Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New baby Jetcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New baby Jetcat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 06:10 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New baby Jetcat?

I am looking for a new small engine, and I keep hearing rumors of a new Jetcat with 15 pounds of thrust coming out...anybody have any details, hard info, about price/performance/release date?
Old 01-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts
Default New baby Jetcat?

Yeh It's called a P80 running at 107,000!!

Happy New Year America

Dave Wilshere
Motors & Rotors
Old 01-01-2003, 11:46 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Default New baby Jetcat?

Check out the PST 600 running at 160K, its a delight and its available now. I was so impressed by it and the people at PST,
BRG, David Gladwin
PS Not knocking JetCats, great engines, just waiting for my 160 ECUs to be upgrtaded to V4.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:48 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default New baby Jetcat?

I AM looking at the PST, but the extra three pounds of the baby jetcat(which is nothing but a rumor, as far as I can see!) is appealing, as is their service network here in the USA.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New baby Jetcat?

Hey David G;

How's your P160 flying and in what? I have been waiting for a couple of them for over a year now. Is it true the throttle response is a LOT better than the P120? Please enlighten me!
Old 01-02-2003, 04:34 PM
GerhardH

Default Mini jetcat

I too have heard rumors of a MW 54 from Jetcat. Too bad it always takes them almost two years from when they announce a product until they have it ready. Fortunately there are other excellent small engines available, so it's not a big loss.

I hope they will consentrate instead of getting ready the 160 and the 200. More powerfull engines are needed IMHO
Old 01-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Chris Z
My Feedback: (24)

Default The new Jetcat

The new Jetcat is going to be officially demonstrating at FJ 2003,it's larger than mw54. The engine is 90 mm in diameter, 2 Lbs and makes about 15 Lbs of thrust.
The price is TBD, but expected to be the same as the P80.
Regards,
Chris Zonio
Old 01-02-2003, 05:54 PM
GerhardH

Default Mini jetcat

Hello Chris,

Then it should be available by 2005 If Jetcat follows their previous schedule. What is the purpose of a large MW54. Why not just use a detuned P80 then? Am I missing something here
Old 01-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Chris Z

Default New baby Jetcat?

GerhardH,
I wasn't part of the "Jetcat consulting team", the question came up whether the rumor was true. Why don't you direct your comments to Jetcat, nobody on this forum can answer "WHY they did what they did"?
Old 01-02-2003, 06:17 PM
GerhardH

Default Jcat

I beg you pardon Chris.

I thought you where from Jetcat since you announced the engine here before it was listed on their website. I will ask Jetcat about it then
Old 01-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Chris Z

Default New baby Jetcat?

No problem,
Chris
Old 01-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Default Re: Mini jetcat

Originally posted by GerhardH
I too have heard rumors of a MW 54 from Jetcat. Too bad it always takes them almost two years from when they announce a product until they have it ready.
Yeah, instant gratification being what it is, it would be nice if stuff was available immediately - ideally as soon as the first rumor of its existence surfaces.

I want my P160 too -- preferably yesterday.

However, I for one sure appreciate the "we'll wait until we are absolutely sure it's ready before we take one dime of your money" approach that Jetcat USA has taken. It takes integrity to turn away potential sales if you think the product is not 100% ready for the market yet... I think they have probably seen some of the mistakes made by others in the past, and understand that long-term reputation rests on not making short-term decisions just to get product of some kind out the door.

A potential customer who is perhaps frustrated by a delay is probably much better than an actual customer who is unhappy about being given a seemingly unfinished product (been there, done that, don't wanna do it again).

Take your time, Mr Wilcox, and get the engine right before you ship mine.... but tomorrow would be good !

Later,
Gordon
Old 01-02-2003, 06:45 PM
GerhardH

Default Jcat

I totally agree with you Gordon, However, I do not agre on the practise of advertising a product before it is relatively ready to ship. (Maybe maximum three months before) Not only Jetcat is doing this, but other manufacturers also. I guess their purpose is to make people wait for their product, but I think that all it does is to make the company look unproffessional for not being able to supply.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:58 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: The new Jetcat

Originally posted by czonio
The new Jetcat is going to be officially demonstrating at FJ 2003,it's larger than mw54. The engine is 90 mm in diameter, 2 Lbs and makes about 15 Lbs of thrust.
I can't wait to see this, do you know where they showing it at?

Seriously, I will write up some more about this in an hour or so, I have real work right now.

I must say it is fun to get hammered about late deliveries on the same thread where some are trying to smoke out info on yet another unreleased product!
Old 01-02-2003, 09:48 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Products

First I think everyone should remember that JetCAT USA is a different entity that JetCAT. Obviously, JetCAT owns part of JetCAT USA, and they are intimately linked. Still they are different companies.

Some of you have talked to JetCAT (Germany) directly, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you remember that Bob Wilcox is the general manager of JetCAT USA, and you need to go to him for any information about products that are to be offered in the USA.

We are all acutely aware of the delivery situation of the P-160 in the US. At this point we do not even like to talk about anything as we cannot commit to mass deliveries of the P-160.

