Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kevlar fuel tank for Boomerang XL?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kevlar fuel tank for Boomerang XL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kevlar fuel tank for Boomerang XL?

Hey Guys,

I am trying to find out if there is a source for a Kevlar fuel tank that I can use for my new Boomerang XL.After 5 flights we have found that the 3.75 liter(1 gallon) glow fuel bottom is just too flimsy and it is also continiously sucking in with pressure while fueling up & during flight it appears to do the same thing but not as bad.

However to add further to the problem we found after the last flight yesterday that the clunk is getting stuck in the area where the tank sucks in.Hence creating another problem in itself to where my XL flames out of course cause the clunk is suspended out of the fuel once the main tank reaches half .The clunk gets stuck in the crease of the tank where it is sucking in.I know we can of course simply just shorten the fuel draw line but this still wont solve the issue with the tank sucking in

I definately need to look to change out this tank setup pronto.I need to either find a source for a Kevlar fuel cell that is shaped like a glow fuel bottle is OR I need to find another bottle somewhere which is much heavier duty than the glow fuel bottle I'm using now.This glow fuel bottle is giving me a fit in my XL cause we can only get 7 minutes before it wants to flame out(once the main tank reaches half volume)I should be able to easily get 10 minute flight times with the amount of fuel on board my XL-Especially since a 16 OZ. hopper tank was added this past weekend.Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Kevlar fuel tank for Boomerang XL?

Gary Mueller sells an excellent tank for this airplane. Look him up in google. It's around a hundred bucks and worth every penny.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Spartan Missile

Hi Steve,

Interesting that your tank is collapsing.

Just some thoughts, what is the bore size of the tube on the vent ?
If using festo bulkhead fittings to exit the fuselage, watch out, they neck down internally.
I carefully drill out the 4mm and 6mm bulkheads so that they are the maximum bore diameter all the way through.

I would guess that a big engine needs a 6mm OD vent tube to atmosphere ?
Yellow tygon is thick walled and might be 6mm OD but the ID is small.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Steve S

Sean

Thanks alot man No doubt that certainly will be worth every penny !!

Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Steve S

Spartan,

My main fuel tank has a BVM aluminum cap that was modified to fit the glow fuel cap and my 16 Oz. Hopper tank has a BVM cap set as well. I have the thick brass tubes on both tanks that BVM includes with the cap set.All my fuel lines are 6MM tygon -we used the largest line we could cause we figured that with the shape of the tank and the amount of fuel on board we would need the best fuel flow we could possibly get.

thanks,Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 12:25 PM
jetpower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean
do have some picture's of the fueltank in your Boomerang XL
i have also a fueltank from gary (the round one) and i'm trying to figure out the best way of mounting it

thanks in advance

peter
Old 04-10-2006, 12:42 PM
seanreit

It's not my boomerang, but I was doing some finish work for a friend. See attached, but basically run some zip ties or velcro to hold it in on the below formers that you can't see in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12098.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	442626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53644.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	442627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29368.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	442628  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
seanreit

Also, I highly recommend some Kevlar in the pocket of the gear. If you punch through the rails that come with the kit, you are going to go through the top skin. Stick some Kevlar in, and you will not go through.

Name:	Vt56694.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	442630  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
jetpower

thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Peter:

Here's a couple of photos I finally took today of the Mueller tank that Gary and I worked out for the XL.....holds 1 gallon.......the space in front of the main tank is large enough to hold one of his oval 80 oz tanks for smoke oil or more kero......with the central clunk position, the tank empties except for a couple of cc's, no matter the position of the tank.....I prefer the BVM fittings, but Gary can size the opening to fit the Sullivan/Dubro fittings if preferred......

Tom

Name:	Yw68857.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	443155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65700.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	443156  
Old 04-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Steve S

**Update**

I stopped over at a buddie's house after work yesterday,who orders some of his jet parts from Mcmaster-Carr & we flipped thru the catalog to see what was available in way of 1 gallon fuel tanks .Well low & behold they have a 1.25 gallon square fuel jug with the moreless the same dimensions as the glow fuel bottle I have been using!!The beauty of it is that it is the same exact high density material as the UAT(they sell those too)!! The tank is only 18 bucks on top of it & will be here tomrrow(if you call before 5pm anything in stock arrives to your doorstep the next day)

Problem solved!! and it sure will look much more attractive than the hideous glow bottle too

thanks for all the help guys,

Steve
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 AM
tothemax

Steve,
What's the McMaster PN for the square fuel tank you selected?
TIA
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 AM
jetpower

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

Hi Peter:

Here's a couple of photos I finally took today of the Mueller tank that Gary and I worked out for the XL.....holds 1 gallon.......the space in front of the main tank is large enough to hold one of his oval 80 oz tanks for smoke or more oil......with the central clunk position, the tank empties except for a couple of cc's, no matter the position of the tank.....I prefer the BVM fittings, but Gary can size the opening to fit the Sullivan/Dubro fittings if preferred......

