Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Speed Brake on the New TG Ultra Eagle III D

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Speed Brake on the New TG Ultra Eagle III D

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 04:35 AM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Brake on the New TG Ultra Eagle III D

Hi Guys, I am going to be getting the new Top Gun Ultra Eagle III D that is going to be released in April according to Top Gun. I was curious if anyone has installed a working speed brake on there TG F15's? I understand the new III D will have a more scale apearance and more scale like wing. I will already be installing flaps and full flying stabs. I just wondered about the Speed brake? I thought it would be cool to have? My plane will have an OS 91 VF and Dynamax fan unit in it. Any ideas?
Thanks Joe
Old 12-21-2002, 07:18 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

The speed brake can be used on the Ultra Eagle III D only if it is turbine powered. (Making it a III T) The scale speed brake is located above the engine (On the hatch) and on the DF versions there is not enough room for the mechanism to clear the engine head.

Flaps will be plenty to slow this bird down. And even then most time you will have to add power to bring it on home
Old 12-21-2002, 07:35 PM
viper21

Default Speed Brake

Thanks Terry, I was just curious about the speed brake. It looks like I found a new in box OS 91 thats only three months old and never even been mounted. So I will get it and then I am looking for a Dynamax fan new in box. And I need a set of 3/16" Spring airs so I can use the TGA F15 struts. All my Rhom Airs are only 5/32" Struts. Then I will buy the TGA Struts for the plane. I am really looking forward to April as thats when TGA tells me the Ultra III D will be released. My goal is to fly ducted fans for 2-3 years maybe longer and then I want to get a Turbine That new Avonds F16 is sure pretty Well who know what's gonna be out in 3 years. I would like an F100 also.
Thanks Again Guys
Joe
Old 12-21-2002, 08:51 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 3/16" Struts

Joe,
Take your Rhom retracts, put them in a drill press, and drill out the hole in the rotating block to 3/16". I've done this sucessfully with Spring Airs. If you look at a set of 5/32" and 3/16" retracts you should find that the only difference is the size of the hole the strut fits into.

By the way this plane doesn't really need flaps or a speed brake. A little nose up attitude will slow it right down.

Joe
Old 12-21-2002, 09:09 PM
viper21

Default Retracts

Thanks for the tip Joe. I am not installing the speed brake but I am doing the flaps. If not for landings then for scale appearance. They look cool. Just like the flaps and speed brakes on my JHH Fury will look cool. Thanks allot about the retracts you saved me some extra money. That I can put towards the struts and aluminum wheels.
Joe
Old 12-22-2002, 05:03 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Joe!
You'll like the Eagle.
I'm flying the "Pro" with a Ramtec fan. use flaps for departure and it really shortens the take-off roll. I go to full flaps for landing and it slows down REAL fast..
I do have a NIB Dyanamax that I won't be using, if you are interested contact me off list!
Greg
Old 01-22-2003, 12:45 AM
Lennyni
My Feedback: (1)

Joe,

Have you found the dimensions or location for the pivot point for your full flying stabs? I would like to convert my TG F15 IID and I have not found the pivot
location.

Lenny