Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sheliak Jet Trainer

I am putting together a Sheliak Jet Trainer. It is an Italian made model by Flying Star. Bought it from Wings Pro in San Diego some time ago before they closed. Almost finished with it. Has anyone seen one of these fly? Or better yet, has anyone flown one of these? Would like to know what to expect. Things like landing speed (in MPH), top speed, cruising speed, stall characteristics, ect. Also, anything I should watch out for? How much runway does it need to land? Things like that. Also curious how the model holds up over time. I should be ready to fly in a couple of weeks. I really like the plane so far. I wanted a simple turbine plane that was easy to fly and land on a short paved runway. This looked like the ticket at the time.

Terry Jacobs
    AMA 260430

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sheliak Jet Trainer

Hey Terry, you may want to call John L. Picard or William T. Riker from ST TNG, they have seen them personally , no seriously , I was once considering on buying one, specially when the were on sale some time ago, so far I haven seen a thing here on RCU regarding the Sheliak.

Good luck, please tell us how the maiden flight went. [8D]
    Carlos R.
    Go fly a Jet today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Terry,

Let us know how it goes, with pics. I have one hanging in the garage but not got round to it yet. Kit seems to be fine. How well did it go together?

Trevor Skedge.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    www.jetflydemoteam.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi I still have a sheliak Jet trainer in primer, brand new in the box. It would be interested to find out who actually have flown it and can tell us all about it. It seems to be a high quality kit. I just don't have time to build it.

Mike
    Global Jet ARF PRO- Air-C-Race-Germany, CNC-Italy, Feibao, Gryphon/Redwings, Der Jet, Jet Legend, Ripmax Xcalibur, Aurora & more - globaljetclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know 2 italian pilot that have this model..

MAURO PIROTTI
    ALESSANDRO ROSINA

best regard's

Christian Guidi
    www.webalice.it/jetflydemoteam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62532.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	497085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74067.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	497086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu59726.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	497087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75074.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	497088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80589.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	497089  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47033.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	497090  
    www.jetflydemoteam.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trevor- Putting the kit together has been not so easy. Directions are not detailed enough with to few pictures. Basically, I'm putting things in as I see fit. If it is wrong, too bad. The finish looks really good but the clearcoat flakes easily around the hatch and inlet openings. Hatch fit is not so good. Wing fit to fuse is worse. I have no idea where the bulkheads should go. The one shown in the instructions looks as though it should go around the inlet ducts, but it is not even close to fitting. And the bypass, forget about it. It doesn't fit at all. Not even close. I'll just leave it out I guess. You don't even want me to get started telling you about the problems putting the wings together. What a pain. Used several dremel sanding drums. The struggle continues with many issues yet to overcome. I hope it flies OK. Then it will all be worth it.

Chrigui- Thanks for the pics. Have any close up pics with the hatch off? Do you know about how it flys? Top speed, landing speed, take-off distance, etc. Perhaps one of the guys you know who has one could comment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ive flown this jet two weeks ago with no problem at all. With a 30# artes engine its not a fast jet but its very stable and predictable in flight. Landing needs a little attention thats it.

Name:	Ge96101.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	497370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85622.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	497371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db83685.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	497372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tq48759.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	497373  
    It's a hobby - keep it simple

www.332ndredtail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Basimpsn- I am putting a RAM750 18 pound thrust engine in it. Do you thing you really need a 30 pound thrust engine in this plane? I had assumed this plane would top out at about 130 MPH, cruise at around 80 MPH, and land at about 25 MPH. Take off roll maybe 150 ft off pavement at 40 MPH and landing maybe about 400 ft including braking. What is your experience? Best guess. Looks as though it would knife edge good with some roll tendency. Probably sinks pretty fast inverted without giving down elevator. Vertical should be good with yours. I expect vertical to be rather poor with the RAM 750. Sound about right to you? When it stalls, does it drop the nose gently without tucking a wing or is it more nasty?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally got the Sheliak flying. Have 5 flights on it so far. Not as easy a plane to fly as my Cermark MB339. The landings are slower though. Landing gear wheels have a lot of drag. Model doesn't like to roll on the ground. No brakes required on landing since so much drag on wheels already. Good thing though as the brakes are very grabby. Full brake or none at all. Those are your options. Model take-off roll is pretty long, about 250 ft. I have a RAM 750 for power- 18 Lbs thrust. Take off speed at about 35-40 mph with no flap. Takes off with a lot of elevator. Flys with a heavy feel on the sticks at first. Aileron rolls are very axial with no elevator input while upside down. Good vertical- about 500 ft or so. Very wide speed range, 25-130 mph best estimate. Cruises at half throttle at about 80 mph. Makes a lot of noise while flying. The MB339 is quiet by comparison flying the same engine. At over 120 mph the inlets make a noticable whistling sound. Slows down very nice for landing to about 25-30 mph. Has a tendency to flare up just before touch down. Have to pay attention and not put too much elevator in. Else it goes back up in the air and then comes down hard on the gear. I was making landings in about 200 ft. With practice, I think shorter landing are possible. Model does not like wind. Wags and weather vanes way too much. Over 10 mph, it gets difficult to take off and land. The wind really pushes it around.

