Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

ORIGINAL: comstech

Ok not sure if this will help the opening on mine is 13 in (333mm) long x 3 1/4 (80mm) in the centre wide and I do have an 8mm lip all the way round. So I will email BVM Jets to see if I can get the size from them

Else anyone else go any idea's as $30 + postage is going to hurt
Do have a Nitroplanes/Nitromodels Bobcat?

That is what this thread is about.

The ParkFlyer plastic canopies should fit. I've used them.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the Bobcat 50? I ordered one from the gentlemen in the UK and it arrived last week. Nice straight replacement, just takes a bit longer to cross the pond into the USA. It was about the same though $32.48USD

His email is [email protected] his Name is Stephen Davis

Ralph

Just a reminder to everyone that I am seeking a canopy for a bobcat - I don't care about condition
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM
comstech

Hi opjose, I believe it is. I did not get it new but all the pics match. You tell me does the cockpit opening match yours?
13 in (333mm) long x 3  1/4 (80mm) in the centre wide and I do have an 8mm lip all the way round

Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 AM
bob092

I havent responded to this post in quite a while. A good source for Nitro planes bobcat 50 is directly through Nitro Planes. They have helped me get quite a few parts that I have needed . i always go to the vendor that sells the plane...they make a few bucks but will get you what is needed and it is the correct part...no second guessing or worrying will they take it back if wrong.
Bob
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
opjose

Hi opjose, I believe it is. I did not get it new but all the pics match. You tell me does the cockpit opening match yours?
13 in (333mm) long x 3 1/4 (80mm) in the centre wide and I do have an 8mm lip all the way round

How about some pictures if you could?

That may help identify the plane.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

Has anyone out there converted the Bobcat 50 horizontal stab into a fully symmetrical airfoil? It really wouldn't be that difficult. It might help with some of the dynamic trim/balance problems I've been reading about. I'm considering building one for my Bobcat. You could also just add some small curved half-ribs to the bottom of the stock stab and then monokote over them. It could be done at a very small weight penalty and as a bonus it would give some extra thickness to better hide a single, stab-mounted elevator servo. Any thoughts from you gurus out there?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

opjose,

Mine is the Bobcat-52 from Nitromodels/Nitroplanes.

I would definately buy one directly from them but they have been out of stock for at least 6 months. I contacted them directly and they told me to just keep watching the website. After 6 months of watching the website I am giving up on them.

My opening is the same: 13 in (333mm) long x 3 1/4 (80mm) in the centre wide and I do have an 8mm lip all the way round
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80349.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1765586  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 PM
opjose

The Park Flyer Plastics canopy should fit that.

They have more than one canopy.

Give them a call, they have modified canopies for other people to fit their planes.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks opjose, I'll give them a call.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Papa51

Opjose,

I just recently acquired a Bobcat 52 N.I.B. off the RCU classifieds. I'm planning on going with OS .75AX, 11 x 8P Graupner, retracts the whole 9 yards. i'm looking for some advice on engine location (forward/aft). I know that the farther forward the engine sits on the mount, the closer the propeller tips come to the wing trailing edge. Is there an optimum or minimum clearance I should maintain between the prop tips and the wing trailing edge? I could just mount the engine as far aft as possible but I know there is a CG issue to be addressed with larger engines on this airframe. This .75AX is pretty hefty (26 oz.). I want to leave enough clearance without having the engine unnecessarily too far to the rear. I've read through this entire thread twice and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here that will enable me to be successful with this aircraft. I tried to get an idea by looking at all the photos in this thread but it is kind of hard to extrapolate a measurement from a picture. It will certainly eliminate what would normally be a lot of trial and error getting this aircraft set up correctly and flyable. Any input from any of you still following this thread will certainly be helpful and appreciated.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Papa51

Opjose,

I just recently acquired a Bobcat 52 N.I.B. off the RCU classifieds. I'm planning on going with OS .75AX, 11 x 8P Graupner, retracts the whole 9 yards. i'm looking for some advice on engine location (forward/aft). I know that the farther forward the engine sits on the mount, the closer the propeller tips come to the wing trailing edge. Is there an optimum or minimum clearance I should maintain between the prop tips and the wing trailing edge? I could just mount the engine as far aft as possible but I know there is a CG issue to be addressed with larger engines on this airframe. This .75AX is pretty hefty (26 oz.). I want to leave enough clearance without having the engine unnecessarily too far to the rear. I've read through this entire thread twice and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here that will enable me to be successful with this aircraft. I tried to get an idea by looking at all the photos in this thread but it is kind of hard to extrapolate a measurement from a picture. It will certainly eliminate what would normally be a lot of trial and error getting this aircraft set up correctly and flyable. Any input from any of you still following this thread will certainly be helpful and appreciated.
Since the engine is mounted backwards we'll talk about forward-backward relative to the whole plane.

As long as the prop clears the wing trailing edge by about 1/4" or more you should be fine. I would recommend 1/2" clearance just for safety purposes.

