Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 154 of 160 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 4000

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

I got my Bobcat flying last weekend. I have the grey and orange model with an OS60 and Robart retracksl. All went find put had a hard time seeiing it coming right at me. Is this why some jets have chrome on the leading edge? Any other ideas would be helpful.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SU-31 flyer

I got my Bobcat flying last weekend. I have the grey and orange model with an OS60 and Robart retracksl. All went find put had a hard time seeiing it coming right at me. Is this why some jets have chrome on the leading edge? Any other ideas would be helpful.

Put large breasts on the leading edge. Men have a special chromosome that allows us to see them from tremendous distances. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Socomon

Put large breasts on the leading edge. Men have a special chromosome that allows us to see them from tremendous distances. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL! It would make the plane a little heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what i am looking for are some pictures of radio/turbine installations, tank sizes, control surface movements etc and any mods i need to do to it
    Hi Jamie, I have one with an early 44 manual start which I bought damaged from a friend.

Probably the most important mods I made was the engine mount & some ali angle to support the rear engine mount 'shelf' which was showing signs of breaking off. Remarkably, the timber inside the shelf so you can tighten screws to it, stops just where you need the most strength, where the shelf joins the fuse.

The radio install is tight & all has to go in in the right order, starting with the tank (950cc Dubro). I did not use a header tank, just a felt clunk. Being manual start I only had to install the pump & a fuel valve in the fuse, no solenoids, a smaller ECU & a tiny ECU battery. To service the tank you have to make a lot of the radio install removeable but thankfully the servos are spread around the airframe.

From the front, the retract tank is siliconed in the nose, the two batteries go against the front former along with a Jetronic electronic retract valve & the pump is attached on the fuselage floor. All of this is fixed in position & you can still get the tank in & out. To hold the tank in position I made a former which screws in place into new blind nuts which are in the wing panel roots. This also holds the wings on at the front where they tend to spread.

The reciever, switch, fuel valve & ECU are mounted on a plywood plate which screws to two removable ply formers. To install this lot you install the formers, twist them 90 deg to the fuse then screw the shelf on which sort of wedges it all in. Sounds complicated but it's really quite simple & keeps everything seviceable. I have no pics of the install but if you need some I can take them & post them.

To help landings a lot of guys pop the ailerons up to help slow the model down. I have fitted a belly air brake with the servo behind the tank. The retracts are Spring Air units with wire legs, these can take a real pounding & not rip the gear mounts out, we also fly from grass.

I filled in the holes in the tailplane & covered the bottom surface & the leading edge with foil. Otherwise the slightest flame & your tail will be full of holes! I use a piece of bent sheet metal as a guard when starting.

Everywhere a bolt screwed up against balsa I recessed a bit of 3 mm ply so the bolt head didn't sink into the surface. Check the mounting points on the booms, mine were marginal & thouroughly re glued with epoxy.

I used the CG & control throws from a post around the No 110 mark. A word of advice, get some bright colours on your airframe somewhere, even with the 8 pound 44 the little Bobcat flies like a missile & is small & very hard to see. - John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pm34655.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	1251975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48756.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1251976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd83324.jpg 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1251977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pi17185.jpg 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	1251978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85274.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	1251979  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Socomon

.... NICE!
    Stimulating the economy, one miscalculation at a time...
    Revver Bro # 238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL! It would make the plane a little heavy.
    Silicon does not weigh much.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tried the large breasts.......Didnt' work out. Kept trying to touch them. Damn near broke a leg folowing the plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let's have a moment of silence..................