Anyone else flying one of these that can also comment?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a sheliak still new in the box. Anyone wants it? I have no time to build. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Mike
    Global Jet ARF PRO- Air-C-Race-Germany, CNC-Italy, Feibao, Gryphon/Redwings, Der Jet, Jet Legend, Ripmax Xcalibur, Aurora & more - globaljetclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I now have nine flights on mine. Fixed the brake issue with a separate tank filled to only 25 psi. Landing gear is much better now. Brakes were so strong they pushed the wheels into the retaining nuts causing drag even when brakes were not on. Getting more comfortable with the landings. Comes in nice and slow for stress free landings. The more I fly it, the more I like it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I damaged one of the wings on my Sheliak. Engine quit in a bad spot at Heart of Ohio Jets. Dead stick landing in a corn field resulted in a crushed leading edge and broken wing tube.

Has any one out there happen to have a set of wings and tubes they would be willing to sell for a Sheliek? TS Composite now sells this model out of Italy. They won't sell parts, just the whole plane. Price is right but shipping is very high. I'd appreciate any positive replys. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tlj125,

Mine still hangs from the garage ceiling so unless someone offers me money for it I will eventally get around to building it. I did have a look at the inlets and former and as you say these are difficult to fit and like you I thought the model will be better without them. I do like the finish and it shows promise just a shame I don't have the time right now.
    Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Trevor Skedge.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A few pics of the Sheliak at Heart of Ohio Jets. Hopefully, I did it correctly. Still looking for a right wing and wing tubes. If anyone has one of these kits to sell, I'm interested. Particularly if the same color scheme.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tlj 125

Well done, it looks good. I am surprised there aren't more of these out there. I advertised mine in the UK for sale at £500GBP but no takers as yet. It is still a kit and I guess with all the ARF's now available it may be less attractive. I paid £1200GBP for it new. How things have changed.

Trevor Skedge.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What color scheme is your Sheliak? What all is included in the offer? Can you include shipping cost to Cincinnati, Ohio in the US?

You are correct about other ARFs being more attractive. But I like they way this one flys. If I have to, I will repair the damaged wing on the one I have. Would prefer to buy another wing or kit and take a wing from it if the price is reasonable.

Terry

Name:	Tr50816.jpg 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	798648  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To all Sheliak builders/flyers - HELP!

I've bought TS's Sheliak (see previous posts)!

I've read the instructions (several times) and despite specific reference to the control surface movements, there are no actual values specified or recomendation on how to actuate the rudder (from the servo buried in the fin)!

But there is a really nice picture and instructions on how to mount the canopy/latch, lol!

I'm sure that there are loads of other issues that I will come across as I put it together, however these are the imediate questions facing me, given that I'm trying to fit the "knuckle" hinged ailerons, elevators, flaps and rudder at the moment.

Anybody know (remember) what actually worked - high/low rate - maximum required deflection?

Many thanks
    David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Perhaps you did not receive my e-mail. It is repeated here:

Congratulations on buying the plane from Trevor. Well, you asked for it, so
    here goes....

The instructions I have are in English and from WingsPro, San Diego,
    California (now gone). 10 pages of instructions and 2 pages of drawings. The
    instructions were not very helpful. I can scan them and send them to you as
    a PDF if you think you need them.

