Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine CD needed near Nashville

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine CD needed near Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 12:24 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine CD needed near Nashville

Hello guys,
I need to find a TCD near Nashville.
I finally got my new Mercury for Christmas. I have approx. 500+ flights on ducted fan planes. I have ground school covered but need TCD.
Thanks, Randy
Old 01-02-2003, 12:50 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Ed Lungren is in Memphis, he is the only one in Tennesee, if you can't get hold of him you can make the drive down to Oxford, MS (about 5 hours from Nashville) and I will be happy to watch you fly.

David Reid
Old 01-02-2003, 11:33 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David is right. I live in Huntsville and plan to go to the Mississippi Afterburner again this year to get my waiver. David, can you or someone else there test fly my Super Reaper for me and then put me on buddy box so that I can get my waiver?

Gene
Old 01-02-2003, 03:17 PM
DavidR

Gene,

I am sure that one of us can help you out. We usually have several Turbine CD's at our event. Send me an email and I will send you my phone number so you can call me about this.

DR
Old 01-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Randy & Gene,

Ed Lungren is a personal friend of mine that I see and fly with quite often. We fly primarily during the week on a 4000' + full scale strip. When you are ready you can get in touch with Ed or myself if you don't want to wait until May to get C/D certified. Since I hate to type why don't both of you PM me your phone #'s so we can talk.

Kevin
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 AM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

Default CD

You could call Lewis Patton he lives in Louisville Kentucky he can sing you off.We are going to have a jet fly June 13,14,15 in Columbia, Tn come down and have some fun.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:28 AM
thunderjet

Default pic of Tennessee Jets site

Pic added for wd40. Maury County airport.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44741_20045.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	27715  
Old 01-03-2003, 03:41 AM
Jetjock51

Default Tennessee Jets

Tell me more about the June jet rally in Tennessee. The Mississippi Gang might be able to make that one. Where is Columbia TN?

Dennis Lott
Old 01-03-2003, 03:58 AM
wd40

Default Tennessee Jet's

We are 30 miles south of Nashville, Tn off highway 65 and about 65 miles north of Huntsville,AL I hope to see you guy's there.

Mike Grant
Old 01-03-2003, 03:59 AM
thunderjet

Default tennessee jets

Mr Lott
Tenn. Jets will be held at our local airport. That is about 35 miles south of Nashville and 20 miles west of I-65. I dont think it will be a SM or Fla jets. Prob. more like Mississippi or Ozark. Like Ozark's event we have brought the Idea to the city planners and they are giving a lot of support.
The airport is ours for 4 days.
The airport manager is putting together a small full scale static for the locals. I am also working on a few military birds just for fun. But thats a maybe.
Lots of awards,prizes and give aways.
I hope the whole gang can be there.
Thanks for the inquirey.

Thunderjet
Old 01-03-2003, 04:01 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! Mississippi Gang---Columbia is just south of Nashville. About 40 miles or so. I plan on attending.

Kevin
Old 01-03-2003, 08:21 PM
DavidR

I did not look at the picture of the airport very closely until just now. How close are those buildings (factories?) to the runway? It looks like a nice runway but It also looks like you would be flying over those buildings a whole lot. That might be an acceptable risk with one or two flights but I don't know about a jet event with several hundred flights. One plane going down into one of those buildings and starting a fire could be a catastrophe. Maybe they're not as close as they look though.

DR
Old 01-03-2003, 10:48 PM
wd40

Default Jet fly

The building at the west end [9] is scrap metal yard and there is not alot to hurt there I fly my Bobcat there, and I fly in the middle of the two groups of buildings and I stay closer to scrap yard side the west end. It will be ok David
Old 01-04-2003, 01:45 PM
geneh-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be there! It's too close for me not to go!

