Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EVF (Electric VioFan) Thrust?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

EVF (Electric VioFan) Thrust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 07:30 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVF (Electric VioFan) Thrust?

Anyone know how much thrust the EVF (Electric VioFan) from BVM will produce?

thanks,

JR
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Default RE: EVF (Electric VioFan) Thrust?

12 pounds thrust.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

Well, to be realistic - figure 7 to 12 pounds depending on how heavy a power system you are willing to carry. I'd expect a few options, you CAN'T get 12 pounds of thrust into a 10 pound Viper for instance. 12 is doable in the bigger airframes like the P-80
Old 03-27-2006, 10:08 PM
jetflyer

I'm actually looking at this power package for other air frames. This will surely open up other possibilities with .45 and some .91 size airframes. I think BV is onto something with this development.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Chris True

Absolutely, keep em light and it should do well in most .45 to .91 airframes
Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright Chris - since you're around:

JR and I have been watching this development with some interest and it looks like you may have a modicom (sp?) of experience . . .perhaps.

What I've seen and priced for 120 mm fans equals to about 1,200 for a decent power plant (1 set of batteries). Have I got that right? Can it be done cheaper?

Certainly, the development of the LiPos, brushless motors and ESC's has really made this interesting @ the realistic 9-10 lb thrust level; got some old airframes begging for such motivation at a local, not as turbine-friendly field...
Old 03-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Guys - you need to be patient and see whats coming out this summer! It will change everything! Affordability, looks, compact, and lightweight. Its all about to change history. You will see! EDF future is here!!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure - I'll stuff that money back into my pockets...not that 47 cents would buy me much right now anyway... Hopefully the high powered LiPo's will come down some more in price by then. To get a good cycle time, you'd have to invest the same amount as a turbine at the current rate to get enough batteries. But then there are numerous other benefits that really opens up this market to many.

This summer's going to be really cool; lot's of jet action/development it looks like.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Chris True

ORIGINAL: ChuckC

Alright Chris - since you're around:

JR and I have been watching this development with some interest and it looks like you may have a modicom (sp?) of experience . . .perhaps.

What I've seen and priced for 120 mm fans equals to about 1,200 for a decent power plant (1 set of batteries). Have I got that right? Can it be done cheaper?

Certainly, the development of the LiPos, brushless motors and ESC's has really made this interesting @ the realistic 9-10 lb thrust level; got some old airframes begging for such motivation at a local, not as turbine-friendly field...
That's about right with a smaller battery, a bit more for a 5-6 minute flight. Test flight this weekend on my latest project - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=776448 7.5 pounds of thrust in a 10 pound RTF plane. Scuse the wobbly flight, I was trimming like mad on 3 different flight ode switch positions

Old 03-28-2006, 12:28 AM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Summer and LiPos don't go together all that well especially in Las Vegas 120degrees in the shade although the weather man will say it's only 110 too keep you tourist types donating to the las Vegas economy. I have been to the Thunder Power battery factory here in Las Vegas and packs for High powered EDF jets is still in progressive development no matter who brings out what electric jet. I was told by the owner of Thunder Power Charlie Wang that some new cells more suitable for electric high powered jets should be here in the next few months. This technology is like the computers where every few months new and better units/cells become available. I have been working with Crosswind Composites the developer of the R.O.G. electric F-16 and most of our battles have been trying to lower pack temperatures during and after the flights, we have gone through several expensive packs trying to solve the battery over heat issue and for the most part thermal shut downs and other issues have been solved. hopefully these next generation cells will be more efficient and run a few degrees cooler...

P. Richards aka Swat Team
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98527.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	434432  
Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 PM
jetflyer

Ok so I'm kinda new to the developments in the EDF world since I'm been flying a turbine. I just came across the information on the Daniel Schubeler 120mm DS94-3ph fan/impeller. This thing is capable of 19lbs of thrust!!! Holy cow! I might have to dust off my Byron F-16.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I have a DS-94 coming and will report on it's actual numbers ASAP
Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 PM
jetflyer

Ron,

I'm interested in your findings so make sure you post it. By the way what airframe are you looking at putting that in?

JR
Old 03-28-2006, 11:19 PM
EddieWeeks

I know nothing of EDF... but didn't it take around 6hp to get 12 lbs of thrust with a viofan....

Are the EDF putting out 4474 watts (6hp).. ? I have no idea..

