Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First DF aircraft suggestions

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First DF aircraft suggestions

Old 02-02-2002, 03:07 AM
jtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DF aircraft suggestions

Hello guys
I'm looking to build something for a Dynamax / OS .91 combo. Something that I can scratch build from balsa and ply to keep the costs down. I'm not looking for anything super fast, just a good flying airplane. Thanks
Old 02-02-2002, 05:46 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default all wood

Performance Phantom

It is a (way) stand off scale F-4, all wood

It was a plan in Flying Models maybe in 87?

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Madman

I am putting together a couple of Skyburners this winter. It meets your needs and I think its good looking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2117_437.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2061  
Old 02-02-2002, 04:23 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Madman,

Do you have any more information on the Skyburner?
Old 02-02-2002, 05:40 PM
jtech

Where can one get plans for the skyburner?
Old 02-03-2002, 12:53 AM
Madman

The original construction article is in the Feb '92 Model Airplane News. It is a little less sleek than the picture I posted. That picture is of the Austrialian kit from ODFAN, or something like that. Type in Skyburner into your favorite search engine.

Stephen
Old 02-03-2002, 01:15 AM
jtech

What is the wing span, length and weight of the Skyburner? How large of a fuel tank are you putting in them and how close to CG can it be located?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 02:44 AM
Madman

Span and length are between 54" and 56", depends on how and what you sand! Based on my OS 91 I will be trying to fit 24 oz total. Plus a 4 oz header. The great planes tank is closest to square and may fit best. The tank will be about 10" ahead of the CG. It may go further back but that will depend on the exact space.

One of the guys who has posted to the rcjet list mentioned he widened the fuse and mounted saddle tanks. They are not too thick and you could get away with about 1.5" to 2" greater width. I wanted to deviate as little as possible from the plans. Also I don't have the tanks and may not be getting them for a while. Another poster used two tanks in the front, one on top of the other!

A couple of us are building two. I am doing the balsa work and the other guy is supplying the wings and painting the planes. Another guy cut the wings and formers. Mine will have fixed gear to save $, the other guy has a set of spring airs.

For the fixed gear I understand the weight should be around 10 lbs. I will post as the project progresses.

Stephen
Old 02-05-2002, 01:45 AM
Buzzard Beak
My Feedback: (2)

I got the kit from Australia, and a couple of things to note. The instructions are very poor, and the guy who makes the kit isn't a jet type. He knows nothing about jets, so you are kinda on your own. The kit is pretty good as far as materials, and is a good value for the money. I got to the point that I was spending more time figuring if I was making a mistake by following the instructions, than I was actually building. I finally shelved it and got a Cyclone. Now that I've got the Cyclone almost done, I have the expierience to finish the Skyburner. The MAN plans and article are a good source of info and a much better instruction set.

Frank M