Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Top Gun Ultra Eagle II good second Ducted Fan?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Top Gun Ultra Eagle II good second Ducted Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 09:09 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gun Ultra Eagle II good second Ducted Fan?

Hi Guy's Right now I am in the middle of building a Jet Hangar FJ-3 Fury/ F86 Sabre. I am using the new OS 46 VX engine and a Turbax I and Macs 8.5cc quite pipe that I bought for the plane. I am doing the Naval version the Fury. Its a great kit and I have flown one before so I know they fly well. But for my next ducted fan I would love to have an F15 and I was just looking at the Top Gun website. I sent them an email but I have yet to get a reply. Anyway I am looking at the Ultra Eagle Two for the Dynamax fan and OS 91VF. And I read an article a while back about guys installing flaps on their F15's and also making the stabs full flying instead of having elevators. Also I saw some planes on their site with rudders, Are all these options something that I could do to make the plane more scale? I also saw that they have semi scale landing gear struts and aluminum wheels. All these things look real cool to me. And I was curious if the F15 is a good second ducted fan and how they fly? Are they pretty fast for a semi scale D/F I know they are semi scale but how far off from scale are they? I am looking for a good looking and flying jet to go with my Fury that I can fly every weekend when I go to the field which is paved BTW? Would the Ultra Eagle be a good choice for me? I have been flying RC for 18 years and fly electric ducted fans and will be flying my Fury soon. It has flaps, retracts with semi scale struts and I will pick up some aluminum wheels for it soon. I also am installing the speed brakes. Any comments or ideas would be very appreciated. I want to buy a turbine later on in a few years but I cant right now. So I was hoping this would make a nice weekend flyer that looks real nice?
Thanks Joe
Old 12-14-2002, 12:32 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, good first OR second jet. I'd Go for the Latest version tho. Ultra Eagle IIID with the scale wing, I'ts more scale than the II, with panel lines and lots of molded in details. All flying surfaces can be used, flaps rudders, ailerons. How to's are in the new instructions , also. FFStabs can be done the same way as the II.

Have fun.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:23 PM
DF_Flyer

I agree with Terry 100%. The TG Ultra Eagle is a nice looking plane. Plus, with the Dynamax fan setup they are pretty speedy too. Not Viper fast, but I've seen them go faster than most other F-15's out there that were running on DF. The Byron version doesn't look to be nearly as fast though, but it is good for grass fields. Go for it.

Terry, can the Dynamax version take off of grass too?
Old 12-14-2002, 04:20 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Good Choice

The TG F-15 is an excellent chioce for a first, second, or third jet. I just finished my F-15 Pro, and will have to wait until spring to fly it.
You can make it look very scale. I put functional rudders and gear doors on mine. It has an OS91/Ramtec fan/TG pipe. They are very stable with no bad habits. A few have told me that theirs will go 150 mph. My buddy's is in the 130 - 140 range. With the gear doors I should get pretty close to 150 mph.

Below is a picture of mine. There are a few more on Terry Holston's web site at:
http://terry_holston.tripod.com/

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40945_646.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	25519  
Old 12-14-2002, 04:25 PM
DF_Flyer

Joe, that's a great looking jet. Can you give us some info on how you finshed it, types of paint, etc..

A flying buddy of mine flies the dynamax version, and I would concur with the 140 - 150 mph speed range guess. However this is only a guess using my uncalibrated eyes.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Terry Holston

Originally posted by DF_Flyer

Terry, can the Dynamax version take off of grass too?
If your runway is smooth and long enough It should.

Be sure you have 2* positive incidence in the wing, by making the nose gear a bit longer. Otherwise you'll have a three wheel car with wings.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:02 PM
joeflyer

Default PPG Paints

DF,
I used PPG Delstar acrylic enamel. I picked out the brightest white and the brightest red I could find. The red is Porshe Guards Red and the white is Toyota Super White IV. The paint store said that Guards Red and Corvette Performance White was a very popular combination, but I thought the Toyota white was a little brighter. The arcylics come out good enough that there's no need to clear coat it.

If you go to Terry's website click on "More Jets!", or this will get you directly there:
http://terry_holston.tripod.com/hols...nger/id17.html

Joe
Old 12-14-2002, 10:05 PM
viper21

Default Top Gun Ultra Eagle

Joe that's a beautiful F15 It came out great. I plan to paint mine and my JHH Fury in 2 part automotive acrylic enamels. Along with some EDF's as well. The F15 looks like a super plane and I will be getting one shortly. I also plan to install the gear doors like Joe did and rudders along with full flying stabs. I am looking forward to getting the newest version of the kit. Can I ask which fan is better for high speed the Ramtec or the Dynamax. I will be flying from a large over 2000 ft paved runway if that helps at all. I would love to build the F15E Strike Eagle two seat version. Is that avaiable from Topgun or do they only sell the C model single seat? I also did not see their struts on the website. Can I just use Robo Struts on the plane? Has anyone used the Century Jet Retracts and Struts on their planes?
Thanks Again Guys I appreciate the help. I am looking forward to adding the F15 to my D/F airforce.
Joe
Old 12-15-2002, 08:48 PM
viper21

