Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Those who have crashed Comp Arf Lightenings

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Those who have crashed Comp Arf Lightenings

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 02:16 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Those who have crashed Comp Arf Lightenings

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: DC1163

Here we go again, A thread started as a information source is going to be side tracked by petty bickering.
David

Here we go again my foot!!!!. Somebody has to pay to keep the lights on here. If it is not for those dedicated advertiser like TamsJet, JetcatUSa, DreamworksRc, Skymaster, etc…ect… how do you think RCU will be here so that others that rip full benefits of this forum without supporting it?

Heck, I could have deleted the post I quoted in my previous post because RCU allows only ONE ADVERTISMENT/ANNOUNCEMENT EVERY MONTH FOR ANY NON PAYING MANUFACTURER, but I decided to let it stand for the benefit of the membership. Would you have preferred that I remove the post or just my friendly reminder that they have used up their free time?

There is nothing wrong in reminding them once in a while that they are taking full advantage of this forum without supporting it.

BTW, for those manufacturers that help to keep the lights on here, thanks very much for your support.

Best Regards

Ben

(Membership has its own privileges)
Ben, since you just put in a plug for Tam, JetCat, Dreamworks and Skymaster, I assume you will be very diligent to police every thread in this forum for the next 30 days to make sure these manufactures don't commit any violation of the rules.

Unlike Sean, I don't see eye to eye with you most of the time, and I wish you would quit barging into threads creating controversy against manufacturers and people you don't like.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:23 PM
pilott28

Sorry guys, I had to get that off my chest. But back to the topic at hand ......

I turned up the air pressure on my UP valve today to cut the transit time of the gear. I also cut the transit time on the doors. Much more positive movement and lock. Anyone using the Jettronic valve that can comment on its operation?

Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Keith, what gear door cylinders are you using?

For those that care, I have owned several BVM jets. The quality of this particular airframe and the prefabrication done far exceeds that which I've seen in the Kingcat, which is really the only airplane between the two companies that I have seen of comparable make up. It would not surprise me if a company either Comp Arf or another guy over there over time drives some business away from BVM. I went over the plane today in great detail and it is unbelivable. I have never seen an airplane where the control horns are already hysol'd in, where the servo mounts are already installed in the airplane, you just drop stuff in left and right,

I can see why no one is trying different landing gear. The spec'd gear litterally drops into the rails in the with no grinding necessary. I don't know about you, but I have always had to grind a little here or there. I mean it drops litterally in there.

The paint job is incredible, the finish is unbelievable. It is really really good.

Keith, how many air cylinders do I need? 3?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:25 AM
pilott28

I'm using the cylinders that came with the kit. They appear to be BVM cylinders. You will need three -- one for each door.

To summarize some of the key points on getting the doors right --

1) make sure the door lays flat and closes easily without any assistance from the cylinder. The trick is getting the phenolic tube very close to the wing surface.
2) get the cylinder as low as possible. I shaved some plastic off the end of mine, and also made a pocket by removing some of the wing material.
3) run the phenolic tube to the edge of the gear door, so the pieces that extend through the wing spars are short and will not flex
4) angle the mounting block for the cylinder so the ram travel is parallel to the movement of the hinge control horn
Old 05-14-2006, 08:12 AM
seanreit

Mine didn't come with cylinders, can you get me stroke length and I'll just order them from BVM?

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2006, 08:33 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Mine didn't come with cylinders, can you get me stroke length and I'll just order them from BVM?

Thanks,
They appear to be the small ones with the one inch throw. You should call Ray Labonte just to make sure, though.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:18 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Thanks,
Talked to CARF today and they are the small BV cylinders.

The new gear door design will feature a bigger cylinder, apparently mounted horizontally. They are reworking the hinge design to accomodate the new setup.

I think their current setup works, but tolerances are pretty tight and there isn't much room for any error. Their new design sounds like it should be a bit easier to set up.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 PM
seanreit

Keith, I can confirm this. About three weeks for the recommendation. I'm going to hold off on that part and get it done the newer way. You got to hand it to these guys, they are supporting after the sale and putting good feedback into print. I love it.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:53 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd assume the new door set-up will be like the mod Pitts-SPS did on his...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71628.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	462285  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:17 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys might want to look at the 7/16 diameter Ultra Precision cylinders. Only 1/16 larger radius (easy to mount) and twice the force.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:36 PM
seanreit

Some pics of the lightning I'm doing.

Incredibly, the airplane came with ZERO hardware in the boxes. So I'm stuck here until someone can get me helped out. Emails have been sent to Jason Shulman the rep that sold the kit, but have gone unanswered.

