Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Can you buddy box a turbine jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Can you buddy box a turbine jet

Old 01-28-2002, 07:02 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you buddy box a turbine jet

I am not asking for ama purposes just wondering if its pratical to buddy box for the first turbine jet flight. I think I would do fine but I would like to know if I get in to the poo poo I have some buddy to save the day and the jet.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:30 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done this a number of times and believe it is hte best way to go about that first turbine flight. The student pilot can now concentrate on learning the thrust lag (which isn't a big deal, just a little different) and the other aspects of turbine flight. The one note most new pilots make is how quiet the jets are and how you have come to rely on the smoke and noise form the standard models you fly to determine accleration and deceleration. With the turbine, you may not here it spool up but it will accelerate.

So my feeling is this is the best way to do it.

John Redman
BVM, Jet Cat USA
Old 01-29-2002, 01:01 AM
SUMMIT120

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buddy box

I am one of the pilots who has benefitted from the buddy box experience with John Redman. It is a great way to go, and it probably speeds up the learning process considerably. I have lots of ducted fan and pattern experience, but the turbine experience was different enough that I was much more comfortable being the "co-pilot" for the first 10 flights or so. The lack of smoke, lack of noise, and throttle lag are all subtle differences that add up to a totally new experience.

Mike Danchak
Old 01-29-2002, 01:39 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John is spot on. At our club we required buddy boxes for first flights. There were a couple of near "episodes" that were avoided by this. The lag factor and lack of noise are very deceptive at first.
Mike