The first P-160s were in our hands last year around February I think. I know I flew one then, but I did not own one. A European (British?) rep took money for some and that started the famous bashing that JetCAT received very publicly here on this forum and in the press.

As JetCAT (not USA) has explained, the motors were not all performing well at high altitude. This took several months to fix. The yield has not been that good either, but no worse really than the early P-120s, it is just a learning curve. But they are coming in slowly, with some more due to ship out of California any day (PLEASE do not call Bob any more than you have, he is sick today, sounds terrible actually)

Back to JetCAT USA. We are not going to advertise or in any way promote any new products on this forum until they are ready to ship. If there is anything to see at Florida we will all be seeing it for the first time together, so anyone familiar with how we do things in the USA knows what will have to happen before we ship any new product.

Personally, I would like to see the P-160s ship first, then the P-200. IMHO anything beyond that is a distraction.

I am just one player among many and might get in trouble for this post, but I thought it was needed. Sorry for the length.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:46 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default New baby Jetcat?

Good post Matt!

Having had a P-160 on order for well over a year I have been as anxious as anyone to get mine. The wait will well be worth it once it gets here as I know it will be as good as the other JetCats I own. I would much rather wait a little longer for a dependable engine than get one that is going to turn my Phantom into a pile of fiberglass shards, I have been there and done that and still have the tail feathers to prove it. I would also much rather see a P-200 sitting in my shop than a 15# engine but that's just my opinion. Obviously someone is buying them.

David Reid
JetCat Rep
Old 01-03-2003, 01:03 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default New baby Jetcat?

Just to clarify something...NOWHERE did Jetcat themselves tease us with any info about this product...it's just a rumor I heard, that's all. Good on them for keeping quiet until they are ready.
I have seen at least a few "new engines" that are powered solely by "Press Release Technology"...
Old 01-03-2003, 01:23 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New baby Jetcat?

Wait a minute, I thought the bleachers in Texas did that!?! (sunspots???)
Old 01-03-2003, 03:59 AM
don b

Default Great post Matt

Hi Matt and David G Great posts about Jet Cat USA

I thank you guys for helping me explain what it happening with the P-160's

I have several customers wanting P-160's and it has been difficult for us as Jet Cat dealers to explain to our customers.

Bob has always been straight forward with us about what is going on. I am really glad that they have been very careful about releasing a product before it has been proven.
Matt hope to see you this spring

Thanks Don B Miniature Turbine Sales & Service
Old 01-03-2003, 01:28 PM
DavidR

Default New baby Jetcat?

Wait a minute, I thought the bleachers in Texas did that!?! (sunspots???)
Well that too!!!!! I was not saying the engine was the problem far from it. I was commenting on how I would hate to have to build another Phantom again.....

BTW thanks for remembering......

DR
Old 01-03-2003, 02:00 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default New baby Jetcat?

Don't worry so much, David. Yellow Aircraft sells a beautyfull F-4 ARF for only $1695, looks just like yours, top quality stuff.
So feel free to enter the inverted limbo contest at your local fun fly...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:37 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Default New baby Jetcat?

Ehab, One of my 160s is in my modified (much strengthened) Avonds F15 which now has exceptional acceleration. The 160 or mine at least, with V2 software, does not seem to have any better spool up time than the 120s which was fine anyway.

The 160 does run much hotter than the 120 but otherwise there is little difference in handling.

SFC is a little poorer than the 120 and the 80.

I hope the correspondent who mentioned a UK distributor bashing the JetCat product was not referring to Andy Sheldon at JetLine. JetCat could not find a more committed guy than Andy who like so many of us got very frustrated at 160 non-deliveries. I ordered and paid for my three 160s and sold my 120s in the belief that delivery was imminent. Nine months later my engines arrived.

Clearly JetCat had production problems but their big mistake was not keeping customers advised of the situation, indeed, their customer relations in general were quite dreadful.

I hold Markus and his team in very high regard and as one of the first JetCat fliers in the world I was very disappointed at the way he handled matters. However, that issue was covered in a very frank interview between Markus and Winnie Olghart published in Jet Power which I recommend anyone interested or involved with JetCats to read. I commend Markus for his honesty and do hope the JetCat problems are now behind us.

The JetCat 160 was fully reviewed in RCJI and my other two 160s will be installed in my Mig 29 which now lacks only the hydraulics. After my daughters return to london after the holidays the Mig will be receiving my full attention in the earnest hope that it can be made to work reliably.

I still think JetCat are wasting their time if they are working on a small engine. They have an excellent range of top quality products and the 500 market is well served by the Wren MW 54 and PST 600 which is a beautifully executed commercial version of the Wren design. But that is their commercial decision !

Happy new year to everyone,
BRG,
David gladwin
Old 01-04-2003, 01:41 AM
DavidR

Default New baby Jetcat?

Yellow Aircraft sells a beautyfull F-4 ARF for only $1695, looks just like yours, top quality stuff.
Not even close!