Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Choosing between HotSpot and BobCat (Updated comments with photos added!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Choosing between HotSpot and BobCat (Updated comments with photos added!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 02:22 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing between HotSpot and BobCat (Updated comments with photos added!)

One of the best things you can do before choosing a first jet is watch it fly, either in person at a jet rally or on video tape.

I just got the new 13th Superman Jet Rally tape from SKS and it is outstanding! Lots of great HotSpot and BobCat flying.

There is no question the BobCat is an excellent airplane. In contrast to the HotSpot you've got the BVM name and a huge support system.

I fly a HotSpot and thought I'd just throw a few things out for what it's worth. Keep in mind I've never flown a BobCat. I believe it's a super airplane based on the comments in this forum but since there hasn't been a lot of HotSpot talk lately I thought I'd throw some stuff out to consider:

Parts count: If you plan on building your own airplane compare the parts counts of both. Check out the latest and previous issue of RCJI. The BobCat must have a thousand parts with multiple fuel tanks, gyros, etc.; the HotSpot, maybe 15 or 20 parts tops with a single fuel tank. Mine uses a membrane bubble-free clunk that keeps the flame burning under every kind of aerobatic manuever.

Ease of construction: No comparison, the HotSpot is far easier.

Price: HotSpot is less expensive.

Speed envelope: From watching the tapes and talking to flyers who have either seen it or flown it, the BobCat doesn't land any slower than a HotSpot. The HotSpot being of blended wing/body double delta design is capable of incredibly slow flight. I did some deep stalls with it and it will practically stop before it stalls. It will sail down the length of my 500 runway on a go-around, speed bleeding off the whole time waiting for my JetCat to spool up, and just keep on flyin' till the thrust kicks in. You practically have to shoot the thing down! With practice it can be landed on grass in 350 feet or less.

Speedbrake concept: The BobCat, in the interest of simplicity, uses its gear doors as speedbrakes. Instead of streamlining the doors; however, they are turned 90 degrees, like flat plates, to act as speedbrakes. This results in the rather bizarre notion of having speedbrakes extended for takeoff. The BobCat can pull it off because of the excess thrust but the doors cause an oscillation which must be damped with a gyro. The HotSpot has a separate F-15 style speedbrake and it lands just as well with or without it extended.

Safety: Much fuss is made out of the BobCat's engine mounting concept. When you think about it, the HotSpot is equally if not more safe. In the event of a serious crash, the HotSpot engine goes up and over all aircraft components, not through them.

Looks: Oh boy, this one's gonna get me in big trouble but here goes... People are floored with my HotSpot. "I thought it was the Concorde!" is typical. I get all kinds of comments about how gorgeous it is in the air. Granted, nobody flies jets out here so I don't have to compete with the rest of you guys and your spectacularly beautiful scale jets! To my eyes the HotSpot is sleek, sexy and with the right paint scheme drop dead gorgeous. If there was ever a jet that looked like it was going 300 mph standing still it's the HotSpot, but hey, that's just me. Is the HotSpot prettier than a BobCat, that's strictly personal!

Ease of flying. OK, I give in. Here's my honest opinion. I think the BobCat probably flies a bit more conventionally than the HotSpot. To land the Spot you need to first get it into slow flight by reducing power, raising the nose as you maintain altitude and bleed off speed, then bring up the power to establish nose-high slow flight. From that point you can start your approach and bring it in. I believe it's a failure to follow this procedure that causes guys to bring in HotSpots and Roos way too fast with the invevitable "kangaroo bounce" that results. The HotSpot is easy to fly and gets easier with practice. You would think the BobCat is easier but take a look at Superman 13 and you'll see plenty of "BobCat bounces" as well!

Ultimately you have to make our own decision based on lots of factors. Try to get to a jet rally if you can. If you can't, get the SKS 13 Superman Jet Rally tape, it will give an excellent perspective on both the HotSpot and the BobCat. If you have any interest in a HotSpot get the 2000 Florida Jets also, Jason Somes' high-speed low passes with a HotSpot will make your eyes water!

HotSpot, BobCat. Two great airplanes, either one a good choice depending on your own personal likes and requirements. Me? I'm still crazy about the HotSpot! If you are having a tough time deciding check out those tapes. You will be glad you did!
Old 01-31-2002, 02:42 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between HotSpot and BobCat (Updated comments with photos added!)

There wasn't a single BobCat flying at FJ 2001. All you could check was the prototype in primer.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:57 AM
Dustflyer

TonyF,

Thank you! I've corrected my post. I meant the 13th SUPERMAN Jet Rally tape. It's awesome!

I double checked, HotSpot fans won't want to miss that Florida Jets 2000 tape either. Wow, that's some flying Jason! Same goes for you BVM Bandit flyers and fans, you won't want to miss Rob Lynch on that same tape. Terrific!

