Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Small AD Rafale Test Flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Small AD Rafale Test Flight

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:29 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small AD Rafale Test Flight

After a long wait and some problems I finally went out to test fly my Rafale. I could not ask for a better day clear blue skies and a nice head wind, but a very narrow runway here in Palm Bay, FL. Here is a little video that my buddy Bruce captured.

My first take off attempt was not pretty at all as I scraped the bottom of the wings.[>:]

The second one was much better even though it took about 1000ft to take off as I was fighting her the whole flight due to lack of elevator throw.
Landing was not the best but I take it any day on a test fight with not enough elevator.

Power Ram 500
Throws per the manual not enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45477.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	450735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88077.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	450736  
Old 04-25-2006, 08:37 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Small AD Rafale Test Flight

even though it took about 1000ft to take off
Wow, you're persistant! That's about three and times as long as my flying field [X(]

Anyway, hope your next outing goes better.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 AM
rcjets12

Thanks,

I was about to abort the takeoff when I saw the it broke ground, so I had to put full throttle to maintian it flying.
I was commited there was no turning back at that point.
Here is a link to the video.

http://www.putfile.com/rcjets12
Old 04-25-2006, 09:50 AM
CPS

Congratulation! I am also enjoying my small AD Rafale recently.She fly great,not only aerobatic,especially she can fly stable slowly.It is very important when landing.The elevator need more(4.5 to 5.5cm individually from trailing edge) and the aliron travel need less(1.5 to 2.5cm from the trailing edge).The canad just need little,esp. when landing.C.G is 10.5cm from the leading edge of the connecting site of wing and fuselage.My Rafale weight about 6.4 kg(dry) ,how about yours?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40842.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	450824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11129.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	450825  
Old 04-25-2006, 10:18 AM
rcjets12

My Rafale came in at about 17lbs with ram 500 and my elevator travel was nowhere close to yours, I will increase quickly before the next flight. Due to the fact that my elevator travel was not enough I ended up giving about 45 degrees on the carnards to be able to land her. How much fuel you have on board. I have 74oz plus hopper.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys talking about the 1/9 Rafale from Aviation Design? I just picked up an older kit ,it looks like it was designed as a ducted fan kit , but the plan shows a turbine. Is there anything special I have to do to convert it to a turbine version such as carbon reinforcement of the fuselage? My kit has a white gelcoated fuse , obeechi sheeted wings and fin, and black fiberglass ducting. Thanks Jack.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:11 AM
CPS

Yes,this Rafale kits is originally designed for duct fan and "she" is very suitable for the 12 to 14 lb turbine,like super Bee,P-60,PST 600,etc.The parts you should to change are that you don't
need to insert the inlet duct and the space are great for larger fuel tank(because it is near the C.G)(about 2 litter in my Rafale).Another changed part is the dural wall exhausted steel pipe.Of course,you need stronger retract gear (can load the 8 to 10 kg weight) with brake;Perhaps you should built your wings with thicker glass covering.Trust me,she fly better with turbine than duct fan!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPS, thanks for the help!, I will start building it in the next month, I will take your advice, I think I will go with a single thrust pipe, Are you using a single or dual exit pipe? If so where did you get it ? Thanks Jack.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:53 AM
CPS

I use bificated exhaused pipe(as you say:dural exit).It is customer-made by one local factory in my country and I believe you can got it in USA(example:Tam Jet).Now the technique to make bificated pipe
is so good that it will not reduce much thrust.Therefore,you don't need to sacrify the reality.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 AM
CPS

The bificated pipe weight only 300 to 400 g and the thrust loss is little(<300g) . I have heard that some excellent design even increase the thrust!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:30 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jose-RCU

My Rafale came in at about 17lbs with ram 500 and my elevator travel was nowhere close to yours, I will increase quickly before the next flight. Due to the fact that my elevator travel was not enough I ended up giving about 45 degrees on the carnards to be able to land her. How much fuel you have on board. I have 74oz plus hopper.
Hi Jose,
A friend of mine has one of these that flies very sweetly. It is powered by a Wren 54 mk3 and weighs only 13 lbs.
I think 17lbs is a lot for this model. Any way you can reduce the weight?
Regards,

John
Old 04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
rcjets12

Hey John

I wish that I could reduce the weight by at leat three pounds and I would be very happy, but I bought this jet used and beside changing the batteries to lithium I dont know what else to do. I already cut the inlet almost completely of to save weight. I am open to any Ideas if you have any.

Thanks Jose
Old 04-29-2006, 08:15 PM
rcjet lynch

Jose its good to see you got it flying. I see you have changed engines back to the ram. Give me a call sometime you know were to find me.

BKR[>:]
Old 10-28-2006, 11:39 AM
bmichels

Since the small Rafale is NOT AVAILABLE any more from AD, the 2 other alternaƩtive that I know of the same size are the AVON and the DHRISTEN Diffusion.

Do you know which is best ?

thanks