Yup-

Mine is no more. was doing some downwind passes, LOW, and I got the "ground jumped up and bit me" feeling. As "almost better" as it made me feel, (the club sec. told me there was a visible gust that pushed me down) It was my fault by not factoring the downwind/low pass "leave a bit of room" thing into the mix. If you look at the video, you can see my immediate reaction on the sticks, but at (est) 130mph to 140mph, my reaction wasn't fast enough. Our videographer was filming me when it happened, so the impact isn't on tape... It did however make one hell of a sound! It hit square on the belly, and on impact removed the right aileron control horn off of the surface. Being top hinged, it fluttered, and the oscillation went through the entire wing. This of course is what I remember. She rolled over to the left, and I couldn't roll back over to the right, so I pushed the nose down (inverted = up) to flare or whatever I was thinking and as a result, she violently spun in. As confirmed by the video, this all happened in like 2 seconds or so. I'm sure some other things were hurt real bad from the first impact before she went in, but the control horn abrasion and removal at least explained the flutter...
    Anyhow, here's the vid- I pushed her as hard as I normally do, only this time I got burnt.

http://www.cvrcclubvideos.us/SDVids/BobcatSplat.wmv

Name:	Us54679.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1253559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83183.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1253560  
    Revver Bro # 238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry for your loss excitor.

On the speed equation that we estimate, it not until I put a pitot and a GPS on one of my airframes that a true indication of speed and height came out, people's estimate of both seem to always be over the top, never slower or lower, but always faster and higher, I have a number of fast planes that most on the club site have estimated the speed at over 200mph and height at just under 400ft, in reality after installing the pitot and GPS the speed has never gone above 140mph and height at 270ft average, it certainly opened a lot of peoples eyes, especially the height that we think we get up to.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, GPS, radar and doppler all seem to concur on the speed, so unfortunately, I'm not being hopeful, just educated. since there were no measurements on the plane at the time of the crash, I feel compelled to say EST.
    Revver Bro # 238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,

My intentions of documenting and posting the bobcat build went well out the window!! I pressed on and finished the build, got everything set-up in line with the information I have found on this very site (much of it from you Exciter!) and have had 6 great flights before a bumpy landing… this was the typical bounce followed by a higher bounce then a stalled tail then a crunch! the damage isn’t bad just some cracked fibreglass behind the nose wheel spreading to the fuz sides and finishing around the servo plate. I have got some nice carbon fibre cloth to strengthen everything internally and I will cover the cracked gel coat with a large sticker!!
    While the plane is back on the bench undergoing repair I will fit a smoke system cos frankly it NEEDS IT! On this topic does anyone know where I ca get Super Dri smoke oil in the UK? Or does anyone have a home brew suggestion which is tried and tested??

I’ve posted the maiden flight vid here for your viewing pleasure, don’t worry the camera man has been sacked!

I have pictures of just about every stage of the build, I’m happy to share if anyone will find this useful.

Cheers.

Chuck.

PS Hard Luck Exciter at least it happened whilst doing what it does best...fast and low!

Name:	Mk24871.jpg 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	1268985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tp46163.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1268986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xd80995.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	1268987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Un34354.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	1268988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bm74062.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	1268989  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Of59222.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	1268990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pr25042.jpg 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	1268991  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The best smoke oil in the UK is off a building site, its used as formwork oil and smoke better than anything elese you can get.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

The best smoke oil in the UK is off a building site, its used as formwork oil and smoke better than anything elese you can get.

Mike
    Is that the stuff that is mixed with the morter
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cheers Mike, I'll give it a go!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Xairflyer

No its what is sprayed onto the plywood formwork to prevent the concrete sticking, its called mould realese oil. Its what most full size display pilots use.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the kind words, and for sticking through it chuckie! looks like you did a great job with the plane! It sure is a fun one to fly- thats for sure, but it can sure sting you too- Smoke would be awesome on this bird!!!! Keep up the fine work!
    ORIGINAL: chuckie099

Hi Guys,

My intentions of documenting and posting the bobcat build went well out the window!! I pressed on and finished the build, got everything set-up in line with the information I have found on this very site (much of it from you Exciter!) and have had 6 great flights before a bumpy landing… this was the typical bounce followed by a higher bounce then a stalled tail then a crunch! the damage isn’t bad just some cracked fibreglass behind the nose wheel spreading to the fuz sides and finishing around the servo plate. I have got some nice carbon fibre cloth to strengthen everything internally and I will cover the cracked gel coat with a large sticker!!
    While the plane is back on the bench undergoing repair I will fit a smoke system cos frankly it NEEDS IT! On this topic does anyone know where I ca get Super Dri smoke oil in the UK? Or does anyone have a home brew suggestion which is tried and tested??