Gene
Old 02-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Dustflyer

Default Photos

Should have thrown in a couple of photos, here they are...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2127_257.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	2038  
Old 02-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Dustflyer

Default Photo

Tried to get two small photos in the post but I couldn't seem to get it to work, here is the inflight shot.

Man, if that's not a great looking airplane I don't know what is!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2128_257.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2039  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM
CCHM

Could You give me some tips, I'm going to release a BobCat of BVM, For example: position of turbine, balance, mixtures, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by CCHM; 10-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
CCHM

Thanks.

Last edited by CCHM; 10-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:05 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting this was 12 years ago. Does anyone still make the hotspot or rookie looking plane? I had a rookie II, and have a bobcat. Interesting how people have such different impressions on things.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 AM
jetster81

You can still buy a Hotspot in Germany.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Yes. Hot Spots look very sleek. Flew mine on Saturday. It's 12 yrs old.

Hey. I was able to load a photo from my iPhone. That's new.

Last edited by Gary Arthur; 10-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I missed my old hotspot this season. It could take a real beating, and did so for just over 10 years. I was lucky enough to find an unfinished kit locally so I'm slowly building a replacement.

I saw some photos of the insides of the newly produced fuselage and it appears to be the same construction practices even though the tooling has changed hands. I'd be very curious to see details on the new wings with reflex though.

While I'm at it, if there are any partial kits or parts in north america and anyone's looking to clean out their garage, PM me! I'm on the lookout for a set of unbuildt fins.

Kelly

Last edited by Kelly W; 10-02-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Dustflyer

I recently spoke with Tad at Goldenwest models. He is the guy who built mine from an original Jet Team Liebetrau kit which is unfortunately no longer made. Graupner also made them at one time but it appears they no longer make them either.

Tad actually molds and kits his own Hotspots. When I spoke with him recently he said he could still build me one. The guy is an awesome craftsman who not only builds sport and scale model jets but all kinds of props for the movie industry, including a full-scale F-18 for the movie Independence Day.

If you are interested in a Hotspot I would suggest checking out his website and giving him a call.

http://goldenwestmodels.com/gwm/Welcome.html

If you click on "model planes" at the top of his website you will see my Hotspot, built in 2001 and still going strong. Don't miss the photo of his giant B-1 model, click on "gallery."

Here's mine in flight: (click on photo to enlarge)

Last edited by Dustflyer; 10-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Dustflyer

If you would like to see a video here it is:

That vintage P-80 makes the coolest sound on each pass and especially coming out of the loop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu1T_H8qtoE

Last edited by Dustflyer; 10-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

PHOTOS:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...pot-video.html

HotSpot+P160se VIDEOS : http://www.petame.gr/forumv/showthre...8262#post68262

Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Dustflyer

Awesome video!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

love my Hotspot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW1lu_6cFXY

Last edited by basimpsn; 10-04-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:06 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

I posted on here 10 days ago or so for..... Wanted Hotspot NIB to ready to fly. Didn't get any replies with anybody with one to sell. Still looking. I would like to get one with the reflex built in as was evidently done in later versions by at least one of the manufacturers. I have one without reflex but want one with reflex but I might settle for one without if I have to. Sent Tad at Golden West an email this morning to see if he can make me a kit.

I am curious about ones with reflex built in. Is the reflex only cut into the detachable outter wing panels or does the wing airfoil part of the fuselage also have reflex in it ?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by turnnburn
I posted on here 10 days ago or so for..... Wanted Hotspot NIB to ready to fly. Didn't get any replies with anybody with one to sell.....................

I am curious about ones with reflex built in. Is the reflex only cut into the detachable outter wing panels or does the wing airfoil part of the fuselage also have reflex in it ?
The problem is... you want one with built in reflex. I don't think that existed in a "Hot Spot". But there were a bunch of jets similar to a hot spot, that it MAY have been built in to. (Stingray, Kangaroo, Rookie, etc)

I was even thinking about contacting you, about selling mine. But I never did because you said... "I'm only interested in one with built in reflex."

Honestly... I'm not sure why that would make a diff. Either way... there is UP-elevator. And... either way... they can hall @$$.

Hey.... DUSTYFLIYER:

Is your hot spot still flying?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 AM
turnnburn

I am pretty sure someone was making a later version with the reflex built in, I donnt know who it was that made them that way, if , in fact somebody did. I have one without reflex but I was hoping to find one with. If I don't find one I will keep the one I have.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Dustflyer

Originally Posted by Dr Honda

Hey.... DUSTYFLIYER:

Is your hot spot still flying?
Yes it is! Flies like a dream. The video in my above post was taken just a few months ago. Will you be at the Hamburg Jamboree tomorrow (Sat)? I'll be there. Haven't decided if I will fly my Hotspot.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Dustflyer

I have honestly never seen or heard of a Hotspot with built in reflex. There were only two versions ever kitted that I know of: Jet Team Liebetrau and Graupner. You can tell the difference between them by where the wing bolt goes in. You have to flip the Liebetrau over to put the bolt in the bottom, Graupner goes in the top. Neither of those models ever had built in reflex. Tad Krzanowski has also been making his own Hotspots for quite some time, but again, to the best of my knowledge they do not have built in reflex.