Name:	Us53031.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	462886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83694.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	462887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52014.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	462888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44633.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	462889  
Old 05-17-2006, 12:51 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Looks awesome Sean! No hardware? Weird! I would guess that Jason is at nall now.

Joe
Old 05-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice painting of Cosmo on the wall!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:12 PM
seanreit

Kramer hahahahahhaah, a christmas present from my brother a few years ago. Still has the wrapping paper on it after all these years. I love it and hang it proudly!!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree! The plane is gorgeous and so is the Kramer! I remember that episode well. Awesome!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 PM
pilott28

Sean -- give Ray Labonte a call. He is at Nall but the number on the site is his cell phone and he answered it when I called him on Monday. He can probably help solve your problem or get hold of Jason.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 PM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

I have a set of Intairco retracts, struts, wheels, and brakes that Peter makes for the Lightning. Good quality and they drop in ,ie no shims and countersink mounting bolts for mains. Traditional sissor struts all the way around. Chromed wheel hubs, rims and lower struts are standard. Main wheels are 1/4 smaller in diameter. Just about done with the second one and am looking foreward to it. BTW number one was sold. WHMC
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM
seanreit

I spoke to Andy Kane today and he said that he will try to help me out. I'm open to options. I emailed Ray, but he sounds pretty busy at the event.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

I did my gear doors like the picture pilott28 shows. UP cylinders. I use small piano hinge for all the doors that Jerry Nelson sells. Strong and full length. WHMC
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Sean

U know all the stuff in the States regarding parts come from Ray's hobby shop.

Andy Kane has some misc parts he personally stocks but Ray has them all.

BTW the Jolly Roger lighting scheme is my favorite nice choice.

Ian
Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
seanreit

Ian, I did not know that about Ray, my previous comp arf airplanes were bought by my friend and I paid him cash, so I'm somewhat new at this. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sc0tt

I'd assume the new door set-up will be like the mod Pitts-SPS did on his...

I'm helping on the build with one of these right now. It looks like this mod to the gear doors is the way to go.

Did anyone have trouble fitting the main retract mechanism? The pneumatic cylinder on mine hits the former. The question is whether to relieve the former further or prop the retract mechanism on spacers or washers. Its probably about 3/32" that would need to come off the former.

Thanks,
Joe

Name:	Om32618.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	466912  
Old 05-26-2006, 04:20 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Joe,

If you're using the Behotec gear then you need to have a 1/8" ply shim underneath the retract mounting plates. You also need to countersink the holes in the retract units for the countersunk allen bolts supplied with the kit.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 05-27-2006, 01:00 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

*********First Off I would like to personally recommend this Jet Kit,They did their home work, all servo trays fit 8611s Im building a another $$$$$ kit and believe it ,that you have to trim with a exacto the tray openings to fit a 8611, all wings and parts fit without no fuss,On the other kit Im doing, Im sanding wing tubes and still cant get the wings on, Everything is their and highly pre fa-bed, Even the fuel tanks are assembled for you,not like other company's that after you pay top dollar for a fuel tank and you have to Glue them together and for the slap in the face they dont included the glue,.And the price is right!!! I can have this Bird RTf with P-180 for the price of the competitors Kit.Composite Arf Is a great company to really get it Right on this awesome Jet Arf, For the Icing on the Cake It Out flys anything Period.Will let you know the only Mod needed so far is that the forward Mounting knurl nut isnt sufficient to hold the rudder on to the fuse.If you grab the back of the V fin you can lift it away from the fuse, its simple to fix by adding a rear bolt. Also We found out the tail pipe way to heavy,it weighs in @ 22 oz a similar Tams pipe only weighs 10 Oz thats about 12 oz! all in the rear of the plane, we will change out later,we have the P180 in the number one ship.fits the bypass with out any changes.I highly recommend this Jet Kit.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:23 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joe McBride

Did anyone have trouble fitting the main retract mechanism? The pneumatic cylinder on mine hits the former. The question is whether to relieve the former further or prop the retract mechanism on spacers or washers. Its probably about 3/32" that would need to come off the former.
I had the same issue, even with the shims under the retract. I just used a drum sander on a dremel to make more clearance on the former.

Also, I had to taper my shims to get the wheels perfect in the hole. With flat shims & toe in set, I had minor issue with the wheels touching the upper wing skin & the gear door when closed. Taking a little time & tapering the shims worked out perfect - my wheels can still turn free when retracted.

ORIGINAL: jettset99

We found out the tail pipe way to heavy,it weighs in @ 22 oz a similar Tams pipe only weighs 10 Oz thats about 12 oz!
A lower weight pipe from Tam would be awesome. I'm trying to build mine as light as possible for Titan power.

..Scott