I’ve posted the maiden flight vid here for your viewing pleasure, don’t worry the camera man has been sacked!

I have pictures of just about every stage of the build, I’m happy to share if anyone will find this useful.

Cheers.

Chuck.

PS Hard Luck Exciter at least it happened whilst doing what it does best...fast and low!
    Revver Bro # 238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Xairflyer

No its what is sprayed onto the plywood formwork to prevent the concrete sticking, its called mould realese oil. Its what most full size display pilots use.

Mike
    That's interesting, is it used neat or mixed with diesel
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In full size its used neat, I have used it neat in models, but ordinary IC glow needs a bit of fiddling to get the injector in the correct hottest area of the exhaust to smoke well, Petrol engines as they run hotter don't seem to mind where you put the injection nozzel as long as its pointing towards the exhaust port of the engine, but on a turbine its very effective as long as its somewhere near the exhaust, in fact anywhere near the exhaust. LOL

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

I've been searching for mould oil on the web today, lots to chose from. I take it I avoid the eco water Soluble type?

Probably a stupid question here but do I treat this oil like diesel or petrol and use Tygon tupe tubing, petrol tank, petrol pump etc. or wil lit be safe with standard silicon gear for glow fuel?? the base of mould oil seems to be a light mineral oil which is whts throwing me.

Cheers,

Chuck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have never tried silicon tubing with it as all my connections are petrol proof as it can be contaminated from outsides as well as internally, I don't know the manufacture of the mould oil I have as it was given to me by a chap on one of the building sites I have to visit occasionally, so I am afraid I can't be any more help than that, if I can find out what manufacture it came from I will post it on here.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cheers Mike,

I've got Tygon so I'll use it.. better to be safe than sory and all that!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fuel safe tubing is the way to go- there is also a black rubber tubing used here in the states- I don't think you want the water soluble mould release oil, as IMHO it wont smoke. The key ingredients in Super dri are mineral spirits, and Paraffin. You know, wax- like a candle. I think the mineral spirits thin the consistency of it to where it will flow correctly, and aid to heating quickly enough to atomize.

Another item worth noting, is don't flood the exhaust with too much oil, as it will cool the exhaust, and also I had an engine (50cc) that did not like where the oil was piped into it- it bogged the engine down, as the atomization was creating some sort of back pressure within the can. I moved the inlet, and all was good- Experimentation is the name of the game, so have fun!!!
    KM
    Revver Bro # 238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[youtube][/youtube]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJTCfMW7QI
    This should be cool to look at...
    Polishedbrother

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea I'm going to experiment a lot! I've got some of the black tubing which came with a Dubro smoke valve which I used on a college project around 15 years ago, its safe to say it did not stand the test of time!
    I recon I'll drill out the Dubro valve to take the yellow Tygon tubing instead of the black tube.

I was not going to use a smoke pump...just crank-case pressure via a one way Perry valve, through the smoke valve to pressurise the tank. The smoke oil will then flow from the tank, through the smoke valve, through a remote needle, through a simple pre-heater coil around the header (insulated with fibreglass and aluminium tape) then injected through a 1.5mm hole right into the header just in front of the exhaust port where the gasses should be hottest and the pressure lowest.

This should work and as the smoke valve controls both the pressure into the tank and the flow from the tank at the same time there shouldn't be a major delay between smoke on and actually getting the smoke as the system should still be under positive pressure when the valve is closed.

I will need to make sure I don’t throttle back too much with smoke on as this will probably kill the engine due to the crank-case pressure 'leak'!

If this doesn't work I'll spend the extra Β£30.00 on a true Perry smoke oil pump, again running off case pressure.

I was also going to run the exhaust through a silicon pipe through the side of the fuz and down out of the bottom. This should help keep the extra muck off the tail and look cool! Before I do this I'll take some measurements with the tach to make sure I don’t lose too many revs.

I'll post some pics of progress soon (when there is some!!)

Cheers,

Chuck.