Default Top Gun Ultra Eagle IIID

Hi guy's I just received an email from Darrell at Top Gun. I wrote to him about the new TG Ultra Eagle IIID that Terry told me about but it seems that version has not been released yet. I did reply and asked when it would be released but have yet to get his reply. I have a question Darrel told me that the modifaction directions for converting to full flying stabs are on the Internet? Does anyone have any idea what the website they would be on? I am not ready to buy anyway till after the Holidays so that's cool but does anyone know when the III D will be out? Also which fan is best for top speed the Ramtec or Dynamax. And can I just use Robostruts on my plane with Robart or Spring air retracts? I wont be flying off grass. And I also want to install the gear doors. Darrell did tell me that his plane is set up with flaps rudders and ailerons. I just need to find that site on the FFS's
Thanks Joe
Old 12-16-2002, 02:32 AM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Dunno if there is a web site, per se, for the stabilator mods. I did tailerons on mine (the ByroBlaster version) and they worked quite well. I e-mailed Joe off line to let him know I might have some photos I could Zip out. If there's enough interest I could put the Zip'd file on my "home" page.

Mike
Old 12-16-2002, 02:45 AM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Default TG Eagle Stabilators

OK, I found my photos ... The pix of the approach I took can be obtained by going to (around 330K) and just save it to your Desktop or whatever. I'm gonna be out of town pretty quick, returning 29 Dec, but will help with answers to any questions.

Cheers.

Mike
Old 12-16-2002, 03:23 AM
joeflyer

Default Fans & Struts

Joe,
Which fan will give better top speed depends on the plane. The Dynamax was designed when 60 to 77 sized engines were all that was available for DF. On the other hand the Ramtec was designed to match the output of an OS91. It's like putting the right pitch propeller on a plane. With an OS91 the Dynamax will rev higher, whereas the Ramtec loads the engine more, producing the same thrust at about 2000 rpm lower.

Typically DF's with smaller inlets are better off with a Dynamax, whereas those with larger unrestrictive inlets are better off with a Ramtec. I am partial to Ramtec primarily because the lower rpm's are better for engine life. Also the F-15 has pretty large inlets, so I think Ramtec is the way to go.
By the way a Ramtec shroud is about 1/4" larger diameter than a Dynamax, and the TG F-15 Pro ducting was designed for a Dynamax. Some minor modification was required.

If you are going to have struts I'd recommend the TG ones. They are designed for that plane and drop right in. I have TG struts with Spring Air retracts on mine. The main gears angle out from the fuse when down. If you use straight Robarts the wheels will be canted in noticeably at the top. Besides looking funny that would also affect the ground handling. You may be able to bend them, but that would be tricky and it's a real tight fit when they are up.

Best of luck with yours.

Joe
Old 12-17-2002, 09:42 PM
viper21

Default F15 Ultra III D

Thanks for all the help guys. I emailed Top Gun and Darrel returned my email, he's a real nice guy. Anyway the F15 III D will not be out till April so I will wait till then to buy my plane. Darrel did tell me that they are expecting a shipment of OS 91's later this year. So I will get one then. I will use the Top Gun Struts Joe. But I have several pairs of Rhom air retracts that are all in good working order. Can I use my Rhom airs instead of the Spring Airs with the TG Struts? I am looking forward to getting my F15 and this gives me the extra time to finish my JHH FJ-3 Fury.
Thanks Joe
Old 12-17-2002, 11:53 PM
joeflyer

Default TG Struts

Joe,
The TG struts will work fine with Rhom Airs. The main struts are made to fit over a 3/16" wire and the nose strut came with adaptors for either 3/16" or 5/32" wire. So as long as your Rhom mains are 3/16" you should have no problem. A friend has Rhom's in his with the TG struts.

The formers are designed to take a firewall mounted nose retract, but with a little modification you could use a belly mount.

Joe
Old 12-18-2002, 12:34 AM
str86diesel

Does anybody have the Web Address for the Top Gun site?

Thanks

Kev
Old 12-18-2002, 12:39 AM
Terry Holston

Originally posted by str86diesel
Does anybody have the Web Address for the Top Gun site?

Thanks

Kev
www.tgajets.com
Old 12-18-2002, 02:56 AM
str86diesel

Thanks!!!

Kev
Old 12-18-2002, 01:20 PM
jimm

I have one of the first Eagle Pro kits and won the speed event for scale jets at Jets Over the Heartland some years ago. Mine was clocked at 152 on a new engine and still running rich. Probably it's 6th or 7th flight. Flies great with no bad habits and dead sticks really well.

If you have to make a gear up landing, the flat bottom and high wings and tail surfaces will cause no problems. Makes it easy to do belly landings with no fear of damage.

Would highly recommened it to any one.

I am running a Ramtec fan, OS 91, PMP Pipe and Spring Airs.