Does Scott Harris fly with your club?
Old 01-05-2003, 12:08 AM
thunderjet

Default Tennessee Jet Site

In reading a voiced concern about our site. I would like to add that in all the flying we have done there we have never overflown those buildings. It would take bad problem to get a plane that far away. To put things in scale the runway is 6500 feet long the photo has about 500 feet cut off the far end. The planes setting on the ramp area are comercial cargo transports for Saturn car company. The runway is also 115 feet wide.
There should be no problems at this site. This place is better than most jet event sites I have been to. I would like anyone who has any questions about the viability of this site. To feel free to come visit and fly any time.
Thanks for your time and hope to see you all in june.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:56 AM
DavidR

What is the distance in feet from the runway centerline to the fence line right behind the buildings? I am not knocking your site it looks fantastic the pictures make it appear that as a participant in your event I would be flying my jets over buildings. Every one of which in the picture appears to be a factory with cars parked around it. If they are 1000' or more away from runway centerline its a non issue, they just look close from the picture.

David Reid
Old 01-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Default site is great

I flew there today and have to say it was great! We went down to check it out and of course get in a couple flights. If you want to fly over those buildings, you better have lasic sergery first. They're a good 1/4 mile from where we flew. Can't wait till June.
Randy
Old 01-06-2003, 04:12 AM
S HARRIS

TODAY WE DECIDED TO GO VISIT THE COLUMBIA SITE AND VISIT WITH MIKE AND TREVOR AND OF CORSE "FLY" JETS!!! EVEN WITH THE BULDINGS IN VIEW THEY DIDN'T DICCOURAGE ME A BIT. IT SEEMS THAT ALMOST EVERY RALLEY I HAVE ATTENDED WILL HAVE SOMETHING INFRINGING IN THE FLIGHT AREA. EXAMPLES HOUSE IN FIELD ACROSS FROM RUNWAY,EVEN AT THE END OF RUNWAY, AND ROADWAYS THAT ARE OPERATIONAL. WE FLEW TODAY USING COMMOM SENSE JUST AS MANY PILOTS WILL I'M SURE.MY HATS OFF TO THESE GUYS AND YOU CAN BET I'LL BE ON THAT FLIGHT LINE COME JUNE. BOY I CAN'T WAIT. THANKS FOR THE INVITE GUYS . WE WILL HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN SOON.
SCOTT
THAT FUZZY GUY IN THE PIC IS RANDY FLYING HIS STARFIRE.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45463_736.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	27716  
Old 01-06-2003, 04:44 AM
DavidR

Look I'm not knocking the site just asking a question....do you or do you not fly over the buildings in a normal flight? I still haven't got an answer yet as to how far the buildings are away from the runway centerline. We are always looking for another jet rally to attend but those looked like BIG occupied buildings. Put a jet into one of those and what happens?
Old 01-06-2003, 04:58 AM
meanmf
Banned

Default distance

My rough measurement from the photo is 640 to 650 feet from the runway centerline to the edge of the buildings

Mark
Old 01-06-2003, 02:05 PM
thunderjet

Default site

I measured from center of runway to closest point of the building at the left side. It is about 925 feet. However this is far down range from front and center. I you were to draw a tape from pilots station to this building it would be about 1600ft. The buildings on the right is a scrap metal yard. It is farther away than the building on the left. There realy shouldn't be an issue with this.
In watching the jets fly yesterday useing a lot of sky and flying in the 170 range. We never over flew any of the buildings.
But thinking about your point. Yes a malfunction or loss of control could hit one of those buildings. This however does not stop other jet events with houses and well traveled roads within direct flight patern.

I will say again this should not cause any problems.

I will post a few more pics soon clearing up this question.
Thanks
Thunderjet
Old 02-23-2004, 07:49 PM
jettboy

Default RE: Turbine CD needed near Nashville

hello randy its me jeff from out at the airfield. i just wanted to say hi. by the way wha is a TCD[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
wd40

I hope to see all you guy's back at Tn jet's this year June 11,12,13 2004 I hope it will be better this year.

Mike Grant
Old 02-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Ooops! Wrong Year.....

Tom
Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 PM
DavidR

Tom,

Look at the dates on the posts!! Don't you remember Dennis and I were there?? Great event will be back again this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.