Good luck building the plane. I just put things in as I saw fit. In my
    opinion, the instructions were just flat wrong. I learned the hard way after
    gluing things in per the instructions only to have to cut everything back
    out and start over. Very frustrating. And I have been building and flying
    for over 20 years. At least 15 of those with jets. Building the Sheliak is a
    pain. But it does fly very nice. Like a big sport plane. Landings can be a
    bit tricky as the airplane likes to rise back into the air during landing
    flair. No high alpha landings with the Sheliak. The Sheliak was not my first
    jet. Many came before it. I do not recommend it as a first jet.

I will try to answer all your questions. I am sure you will have more. I can
    send you pictures of my Sheliak if it will help explain what I have done.
    Just ask.

I don't know anything about aluminum accessories. Unless they are talking
    about the control horns. TS sells aluminum control horns. I didn't buy them
    as they were too expensive. I just used cheap Dubro nylon control horns. I
    did not receive any aluminum accessories with my Sheliak.

I did get carbon tubes with the plane for hinging the control surfaces. Yes
    I used them. What a pain in the ass to put together. But it works great. You
    will need these tubes. See if you can get them from TS or somewhere on-line.

The control surface movements I used were as listed in my instructions:
    elevators- 16-20 mm up and down
    rudder- 18 mm right and left
    ailerons- 18-22 mm up and down
    flaps- 60 mm down

These settings worked very well for me. I set everything to the high side. I
    set-up low rates at 60% but didn't used them. Tried them once. Way to slow.
    The plane is very docile so low rates are not needed. Of course your
    preferences might be different.

For the first few flights with my Sheliak, I did not use any flap on
    take-off. Later I started using 50% flap on take-off to reduce take-off
    distance. The Sheliak takes about 200 feet or more to lift off without
    flaps. With 50% flaps it takes off around 150-200 feet. I am using an old 18
    lbs thrust RAM750. I land with full flaps down- 60 mm. Slows the plane down
    nicely. I have landed the plane without flaps. It comes in at about 40 mph
    or so with no flaps. Works OK but takes longer to slow down. Lands best with
    full flaps.

Advice:
    My best advise to you is to get an F16 as your first jet. The Cermark or
    Tamjet 1/8 scale version is low cost, easy to put together, and is very,
    very easy to fly. Most importantly, it is extremely easy to land. Much
    better than the Sheliak with no tendency to rise on landings or bounce down
    the runway doing its best to destroy the gear. The landing gear and brakes
    are also much better. It is easier to transport and work on as well. Trust
    me, leave the Sheliak for your second jet. You and your wallet will thank me
    later.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tlj125

I have a question for your. In one of your earlier posts I believe you mentioned that you had a RAM 750. I also have one and I am trying to find a source for maintenance/repairs. Do you or someone viewing this thread have a sorce for RAM service?

Thanks,
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed- Check out RTI for RAM service. Here is the website:

http://www.rtiturbines.com/service.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info - our instructions sound about the same (mine however are nine pages) except without the control surface movements!

My email must be on the futz because I don't get yours - I'll PM you.

Just robbed the piggy bank for all the gear to fit-out the beast (thanks to Mr Wilshire) some very nice long legged trailing link retracts will help (hopefully) with the landings (on our grass strip).

Now to find the Carbon tube of the appropriate diameter!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David

It was a pleasure...get the F-16 flying first then worry about the Sheliak.
    The basics are there so with a little thought I'm sure it will all work out fine

Dave
    Motors & Rotors. JetCat, Powerbox, Intairco, Behotec, Graupner. CARF-models Rep. JR Propo for ever!, Jet 1A, MAP, Evojet, BVM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a few pictures of the rudder linkage and servo. It is a pretty simple arrangement. Tried to take the pictures with minimal disassembly of the airplane. Removed one of the horizontal stabs and looked in the servo opening. Let me know if you have trouble understanding what is going on in the pics. I can always take more.

I would not recommend flying the Sheliak off grass. You will likely rip out the gear on landing. That is if you manage to get off the ground. Unless the grass is very short and the ground is smooth as pavement and solid.

Name:	Pn35587.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	818752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72650.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	818753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns43115.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	818754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic84330.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	818755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do82896.jpg 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	818756  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ct16788.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	818757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qs29059.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	818758  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Larger pictures of take off flaps and landing flaps.

Name:	Tr51448.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	818770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58059.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	818771  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast