Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fantastic Panther

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fantastic Panther

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:43 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fantastic Panther

Okay, I know it's an EDF, and the mods may move it, but I thought some guys might enjoy this interesting and quick diversion...
It's a Fantastic Models Panther...it spans only 20", weighs only five ounces, has a GWS 40mm fan and a Feigao brushless motor, took only ten hours to build, made of molded Zepron, it's very, very scale for something this size, and can sit in the car so you can fly anytime you find an open space...
Old 06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default RE: Fantastic Panther

Oops. Pics!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27902.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	483659  
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. How's it fly? 5oz. huh? Must be running off solar power?. What size battery are you using?

Marty
Old 06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

......Went to the web-site. No Panther yet. 'Thought that the Mig and F-86 looked REALLY cool....right up to the point that I downloaded the video[][&o]............That takes me back to about 1976 and the days of trying to decide if the DFs were gonna fly or not. Only this is inside on a basketball court. These are the planes that Jerry Small and the TX pylon guys have been working on. Kinda neat but kinda like watching K-36 dry.

....Better move this one to the electric forum.................

Aloha,

John

Old 06-27-2006, 01:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Agree about the F-86 and Mig, I had both, did not build them. A little mild for my tastes!
This is a different animal, for outdoor flying only...built differently, much more scale, much stronger, much higer performance, not anything like an indoor plane...
Unfortunately, no flying today, too windy...
It uses a 3 cell 720mah pack...
I did a thread on Wattflyer with more pics...
Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

......Went to the web-site. No Panther yet. 'Thought that the Mig and F-86 looked REALLY cool....right up to the point that I downloaded the video[][&o]............That takes me back to about 1976 and the days of trying to decide if the DFs were gonna fly or not. Only this is inside on a basketball court. These are the planes that Jerry Small and the TX pylon guys have been working on. Kinda neat but kinda like watching K-36 dry.

....Better move this one to the electric forum.................

Aloha,

John

Done a fair bit of indoor myself...it can be very challenging, to make things light and right, but the flying itself is insanely boring to me. I don't do it anymore.
The other thing is this...it's freakin' INDOORS. One of the modest rewards I get for spending a month indoors working on a project is at least I get to go OUTSIDE to fly it! It's part of the deal, for me...weather and wind and all that stuff, it's part of the experience.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
jetace11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that thing rocks!!
would love to have one to add too all my other small jets.

How fast do ya think it is Easytiger??--50mph?

Mike
Old 06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Kits are available, E-mail them thru the contact on the web page. I got mine about two weeks ago,. Very detailed, fun to put together, and flies great. Its more of a parkflyer ,not an indoor plane, has a semi symetrical wing and flies about 30-40 mph with the gws Edf 40 fan, fiegao 5800 kv brushless motor, on a 3s Thunderpower 730mh Lipoly. Mine came out really nice, and only weighs 5.5 ounces. Jack
Old 06-27-2006, 09:40 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Mine is done with the stock decals, Brubaker's plane from Bridges at Toki Ri. Think about this, though...you could easily scale up and print decals from any plastic panther kit, and take advantage of all the incredible paint schemes seen on so many different panthers...
I may do up another one just for display for my uncle, who flew them off the Boxer in Korea...
Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Easytiger, If I had one complaint with the kit it would be that the decals are the stick-on type, water slide decals would have been excellent, The stick on decals are nice but they don't lay flat in the panel line area's. Other than that I like it , I also did the stock Brubaker scheme. Jack
Old 06-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

[/quote]Done a fair bit of indoor myself...it can be very challenging, to make things light and right, but the flying itself is insanely boring to me. I don't do it anymore.[/quote]

I don't believe it! Either ET is beginning to make sense or I'm beginning to think like ET [X(]

Yep, did the indoor thing for a while and it was a challenge at first I soon found myself one of the few people doing anything creative amongst a sea of ARF planes trying to wipe everything, including my models, out. Gorgeous little Panther, I want one! With flying sites getting harder to keep, noise problems etc, this may be the everyday jets of the future with turbines kept for occasions when airports & the like are available for fly-ins. - John.

Name:	Qo41272.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	484321  
Old 06-29-2006, 12:11 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jack28

Easytiger, If I had one complaint with the kit it would be that the decals are the stick-on type, water slide decals would have been excellent, The stick on decals are nice but they don't lay flat in the panel line area's. Other than that I like it , I also did the stock Brubaker scheme. Jack
That was EXACTLY my main complaint. I HATE stickers, and this kit deserves better. They aren't THAT bad, because it's a gloss airplane, but still...stickers suck.

Indoors...well, it's the same ratio of ARFers to creative modellers as outside! You can't swing a cat without hitting an ARF slowstick or 3d job inside. I am lucky, though...at the Teaneck Armory, where I mostly do indoor, there are a few really creative guys, at least. Don Ross, Joe Malinchek, Tony Peters...but mostly Slowsticks! Last indoor job I built was the Falcon Models Cirrus Moth...maybe the finest balsa kit I have ever built, and I've built a lot. Problem is...all you can do with it indoors is circle around. Much more fun outside!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:08 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Is that a scratched-out lancaster being hit by a GWS cub? That's the saddest thing I have ever seen....
Old 06-29-2006, 10:30 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

No ET, that's a scratched out Lancaster ALMOST being hit by a GWS Cub! It was close. It went on to fly many more missions, even ended up fully painted in camo until, well, you know, I got bored flying it round & round in circles and someone made me an offer for it I could not refuse. - John.

Name:	Li21328.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	484916  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:42 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Really, really nice. I know what it takes to put something like that together...
Always wanted to do the Aerotech Lancaster...a project for someday...
Old 07-08-2006, 07:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

By the way, the Panther flies BEAUTIFULLY, beyond all expectations.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

ORIGINAL: Jack28

That was EXACTLY my main complaint. I HATE stickers, and this kit deserves better. They aren't THAT bad, because it's a gloss airplane, but still...stickers suck.

Indoors...well, it's the same ratio of ARFers to creative modellers as outside! You can't swing a cat without hitting an ARF slowstick or 3d job inside. I am lucky, though...at the Teaneck Armory, where I mostly do indoor, there are a few really creative guys, at least. Don Ross, Joe Malinchek, Tony Peters...but mostly Slowsticks! Last indoor job I built was the Falcon Models Cirrus Moth...maybe the finest balsa kit I have ever built, and I've built a lot. Problem is...all you can do with it indoors is circle around. Much more fun outside!
Glad you like the model, Easytiger...I did the beta build and have been flyin demos with mine and FTMs models at some southern and southwestern meets. Everyone that flies it loves it. It even makes the most jaded turbine jockey grin and ask about getting one...

The costs for real decals would have made the kit even more expensive and were just not economical at FTM production levels. Anyone that just had to have water transfer decals could certainly scan the kit decals and have some made, somewhere. Or they could use the self adhesive decals to make paint masks and paint the markings on, like the real modelers do..

I think it mentioned a two coat finish in the instructions that put a clear over the self adhesive decals....this makes them practically disappear.

One additional note. Not only does the model have the markings of Brubakers F9F, FTM had a local guy sculpt a micro version of Brubaker in his exact flying gear for the mold for the pilot figure.....

It is easy to make the larger FTM jets much less mild...just get a hot CDRM coversion that pulls about 8.5 amps on the EDf-50 and it flies even better than the F9F, outdoors....
Old 07-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

By the way, the Panther flies BEAUTIFULLY, beyond all expectations.
Well, certainly not beyond the FTM groups expectations... We knew it would fly well, after the experience with the EDF-40 Skyray FTM kit and the other FTM jets........

Old 07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

So true. It's just the kind of plane that makes people smile, even those used to heavier metal, which is why I posted it here. I hope to sneak in a flight or two this evening.

You are right also about how easy it would be to scan the decals, and how a clearcoat would make them mostly dissapear. I was in too much of a hurry to finish up to do either. They do mention clearcoating it in the manual. The manual is SUPERB, by the way.

The other FTM jets, well...let's just say this one is in another league, appearance-wise. The cockpit detail, the panel lines, the outline, the tip tanks...it's just on another level from the others, overall, the appearance is just infinitely nicer than the Sabre and Mig. I understand they can be made to perform much better than their original indoor versions, but they still just don't appeal to me that much...
What's next for FTM? Can I suggest a F-11F?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:09 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I should do the Skyray, too.
PS you should sculpt a little martini for William Holden to keep in the cockpit...
Old 07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Thomas B

The Sabre and the Mig both have engraved panel lines and both have clear canopies and almost as much cockpit detail as the little F9F....but the Panther is pretty special. I think the FTM Sabre and Mig look a lot better than the Wattage offerings....yuck..and even the glow/electric DF Mig 15 from Tawain.....

Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

The Wattage models are downright hideous. I had the sabre, I converted it to Kamdax glow power, flew fine, but what a chintzy, cheap aircraft, and the scale appearance can only be called a Cartoon Version Of The Sabre.

The Kamdax Mig, to me, looks better than the FTM mig, what with the LG and all, but it's really apples and oranges. I would not "diss" the Kamdax planes, they show an extreme level of thought and innovation in engineering, really clever stuff. Nobody else makes an 061 powered DF model! They were not originally designed for EDF, though, if they were, things would have been done differently.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Thomas B

The one thing that makes the FTM Sabre/Mig look a little cheesy is the pull/pull ailerons. I have been bugging them to stick with simple torque rods, as on the FTM F9F and Gee Bee.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:21 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I agree, but I guess the monofilament ailerons linkage was appropriate for those models' original intent, indoor flying. Every gram counts with indoor, and I think the fishing line must be lighter. Now that most people would be taking their Migs and Sabres outside, yes, they could use proper torque rods...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.