Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maiden done on Rookie II dual axis thrust

With the Merlin on board, this airplane shot off the ground and climbed in a hurry. First flight, I didn't try to bend anything but did a few loops and a couple of rolls. Tracked very nicely.

I have a gyro on each axis of the thrust vector. Wasn't sure how well that was keeping the airplane on track, I'll explore the "3d" capabilities on later flights.

The manufacturer indicates that you can deflect the canards to 80 degrees and turn the mix off as a landing speed brake.

I designed mine this way, and I'm not sure, but I may be putting in a speed brake in addition, with the residual thrust of the merlin, I think I'm gonna need it as the first landing attempt blew right by me.

My nose gear had tangled in the pull pull system even though I'd tested it only about 50 times and put a zip tie on it. [:@]

So I set it down as gently as I could in the grass. Broke an axle and one ply mount. Will have it ready for round two in a few days.

I did play with the thrust vectoring. It is very effective!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki17990.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	438146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99009.jpg 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	438147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp33150.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	438148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qk22797.jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	438149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qb37050.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	438150  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wm84696.jpg 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	438151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ce71824.jpg 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	438152  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Maiden done on Rookie II dual axis thrust

Looks good Sean!
    FREE People Search - http://www.usapublicdata.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: seanreit
    My nose gear had tangled in the pull pull system even though I'd tested it only about 50 times and put a zip tie on it. [:@]
    Hello Sean.

Congratulations on the maiden. The sceme you choose is my favorite as well.

I noticed that the pull/pull wires are crossed. Why?
    It only hurts when I laugh......
    Stig Andersen/Danish Jet Dude

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rudder, vector in the yaw, and steering servo are all being run off the same channel. I need to put a reversed servo in there to solve it for good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good Sean, congrats. But I didnΒ΄t understood very well, you didnΒ΄t installed the belly speed brake? I presume that the manufacturer recommends the canard at 80 degrees only when the wheels are on ground, or the instructions say the opposite?

About the nose wheel steering you didnΒ΄t need a reverse servo at all, you can put it upside down in the tray.. itΒ΄s not hard to work with it in this position.

Enrique

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DIdn't think about putting the servo in upside down, great idea.

I'm thinking about putting a matchbox on it so I can trim the steering on the matchbox and trim the vectord thrust in yaw on the dial on the radio.

The matchbox of course will also reverse the servo, and I have a spare one as well anyway.

They call for 80 degree deflected canard in the air on setup for landing.

I held my breath and hit the switch yesterday. The airplane flared up and then settled down into flight much like dropping flaps on any other airplane. It just wasn't enough to overcome the residula thrust of the merlin. I'm gonna try it a couple more times but will likely put the speed brake in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run my servo upside down also. Just slip the servo in with the arm and cables attached and screw it down. The cables will have less of an angle also. A better way to go.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FYI, the canard mix when you hit 80 degree deflection button, it releases the control of the canard, so it just sits there at 80 degrees and you drive it home on elevons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Sean,

Looking good man. If they fly as good as in the simulator, youwill have a blast!!

One question though, do you have a spare channel on your Rx? You could mix the stering wheel to the rudder on say AUX3, and use the knob on the radio for independent trim. Works for me.
    Im not a big fan of using servo reveresers myself.

David
    Buying Jet Legend? Read here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11372496/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Sean, nice looking airplane, I have been thinking about one of these with a Jet Central Falcon. I thought one of my flying buddies had lost his marbles when he installed a Merlin in a Mk.1 Rookie !! I think he is flying it using 100krpm....bit of a waste of a Merlin but each to his own I suppose.

I would like to see one of these hover with gyro assistance on all 3 axis. I thought about ducting some case pressure to each wing tip for hovering roll control, the Merlin would certainly have plenty to spare.

One thing I have been curious about for some time is why some people use matchbox's or have to orientate servo's differently to get a specific control movement ? Is it not simpler to tell each servo it's function, which direction and amount of movement ? Or am I missing something ?

Rob.
    UK distributor: Jets Munt Merlin 90, 140 & 160. Jet Central UK. FADEC ECU\'\'\'\'s UK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FalconWings
    You could mix the stering wheel to the rudder on say AUX3, and use the knob on the radio for independent trim.