Eddie
Old 03-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Eddie,
HP as we know is way over stated in the R/C world. It is about 3.5-4 Hp on a BVM DF engine to get 12 lbs thrust so 2200 watts should get us that.
JR.
I am planning on putting it in a old DF Viper that I have new in the box with a slightly larger wing.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Chris True

My TF-4000 does 7.5 pounds @ 1,800 watts, installed in the airframe.

The DS94 does 11 pounds on 10S and 70 amps if I read the graph right - that is on a test stand with an ideal inlet lip. Figure 35 volts @ 70 amps = 2450 watts.

The same fan maxed out with a bigger motor draws 120 amps on 12S so just under 5,000 watts. If the motor is 90% efficient that is 4,500 actual shaft watts or tada - 6 horsepower. It makes appr. 17 pounds of thrust at that power level. Without thinking about it too much, in case you are interested this setup would weigh someting between 8 and 11 pounds for the fan+motor+battery+ESC depending on battery choice.

I guess a Viofan with the .96 used to do something around 14 pounds? So you might wonder what the diffrence is - the exit diameters. The Schubi is designed for a minimum exit diameter of 4" vs. the 3.4-3.6 inch nozzle diameter on the various BVM kits. With the smaller exit you get a less thrust moving faster. So, I suppose you won't be hitting 220+ with the DS-94 but 150-160 ought to be faste enough . I've clocked my Viper with an older generation fan @ 135 with a 2,500 watt system.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Got one of those things going into a Hawk Right now. It all depends on the motor and ESC you put on the Fan. Not cheap since the fan itself is something around $350-$375 and the motor will go for another $400. Now if you want the Max stated thrust of about 18lbs. or so, then you are talking about adding another $200 more for the higher end motor and Another $200 additional for an ESC to match that. But from what I can figure (read or ask from tohers mostly) is that it is not a proven system since most people don;t want to spend that kind of cash to be a ginnie pig.

Turbulence

Old 03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
jetflyer

If that combo will fly some of the .91 size airframes out there then I'm game to try it out. The low hassle factor of electric vs kero or glow is a big plus. Besides the lipo potential fire it would not be a bad trade off in my opinion and worth the one time added cost. Before I decide to plop some cash into a EDF power system I'd like to see what BVM eventually brings to the market.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

This is certainly some very exciting news cause I have been waiting for the day that a EDF powerplant could be used to fly the larger airframes so efficently and achieve the speed I 'm seeing here in the thread-wow 130-135 with a BVM Viper or the like! Some very impressive numbers no doubt

Would this new Generation BVM EVF would suited also for the older style Bandits too??And I'm also hearing that it can be used in the BVM F-86 too??Very very cool stuff! I know what's gonna be in my trailer later this year Gotta have me one of these thangs

Steve
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
jetflyer

Here is the weblink to the Schubeler DS94-3ph unit that is rated up to 19lbs.

http://www.shredair.com/fan.html
Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Chris True

Not sure on the Bandits - probably but it all depends on the airframe weight. You do want to do a few things differently such as NOT use heavy struts / solid rubber tires and brakes at a minimum

Here is the Viper flying http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo...deo-lowres.wmv The low pass where the camera looses it is 130-135 mph. Notice the truncated rear fuselage, that is a 4" diamter nozzle. The BV fan will be able to use the standard 3.4 or 3.6" nozzle size...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Thanks Chris

You are a wealth of info/help in regards to EDF operations.I am sure I'll have more questions about these powerplants,setup,etc in the near future.Do you mind if I PM or email you at that time to help me along the way if I need a push ,etc

I have been wanting a EDF jet for some time but honestly the smaller airframes out there just didn't appeal to me .I was/am only interested in larger airframes and BVM has stepped up to the plate once again[8D]Really looking forward to owning one of these ,bet they sound friggen awesome too with the larger fan units!!

thanks,Steve
Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Chris True

Sure, no problem. I'm planning on coming down your way for the Mid-Atlantic event this year so maybe I'll see you there?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 AM
jetflyer

Chris,

What do you think about the DS94-3ph in a Yellow F-16? Using a 10s or 12s pack.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:54 AM
EddieWeeks

FWIW... I thought you would like to know..... It only took 100 watts x 4 tail rotors to stabilize a 35lb VTOL with

brushed motors and NiMH batteries. (8 lbs of junk).. With all this new stuff, I bet 4 lbs of stuff would do the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.