Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help finding a part!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help finding a part!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 05:33 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding a part!

Looking for a control arm that will slide on a shaft and clamp, typical full flying stab type linkage. Anyone know who sells this type of linkage??

Todd
Old 12-23-2002, 07:02 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

The Single Yellow F-18 has them. If I remember right they are for a 1/4" shaft. They use a set-screw. They do not clamp.
Later,
Craig
Old 12-23-2002, 07:26 PM
lov2flyrc

Thanks Craig,

But for this application I need one that clamps. I was digging through my hardware boxes and found this, Exactly like what I need but only have one and need a second. Any thoughts??? Someone out there must know where to get something like this?

Thanks
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42628_211.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	26670  
Old 12-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

Default Control Arm

Todd,

Check with Ronnie at JetMart USA. He uses similar ones for the F-14. Extremely nice and tough units that clamp onto 1/4" shaft.

Adil
Old 12-23-2002, 08:03 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Aluminum arm

Looks like a "Dumas" RC boat cast aluminum rudder control arm to me.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
Old 12-23-2002, 08:15 PM
lov2flyrc

Yep thats what I thought too Harley, but I seached Dumas's site and was not able to find it.

Thanks Adil, I will check with Jetmart but I need the hole a few thousandths smaller than 1/4". Shaft is metric....
Todd
Old 12-23-2002, 08:21 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default BOATS

Hey Todd, my LHS has a couple different sizes of these on the boat side. I used the same exact thing for canards. I think I may have the same exact one you showed in the pic. Give me a call in a little while and we'll see if it's the size you need. I'll send it to you if you can't find it.

George
Old 12-23-2002, 09:15 PM
DC1163
My Feedback: (16)

Default Arm

Todd,
The new style Yellow Aircraft Twin uses the clamp type arm but the bolt is on the bottom instead of the side if you can use it.
David
Old 12-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Thommo

Lov2flyrc,
Trim Aircraft, in Australia, market a similar unit for their Spectre.
BRG
Thommo
Old 12-23-2002, 09:32 PM
lov2flyrc

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

I believe I have found what I need. Thought this would be an easy item to find, I was surprised to find that this item is more of a specialty piece than a common accessory?

Thanks again for everyones help!
Merry Xmas...

May there be many turbines under the tree

Todd
Old 12-24-2002, 01:13 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rafale

The BVM Rafale uses a part like this on the canard, but I would not be suprised if he does not want to sell them as accessories, can't say as I blame him :-(
Old 12-24-2002, 02:51 AM
lov2flyrc

Default Re: Rafale

Originally posted by mr_matt
The BVM Rafale uses a part like this on the canard, but I would not be surprised if he does not want to sell them as accessories, can't say as I blame him :-(
Hey Matt,
I thought about calling Bob, I figured he must have something like what I need. Although I speak to Bob often and we are even working on an unrelated project together, I felt that since this was not for a BVM product he would be hesitant on suppling me this item and I would not blame him.
I require these arms for canards as well, I would like to change the suggested setup on my Eurofighter so they are easily removable for transport. I also feel that the method fiberclassics uses to secure the linkage has much room for improvement since they have you drill the pivot shaft creating a weak point, splitting of the shaft is quite possible. Thanks for the input!
Happy Holiday's Bud!

TTYS,
Todd
Old 12-24-2002, 03:02 AM
Brucem

G'day Todd

Just for future reference, was it the TRIM one or did you find something else. I have a project that will need one in the near future.

Regards
Bruce
Old 12-24-2002, 03:58 AM
SoppyJoe
My Feedback: (59)

Hey Todd!
Congrats on the Eurofighter! Sorry to hear about the gear hanging up.
The part you have in the picture is a Prather control arm. I have one if you need it, just let me know where to send Bud!!

Joey.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:30 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These types of specialty parts are the reason you need to ask Santa to bring you a lathe and mill, then you are never stuck, just make the parts you need...

Andrew Coholic
Old 12-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Default Question

Todd,

You seem to think that there may be risk of the hollow glass rod cracking with the factory setup, so my question is.
How are you going to install the clamp style horn on the glass rod and get it tight enough without risking the horn slipping on the rod. Seem's the clamping force would also risk cracking the glass rod unless there were a solid carbon shaft or hardwood dowel glued inside the glass rod. Even then it seems there would be more risk of cracking than with the cross drilled method F/C outlines in the manual.

Just curious to your intent. May want to steal your idea for easily removable canards.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:07 AM
lov2flyrc

Countryboy,

The canard rods on the EF are sold carbon not hollow, there will also be a small set screw to stop any chance of slip. Todd Walters is going to machine me up a custom set of arms to fit the EF and still have the linkage at 0 degrees to the servo. Once we have a set tested he will make them available to purchase as an add-on. Ahould have a set ready to test in a week or two, I'll let you know as soon as they are ready for sale.

These types of specialty parts are the reason you need to ask Santa to bring you a lathe and mill, then you are never stuck, just make the parts you need...
My thought exactly Andrew, Guess Santa missed that one on my list

Thanks for the offer Joey, got things cover though! See ya in Feb!!

Bruce, As mentiond above Jetmart has a real nice arm at a great price. I will send you an email with a picture of what he has available, see if it will work for your application.

Todd
Old 12-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Default Thank's

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lov2flyrc
[B]Countryboy,

The canard rods on the EF are sold carbon not hollow, there will also be a small set screw to stop any chance of slip. Todd Walters is going to machine me up a custom set of arms to fit the EF and still have the linkage at 0 degrees to the servo. Once we have a set tested he will make them available to purchase as an add-on. Ahould have a set ready to test in a week or two, I'll let you know as soon as they are ready for sale.

Thank's for clearing that up Todd. My eye's must be playing games; because I thought I had seen you mention something of a glass rod possibly cracking with the factory setup. You say the rod is solid carbon but yet the manual states it as being a fiberglass rod. Must be a misprint!!! The hardware bag was missing from my kit, and I am waiting on that to arrive; which should make thing's clearer.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:04 AM
Darryl Usher

That part came from www.sierraprecision.com
Darryl Usher www.acsip.com/~dgu
Old 12-28-2002, 04:27 AM
aparchment

Default BVM parts

Hey Todd:

I would be surprised if Bob and the BVM folks would not be willing to let you purchase any piece of equipment that they have, whether incorporated in a kit or not.

I don't know how many times I have called Patty and said something to the effect of "I saw a part on a BVM jet that I would like for a project I am working on," and she always was willing to sell me the part. I remember vividly when I was a poor law student building a scratch built ducted fan and I wanted to get a set of aluminum landing gear strut fittings that allowed attachment of the gear door linkage she had them out to me the same day. They're good people, particularly when treated respectfully, which I am sure you will have no problem doing.

Good luck.

Antony