David
    I've got the steering servo plugged into a y on the gyro. The gyro Y connects the steering servo and the thrust vector (yaw) into channel AUX 4 on the 10x. Aux 4 is mixed to Rudder.

If I didn't want the steering on a gyro, I could put it on Aux 5, but I'm not there yet.

One thing I don't particularly like is having the thrust vector on a half speed channel (aux four or aux five).

Here is my layout, I'm open to suggestions:

1 throttle
    2 elevon left
    3 elevon right
    4 rudder
    5 gear
    6 canard
    7 thrust vector pitch through a gyro
    8 brakes
    9 steering and thrust vector yaw through a gyro
    10 just a voltage indicator, can be anything here.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I could put thrust vector yaw on channel 8 and move the brakes to aux 5. I'm using the snap roll button anyway. I think I'm gonna do that. I'll have to put in another gyro, but that's worth it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Robrow

Hi Sean, nice looking airplane, I have been thinking about one of these with a Jet Central Falcon. I thought one of my flying buddies had lost his marbles when he installed a Merlin in a Rookie !! I think he is flying it using 100krpm....bit of a waste of a Merlin but each to his own I suppose.

I would like to see one of these hover with gyro assistance on all 3 axis. I thought about ducting some case pressure to each wing tip for hovering roll control, the Merlin would certainly have plenty to spare.

One thing I have been curious about for some time is why some people use matchbox's or have to orientate servo's differently to get a specific control movement ? Is it not simpler to tell each servo it's function, which direction and amount of movement ? Or am I missing something ?

Rob.
    Rob, what might work on Roll is a computer fan (say 4") glued in teh wing that works off a gyro and a battery and escs. THat's the only thing I could come up with. But whose gonna tear up a wing working it out, know what I mean?

Eddie Weeks proved that helicopter tail rotors on electric motors could stabilize the rig. But that won't work on the rookie. Needs to be flatt and inside the wing in my opinion.

If someone can tell me what willwork, I'll install it.

I don't turn down my engines, that is for wussies!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it not simpler to tell each servo it's function, which direction and amount of movement ? Or am I missing something ?

Rob.
    IF Jr made a box that would do that, I would buy it. So far as I know you can only do that with Hitec.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The case pressure idea should work, particularly at the higher rpm in the hover. A good friend of mine ran compressor outlet pressure down a 10mm bore flexy pipe..it was like an angry cobra..certainly enough force to do the job I think.

I think in the hover it would take very little force to roll...no gravity to overcome. I don't think the wing would need to be chopped up much to run some 10mm festo tubing down. 2 opposing nozzles in either wingtip and a simple 3 position variable flow valve in the fuz, centre position... no flow, then flow to opposing nozzles in either tip at either extreme of roll command.

A test rig could even be built to prove or disprove the basic idea.

Or am I just daydreaming again

Rob.
    UK distributor: Jets Munt Merlin 90, 140 & 160. Jet Central UK. FADEC ECU\'\'\'\'s UK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You find me the parts a specific list of items available in the US and I will buy them and test it.

I'll also need specific instructions on how to properly tap the case and where.

I'll also need rough estimates on what temperatures are expected coming down that tube. Insulation in the wing may be necessary as it is composite.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know the temperature of the air that is in the propane line during the run of the engine? I was thinking about T'ing off that line and running it to my wheel brakes as a constant source of wheel brake pressure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I'll get back to you on the specifics. The air I am talking about is compressor outlet from a similar position to an air start nipple so is relatively cool and should not need any special heat protection measures. The downside is warranty validity []

If there is any residual propane/butane mix in the gas line it will not do the brake 'o' rings any good.

Rob.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see you you already experienced the "burn through" from your AMT thread.

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Is it not simpler to tell each servo it's function, which direction and amount of movement ? Or am I missing something ?

Rob.
    IF Jr made a box that would do that, I would buy it. So far as I know you can only do that with Hitec.

Robrow, sounds like you have a Multiplex radio. I just bought an Evo and I think I'll be selling my Hitec programmer
    Sean, with Multiplex you can calibrate each servo separately no matter what channel its on and no need for a "Y".
    Mark P
    An Expert has made every mistake - A Master has made every mistake twice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How do you avoid RF interference from the metal to metal contact?

Good luck looks neat

Stallman

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a rookie 2 I have ben working on flat spins would like to talk to you about 3D /Terry thank you 304-768-3469