Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which Turbine for Com-ARF Lightning?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which Turbine for Com-ARF Lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:44 PM
DavidQ
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Turbine for Com-ARF Lightning?

I am in process of building my Com-ARF Lightning. There are different opinions on RCU regarding Lightning & Titan vs Lightning & P180. Which one would be the best combination?
David
Old 06-16-2006, 07:14 AM
docgboy

Default RE: Which Turbine for Com-ARF Lightning?

It has always been my opinion when building airplanes that lighter is better. This and extensive conversation with Ray Labonte, who has more time on this airframe than anyone in this contry, made me decide on the titan. There will be approx. 5lb difference from the 160 to 180 when you consider extra weight of the engine, extra nose weight needed and extra fuel. Both Ray and I believe that when performing aerobatics this will be significant and also over time will put more abuse on the airframe itself.

If your flying style is one of alot of slow flight and pulling vertical to grunt out a climb or pulling vertical immediately on takeoff without alot of aerobatics than the 180 may suit your needs. The top end performance will be the same with either engine. This plane will get to the 200mph mark easily with the titan.

sjb
Old 06-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

I have the Titan in mine, and it does the BIG loops with ease. No cockpit, no smoke, batteries way out in the nose. I kept it as light as possible, due to flying from grass. I absolutely love it.
Go with the Titan. 12 minute flights are e a s y ..........

enjoy
Old 06-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Glorfindel

Why dont you give a try to the Merlin?? Same weight, more power (close to 40lbs), cheaper, reliable....
Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Steve Moore

Yes i agree with glorfindel, I have got a merlin MKII in my comp-arf eurosport, it is awesome!!! the startup sequence is beautiful! a nice gradual start up that sounds so realtistic, far nicer than other turbines i have owned, and the power is unbelieveable! you must buy yourself a merlin MKII, I would buy another one tomorrow!!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:17 AM
DavidQ

Thanks guys , I have 6 JetCat turbines and would like to stay with the same brand!
David
Old 06-16-2006, 07:12 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

I am approaching 75 flights with mine and it has a Rhino. Plenty of power and about the same weight as a Titan. I know you want to stick with Jetcat and understand -- I am a big Jetcat fan -- I think the Titan would fly this fine as it is approximately the same thrust as the Rhino. I agree with the others -- keep this plane light.

PM me with any questions you have. There is a a build thread on the JPO site too -- www.jetpilots.org. Log in as a visitor per the instructions, choose members from the menu and then go to the knowledge bank.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:48 PM
DavidQ

Guys, thanks for the input. I will go ahead with the Titan and get a new pipe from Tam which is about 1/2 lb lighter than the stock one and that certainly will eliminate some nose weight.
Keith,
How is the UP3 valve? Is it reliable for those big retracts ?
As you said, will try to keep it light!
David
Old 06-17-2006, 06:28 AM
docgboy

up3 valve very reliable. Tank volume will dictate number of cycles. I;m using one large Robart tank for gear and door cylinders and get three reliable cycles on 100lbs.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:33 AM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: DavidQ

Guys, thanks for the input. I will go ahead with the Titan and get a new pipe from Tam which is about 1/2 lb lighter than the stock one and that certainly will eliminate some nose weight.
Keith,
How is the UP3 valve? Is it reliable for those big retracts ?
As you said, will try to keep it light!
David
David, the UP3 valve on mine has been working OK. I did need to turn up the air volume to speed up the movement and get reliable cycles. The thing I don't like is that there is not a separate adjustment for up and down strut movement, so the gears tend to "slam" down. Putting restrictors on the up side lines helps this a bit. I have three large BVM air tanks in the nose -- two for the main gear and one for brakes. I get 10 solid cycles off this setup.

I have not used the Jetronic valves before, but based on discussions I have had with the European guys flying this plane, I am getting ready to order one to get the experience. Tam also sells a nifty valve that triggers a gear down signal to the gear servo if pressure falls below a preset point, and I have one of these on order. There are a lot of air lines and air line quick disconnects in this plane and I always am concerned one will come loose or leak over time.

One last thought -- if you use the UP valve you should put a quick disonnect somewhere handy on the up lines so you can bleed the pressure out of the system to manually open the gear doors to get at the wing bolts.

I know you have probably read some negatives about this plane on here, but mine is absolutely my favorite sport flyer.