Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F18C queries

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F18C queries

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Skymaster F18C queries

A few quick questions for those that own or have flown the Skymaster F18C.
The very good price reduction on these are extremely appealing, and very hard to let slip by, so:

1) what is the minimum recommended turbine for this? If I were to consider everything from thrust, spool up time, overall weight, service/support, etc, which one should I be looking at?

2) Short field capabilites - good/bad? and what about grass fields?

I have gone through a lot of the threads, and the most common seems to be the P120, but is it the best in its class?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster F18C queries

ORIGINAL: Sparhawk

A few quick questions for those that own or have flown the Skymaster F18C.
The very good price reduction on these are extremely appealing, and very hard to let slip by, so:

1) what is the minimum recommended turbine for this? If I were to consider everything from thrust, spool up time, overall weight, service/support, etc, which one should I be looking at?

2) Short field capabilites - good/bad? and what about grass fields?

I have gone through a lot of the threads, and the most common seems to be the P120, but is it the best in its class?

Thanks,
Dan
I am an early Skymaster F18C owner.

1) My advice would be to stick with a P120 class engine. It has enough power to move the plane with authority but fuel consumption is reasonable. The Titan would not be too much, but I would start to worry about short flight times due to limited fuel capacity, unless you can find a way to carry more fuel. I have played around with the idea of a centerline tank. I have owned many JetCats, and the reliability and service are excellent. The P120 spool up is a bit slower than some engines, but not at all a big problem. You will need to carry power to landing anyhow, so you should not be in a position of spooling up from idle except at takeoff.
2) The takeoff run is relatively long for a turbine aircraft. My run is usually around 400 feet with the P120 on asphalt. I do not try to horse the plane off the ground, however, as it tends to leap off if the takeoff is premature. Landing should be no problem. It lands at a high AOA and sticks like glue when down. Not the best crosswind plane due to the large twin vertical stabs and narrow landing gear stance.
3) You would need a very good grass field, as the wheels are smallish and the takeoff run is fairly long even on asphalt. There are probably better choices for scale aircraft operating off grass.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Dan,

As for the P-120, the new units are shipping with the "X" version of software in the ECU. The "X" version has markedly faster spool up times, especially from 1/2 throttle to full power, MUCH faster.

If you need any help or additional information about the P-120 or any other JetCat product do not hesitate to ask!

Good luck with any decision you make,

Regards,

Old 05-10-2006, 12:13 AM
DavidQ
My Feedback: (12)

Mr Matt
I have 2 P120 ECU's that were recently upgraded to V 5.0 by JC USA about a month ago. How can I tell if they are version"X"?
David
Old 05-10-2006, 12:52 AM
mr_matt

Hi David,

On start up on the GSU, you would see an "X" after the 5.0 on the screen.

This software usually only works on new P-120s, so I do not know if you have it or not. It cannot be generally retrofit to older P-120s

Hope that helps,

Old 05-10-2006, 07:01 AM
pilott34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DavidQ

Mr Matt
I have 2 P120 ECU's that were recently upgraded to V 5.0 by JC USA about a month ago. How can I tell if they are version"X"?
David

From what Matt is saying, shouldnt you be able to tell from the faster spool up time?? Shouldnt need to check the ECU.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
bevar

Matt,

I bought my -120 two months ago and it was shipped from you with a "W" ECU. What is required to update it to an "X"?

Thanks,

B

Old 05-10-2006, 07:46 PM
mr_matt

Hi bevar,

Your in luck, it turns out that "W" is the earliest version of a P-120 that can be updated to "X".

The ECUs would need to be sent in for a reflash.

Hope that helps,

Old 05-11-2006, 03:49 PM
bevar

Yep...that helps! I'll rip it out of the jet next week and mail it out to ya. How long is the turn around?

Thanks,

B

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Hi bevar,

Your in luck, it turns out that "W" is the earliest version of a P-120 that can be updated to "X".

The ECUs would need to be sent in for a reflash.

Hope that helps,