Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

K&B 48 DF vrs OS 46 VX for prop/fan jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

K&B 48 DF vrs OS 46 VX for prop/fan jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 04:13 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B 48 DF vrs OS 46 VX for prop/fan jet

OK I'm in the planning stages of making a Vertigo jet. This planes uses a DF engine spinning a 9" max prop in a nacelle. So for the engine which do you guys think is better for this job, the K&B 48 or the OS 46 VX?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42755_17427.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	26714  
Old 12-24-2002, 01:56 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the OS. I have a OS 46VX and it is a great engine! I tried to get a K&B 48 for about 2 years and gave up and bought the OS instead, I sure am glad that I did! I doubt that you can get parts for the K&B even if you do have one......
Old 12-24-2002, 03:03 PM
gruven

I have been working on a Vertigo (for too long now) and chose the VXDF route. I talked to Tom Hunt about this a long while back- while not telling me which engine to use I received the impression that the power of these little boys coupled with light & modern building techniques was the ticket.

I believe the biggest problem will be the pipe as a regular tuned piped will will not be smooth when transition to hover occurs.( being "on" or "off"). Been looking at alternatives to the mousse can technique....

Take your time on that nacelle and motor mount!! Keep weight down and use quality gyros.

Good Luck,
gruven

PS Have you seen the pictures of Eddie Week's Rig? You;ll appreciate if into the Vertigo...
http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/
Old 12-24-2002, 03:16 PM
rocketman-RCU
My Feedback: (73)

Default K&B

I agree with Warlord. The K&B appears to have more power, but the carbureator is junk and will drive you nuts. The OS is very smooth.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:34 PM
AmishWarlord

Yes, I saw the Rig and the movies of it very cool. I thought to myself, "Hey that looks like a big Vertigo!"

Now for the Rig . Looking at that thing makes me want to rip those little rotor blades that he has tacked on all over the poor thing off and then punch him in the mouth and say, "*** are you thinking? Keep it simple man!"

I'm waiting to see what Rig 3 will be like. If he keeps up with this it will have a turbo jet driving a large prop, wile assisted by 20 little heli tail rotors sticking out every corner, and this one will have the addition of little thrusters under the wing tips that run off of a nitrogen tank.

Hey! use of a Turob Prop is my idea! You can't have it! :P
Old 03-08-2003, 12:53 AM
Jaffray

Default Vertigo

By far the most reliable and linear D/F engine I have ever run has been the O.S. .46VX-DF, and it's in my Vertigo. Reliability and linear response are paramount in a VTOL engine(s) of any sort, and the O.S. motor is awesome!
Old 03-08-2003, 04:06 PM
AmishWarlord

Jaff, what prop are you runing and what is you max RPM?

How did you go about breaking in the engine?
Old 03-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Jaffray

Default Vertigo

I am using the 9-5 Zinger (wooden) as specified in the design. The VX turns it about 20k with the muffler I am using, and that is about 8k less than O.S.'s unbeliveable rating of 28k. It likes living there, on Omega 15% or Cool Power 20% Hi-Perf Heli. The 20% yields a few more r's. I love this engine! It broke itself in with the short hover tests and the 15% and the throttle is truly linear, almost like electric power.