka Miniflyer, can I bother you with also getting the root chord measurement at the fuse junction? I'd like to see how the deflections in a different scale F-4 compare. TIA!

Phil
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Kevin Greene

ORIGINAL: Miniflyer

Kevin you're right, but i've seen the strut a lot on the long nose F-4E and F variants....that's just off and looks bad. My opinion...and it works scale if flown correctly :-)

Hank
You're right and they should pony up the bucks for the strut that will extend and retract---Hell, you've spent $$$$$ of dollars on the plane...Another few hundred to make it look right is no step for a stepper!!!

Kevin
Old 06-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Miniflyer

Phil, i'll get back on that as soon as i speak to him again, in the next few days.

Kevin, i think you got me wrong on that. The E and F versions (the one with the gun and the long nose) never had the extending strut. You can get along without it just fine, and there is also no need to make it longer, the short strut will rotate just fine if takeoffs are performed correctly.

Greets
Hank
Old 06-11-2006, 11:32 AM
JetflyerJ
Banned

Ok everything is set ( throws, AOA and CG ). We're having terrible weather down here so as soon as we get a break, maiden will take place. Thank you all for your help and I will post the end result.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:40 AM
Jason R.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck with it.

JR
Old 06-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Miniflyer

Just out of curiosity, how did you set up the nosewheel now? *g*

Regards
Old 08-18-2006, 08:19 PM
pbusa1400

nice flying jet johnny
Old 08-18-2006, 08:49 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned

ORIGINAL: pbusa1400

nice flying jet johnny

The Beast finally flew today in the more than capable hands of pbusa1400 [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] ( i left my b@l$$ at home, I was waaaay too nervous to do the first flight ).

First we had some issues with one of the wheels that was locked and everyone jumped in and got it loose. The jet was very very slow, I mean the only high speed pass I would say was at 35 MPH TOPS, we all thought that it was history but she hung in there and climb to about 200 ft after 3 minutes at Full throttle than POOOOFFF ( Deadstick ) ran out of fuel, we all said bye bye.......

She glided to a beautiful landing, we were all shocked to see that its such a baby. My BV F-4 would've been so history, its not even funny of how slow this thing flies. We have to find out what the problem is because everyone at the field was saying that it wasn't pushing more than 25 lbs max.

So there you have it guys, after almost 5 years the Jolapy is a keeper[8D]

Thank you Pablo so much for the great job you did tonight.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:34 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats johnny, im thinking twin titans, barry
Old 08-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-19-2006, 02:01 PM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

Proof it finally flew. All I got was the takeoff since I pushed the wrong button and it only recorded on the small memory card. What do you expect from BlackCloud anyway? LOL
Congrats J. Now lets's figure out why you tried to fly it on a P-60 thrust?

http://media.putfile.com/Johnnys-Large-F-4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34416.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	509651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94704.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	509652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55833.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	509653  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.