Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Five Jet Arrives in the US

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Five Jet Arrives in the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 03:38 AM
jetflyrf86
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Five Jet Arrives in the US

I am in negotiations with the Five Jet people from Spain to produce a full kit of this jet trainer. My question to this forum is what do you think of the airframe. There was a brief write up in RCJI that did not say much. After waiting over 2 months I now have the plans and parts in my possession. I am taking steps to produce a complete kit here in the US. Fiberglass parts, sheeted foam wings and stab, cad drawn plans and some basic hardware. The Five Jet is a perfect marrage for a 12 lb turbine. I will have a prototype available at Fla Jets. I will provide a quatity kit at a reasonable and competetive price. Any feed back is appreciated. I am shooting for a selling price of $550.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:38 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be interested, There are alot of people that just cant afford the expensive models to put there expensive engines into, doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but that is how it is. I bet they would sell!! Depending on the price of course.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:50 AM
cairoman

Well, the "FIVE" is a bit high on cost, for what you get, here in Europe. U$370, plus shipping for a pair of foam cores, half a fuselage and two f/g booms is not cheap, when you can compare it to the Super Reaper (Mick Reeves), which comes complete and you put it together in a week, no wings to sheet, no retract wholes to cut, no extra wood to buy and no extra hardware to install. Price for it is: U$185, plus shipping. The price Mick quotes of £150 is inclusive of VAT (European value added tax), which of course is taken out if you don't live in Europe.

I'm not trying to bash anyone's business, I'm merely comparing products. I am not representing Mick Reeves in anyway, nor I'm his dealer, I'm just a happy customer.

If the "Five" can beat that, then, definitely you can count me in for a kit.

Regards
Chris in sunny and warm Cyprus
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1556_202.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1774  
Old 01-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reaper

Just curious for Reaper info. What is the fuse built up, or fibreglass? It's just that that wasn't mentioned.
Thanks to all!
Myles
Old 01-24-2002, 12:59 PM
cairoman

The Fuselage is built up of lite ply. It slots together, dry first (about ten minutes), then you run thin cyano and finish with 30 minute epoxy where you need strength.

It IS an ugly looking beast, but it is D**N cheap and flies EASY.

Mine is dressed in Monokote, throughout, except for the rear top decking, which is glassed and painted in household spray enamel.

The front decking is made of plastic and it comes with the kit.

One note of caution. The Reaper stalls dead straight at zero airspeed, but you'll need the airspeed to build up again before you re-gain elevator (canards) control, or you need to couple the ailerons with the canards for more crisp control.

Chris
Old 01-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I wouldn't say that......

I don't find it to bad look wise really. Looks like a good turbine trainer! What's the turbine in it? I have been at Artes Jets http://www.artesjet.com/ and have watched the video of the J-F 50Bee fly a Five Jet. Very nice! Looks like the turbine would be a good match for the Reaper as well!

Thanks for the info!
Myles
Old 01-24-2002, 02:16 PM
cairoman

This one is powered by a Simjet 1700, but I ordered another Fuselage from Mick to prepare for a smaller turbine. A Simjet 1200 is most probably going there. You could put anything from a RAM 500, Wren 54 or an Artes/TJT 75 Falcon or 50 Bee.

Regards
Chris
Old 01-24-2002, 08:39 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Default Super Reaper

I received a Super Reaper kit on Jan 2 . When I first saw it I immediately recognized good value for the money. I'm new to turbines and have a RAM 500 that has yet to fly and an MW 54 kit that's waiting to be built. This is a very straightforward aircraft to build and will be ideal for learning how to operate a turbine powered aircraft without all the complex systems of other so called trainers.

Hey Cairoman !

You are one fast builder ! What are your flying impressions ? How effective and well harmonised are the controls ? What control throws are you using with what CG ? Can you effectively slow it down for landing ? I'm wondering if I'll be able to operate it out of my present field.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:22 PM
cairoman

Marc,

The Reaper balances at about 56 cm's front of the wing's trailing edge.

She flies straight forward, no vices whatsoever. If you are careful with your building and with the RAM500, you could bring her weight down to 11-12 Lbs. Mine tipped the scales at 15Lbs with a Simjet 1700. She flies soooo slow, you can actually do horizontal eights above the runway. You get bored quickly though, as she won't do much more than that. If you enjoy slow flying, then this is the toy to play with. Our club field has a runway length of about six hundred feet by sixty feet wide and is wire fenced all around. I bring her low and flat and flare at the threshold of the runway (bring the nose up steadily) until she settles in the middle of the strip, then I apply the brakes. It's that simple.

Control throws are as follows:

Canards 1-1/2 inch up and down, coupled with ailevators (ailerons acting as elevators) of 1/2 inch up, none down.

Rudder, as much as you please. I use only one rudder, but you can have both operating and they can act as airbrakes too.

Ailerons: 3/4 of an inch up and down.

Good luck with your Reaper. I'm sure you're gonna have lots of fun building and flying this one.

Regards,

Chris
Old 01-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the Reaper standard with canards, or was that your mod? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:22 AM
cairoman

The first Reapers came out without canards. The latest versions are with much larger wings and do have canards as a standard kit feature.

Hey Rocketman. Please pass on to Eddie my most sencere congrats on all his efforts with the Rig.

Chris
Old 01-25-2002, 04:25 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Will do, he really deserves it!