I would have to agree with Dr. Honda regarding the built-in reflex thing. There may have been something similar to a Hotspot with that, but not any Hotspot I have heard of.

Regarding the reflex, is there any particular reason you would want it "built-in?" It is a very simple matter of setting the elevons to the recommended amount. I forget exactly what it is but can measure it for you. The reflex is pretty much a non-issue.

The Hotspot is a very unique airframe. It isn't really a delta, if it was it would fly with no reflex, like a Diamond Dust. It is more of a flying wing, which always requires some form of reflex as I understand it.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM
turnnburn

I put flights 4, 5 and 6 on my Hot Spot this afternoon. I have been flying DF Jets for 25plus years and exclusively Turbine jets for the last 12 plus years. I never had a Kangaroo or Hot Spot or similar. I always liked the looks of the Hot Spot and they always looked like good flyers to me when watching others guys fly them. Mine currently has a 10 or more year old Mercury that probably makes around 15 to 16 lbs thrust. I did not build mine, it has one badly bowed or warped elevon and none of the surfaces are really properly hinged with with little or no gap. Dang thing still flies quite well. Landings are just rock solid with no wing rock even with very slow nose high touch downs. I thought I had the CG about right but it must be a bit nose heavy. I added 3/4 oz of lead at wing trailing edge for the first flight today, about 1.5 ounces for flight number two another 1/2 ounce for the final flight today. No sign of being too tail heavy so far and seemed to fly the same or better with each passing flight today.

The other clue that I must be nose heavy is that it takes about 3/8" or very slightly less of up elevon to fly level. I may have a thrust issue as well. I noticed on the third flight that on a straight down line with engine at or near idle the airplane pitches up towards level with no up elevator input from me. I then did a full throttle up line and it holds the line straight up with no input needed. Sounds like I must have some "DOWN" thrust in the engine mounting.I have not dug out the build instructions to see what up or down thrust is called for on this bird.

I guess I was mistaken about latter versions having built in reflex. I wanted one with built in reflex because that's how it should have been designed from the start, IMO. I was thinking or hoping it would be a little cleaner and a small decrease in drag over a non reflex version but probably not. Not enough to matter or be noticed.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 PM
iiievolution

I guess I was mistaken about latter versions having built in reflex. I wanted one with built in reflex because that's how it should have been designed from the start, IMO. I was thinking or hoping it would be a little cleaner and a small decrease in drag over a non reflex version but probably not. Not enough to matter or be noticed.

Hello

You are correct on remembering that it is now manufactured with built in reflex in the wing. Air-tech jet team in Germany still produces the hotspot with the wing that you want. I held it my hands at Jetpower 2012. The fuselage is stil the same one without reflex built in to it's trailing edge. I have there brochure in front of me now and the price is 599 euros. Their email is [email protected] but they don't speak very good English. It was more of sign language and head nodding affair when talking to them at Jetpower. They flew it there and it also had thrust vectoring.

I still have my hotspot, for me it still is the best RC model I have ever flown, jet or prop. People that haven't flown one are usually amazed when they do get to fly one and people that have sold there hotspot usually regret it and end buying another one down the road.

Paul

Last edited by iiievolution; 10-05-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Dustflyer
Yes it is! Flies like a dream. The video in my above post was taken just a few months ago. Will you be at the Hamburg Jamboree tomorrow (Sat)? I'll be there. Haven't decided if I will fly my Hotspot.

Nope... sorry. I was gone all last weekend at the OC Turbo Fest.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:48 AM
Dustflyer

Originally Posted by iiievolution

You are correct on remembering that it is now manufactured with built in reflex in the wing. Air-tech jet team in Germany still produces the hotspot with the wing that you want. I held it my hands at Jetpower 2012. The fuselage is stil the same one without reflex built in to it's trailing edge. I have there brochure in front of me now and the price is 599 euros. Their email is [email protected] but they don't speak very good English. It was more of sign language and head nodding affair when talking to them at Jetpower. They flew it there and it also had thrust vectoring.

I still have my hotspot, for me it still is the best RC model I have ever flown, jet or prop. People that haven't flown one are usually amazed when they do get to fly one and people that have sold there hotspot usually regret it and end buying another one down the road.

Paul
Wow. You learn something new every day. Until now I have never heard of a Hotspot with built in reflex. Still, I'm not sure what particular advantage this would convey.

Anyway, here's the link. In German: http://www.air-tech.info/html/frame.html

Last edited by Dustflyer; 10-05-2013 at 04:55 AM.