Tom
thanks Tom thats also a good idea
Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Steve S

Steve,

I'll let you know that PN later this afternoon.My buddy has the MC catalog .I'll give him a buzz this afternoon and get that info for you

Steve
Old 04-13-2006, 04:31 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Steve,
Do you have the stock number for the fuel tank you ordered.
Thanks.
jef
Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Steve S

Jef,

You know I gotta appolgize I have had one big brain fart all week long! LOL

So much so that I left the house for work this morning without my wallet,got 10 mins down the road before I realized it and then went back into the house to get it .I then proceeded back out the door & left my damn house keys behind and accidentally locked myself out!! Errrrr[:@]Thank god I had just put a hide-a-key out back

In any event in my absent state of mind all week I forgot to get that PN for you .I will get it for you tomorrow and advise you after work I Promise

Steve
Old 04-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Steve S

Jef,

Ok I gotcha the PN for the 1 1/8 gallon Square fuel bottle from Mcmaster-Carr.I ordered it Monday & it arrived Tuesday ! How is that for quick service

The fuel bottle is VERY heavy duty and will certainly look much better than the Glow Bottle does.It was a bargain at 23 bucks

The PN for this 1 1/8 gallon bottle is: 41135-T2

Steve
Old 04-14-2006, 09:29 PM
seanreit

Steve, nothing comes up under that number for me.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Molar mender

I did some searching and found you have to remove the hyphen before the T2 and just put the whole number. It then comes right up.

RH
Old 04-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Steve S

Sean

Ooops my bad,that was the way my buddy gave me the number over the phone yesterday.Roy got it sorted it-just didnt need the hyphen before the T2

The tank is very nice and HD ,esp. for that price !! I got the high density one and not the cheaper poly one.Glad I opted to get the better quality one [&:]This one is gonna work real nicely and will once & for all solve the tank issue I was having with the glow bottle.It also looks 100% better.With the glow bottle it looked like I was too cheap to buy a proper fuel bottle.I would have been getting some lip over that one at the jet rallies LOL

Steve
Old 04-15-2006, 10:40 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Steve, nothing comes up under that number for me.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...MMainWidth=816
Old 06-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Molar mender

Finally after all these months, I have flown my Boomerang XL. I got the kit on 13 Dec 05 and had it ready for the maiden on the 9th of Jan 06. Weather has been horrible, my wife has had surgery, the usual stuff that keeps you from getting to the flying field. But it was all worth it yesterday.

I tried to get the maiden done last holiday Monday but had problems with my 3 liter Shasta bottle fuel tank that I originally installed. It wanted to suck down when I had my overflow tank attached and I was not comfortable with that. Tuesday I ordered the 4 liter McMasters tank and it got here on Wednesday. I installed it and two 20 oz Sullivan smoke tanks on Friday and off to the field on Sat.

Normally when I get ready for the first flight, my palms are sweaty and I plan on keeping the gear down and just fly around to get the trim correct. But with all the positive things I've read on RCU about how well this jet flies, I just loaded up the fuel and smoke tanks and let her rip. Take off was smooth, no flaps because there was about a 10mph wind straight down the runway. I did notice some wobbly in the wire gear with all that fuel/smoke on board. It took several clicks of up elevator and three clicks of right aileron. Then gear up and smoke on. I told my spotter it was a shame I had to land to refuel because I could fly this bird all day. It would do anything I wanted.

I then set up for landing with partial flaps and I had to make a go around because it just kept floating by. On the next approach, I pulled full flaps with crow and added a little power and it settled down right in front of me. What a fun jet to fly. Put on a second flight which was perfect with the previous trim settings.

Photo's of the tank changes included.

Name:	Rp43803.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	471713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98482.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	471714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54672.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	471715  
Old 06-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Steve S

Congrats on the successful maiden!! Glad to hear you too are enjoying your XL so much

It definately is a blast to fly.I have the same scheme too,I never was a big fan of the Thunderbirds scheme until I bought my XL.The big falcon on the underside looks really sharp in knife edge flight with the smoke on!

Steve