I find that with the 75 size engines, 1/2" forward or backward does NOT have a dramatic effect on the C.G.... and whatever there is can be fixed by moving the battery packs a bit.

I put my dual packs in the nose.

Remember that this plane will not fly like other prop planes you may own. Some points...

- It will seem to be "mushy" until it gets up to speed.

- If the wing incidence is not positive when the plane is sitting on the ground it will seem to stick to the ground until it has more than enough airspeed, then head straight up, loosing speed and control.

- Elevator "neutral" should exhibit a slight upward deflection.

- Slight aileron reflex helps your landings. Put this on a switch if you can and turn on the reflex when entering final. ( Practice high in the air IMMEDIATELY once the plane is trimmed... )

- Landings should occur slightly nose high, once the main gear touches down, try to keep the nose gear up to bleed off speed.

- You'll need lots of runway.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Papa51

Thanks opjose.

Once I recieve all the parts and pieces I need for construction I plan to do a mock-up so that I know what I'm up against CG wise. That way I can make adjustments during the building/assembly process to assure I don't run into any major CG problems. I plan on going with Springair 302 or 305 rectracts and the landing gear shown. Elevator (HS-125MG), Rudders (HS-82MG), Ailerons (Futaba 3152's),
16oz. tank stopper forward. Can I get away with a micro servo on the retract air valve? For whomever is still following this thread, I welcome any comments from the peanut gallery out there. Give me your experiences (good/bad/indifferent).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64545.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1782934  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 AM
opjose

Thanks opjose.

Once I recieve all the parts and pieces I need for construction I plan to do a mock-up so that I know what I'm up against CG wise. That way I can make adjustments during the building/assembly process to assure I don't run into any major CG problems. I plan on going with Springair 302 or 305 rectracts and the landing gear shown. Elevator (HS-125MG), Rudders (HS-82MG), Ailerons (Futaba 3152's),
16oz. tank stopper forward. Can I get away with a micro servo on the retract air valve? For whomever is still following this thread, I welcome any comments from the peanut gallery out there. Give me your experiences (good/bad/indifferent).
The problem with most Micro servos is that they strip too easily.

Consider something a bit larger but not as large as a Mini.

I've used some very strong 15g ( weight ) servos from HK that serve me well for this purpose. They are only slightly larger than the Micros.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM
comstech

Can you post a picture when you have the tank mounted as there is not much room with the small metal wing alignment bar in place
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Did anyone find a canopy that fits right? I'm making one now but it would be easier if someone else already makes one.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got lucky a ways back and managed to get one from nitro models on one of the RARE ocations they had them but kind of got out of flying for a while and have yet to trim and install it, Thinking of making a plaster mold to make a few more to keep in reserve but that will be a ways off. In the middle of trying to buy a house and have a lot of stuff packed away but if I ever get to it I'll try and make a bunch and maybe put a few here for those in need.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

That's what I'll be doing with them if there is not a replacement. I've got the plaster replacement made and have access to a production size vacuum table. I just wanted to see if there is one that fits already.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Dauntae

When I was trying to find one when I got lucky at Nitro models I searched and none where to be had, Hopefully someone found a sorce since then. It seems like the canopy is the first thing to get damaged on these, Mine broke in transport to from the field.

Dauntae
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

noray makes a very good replacement for the Falcon 120 may possibly fit, look him up under members.

Mike
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM
BillS

Opjose,

In 2009 after having 3 other engines on a Bobcat I put a Tower .75 on the airplane. I put 10 flights on the Bobcat with the Tower .75. There were several mid range dead sticks and engine idle was 3500 rpm and much too fast for landing. I simply was unable to achieve top speed and idle speed with props that could be used.

I stopped and bench tested for 4 days (about 2 hours per day with various pusher and tractor props) with engine in the airplane. The engine could be adjusted and would run perfect with tractor props. All pusher props did not appear to cool properly and either did not transition properly or would not idle below 3500.

I stopped and removed the engine. Your success will be better.

Bill
Old 05-04-2013, 01:42 PM
SU-31 flyer

I have a OS 60FX in mine and think it is about right. Fly well and lands great. I did put my tank in with the front ot the front of plane to help fuel draw.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Dauntae

I have a Webra Speed .60 on mine, Only had one flight with that engine and life started getting in the way so stopped flying for a while but getting back into it now. If I remember right that Webra was getting in the 13 or 14K mark for rpm with a 11x7 but those Webra's were made for rpm. Went like a bat out of hell with that engine and now I got to get my thumbs back before I attempt to try flying the Bobcat again but I'll get there.

Dauntae
Old 11-09-2014, 05:20 AM
DP
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread but I I have a question. I have a Bobcat 50 and I want to put an electric motor with prop on it. Would like to see at least 125 to 130 out of it. Anyone done this or have an idea of what setup to use.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Papa51

DP,

You're probably not going to get that kind of performance out of an electric pusher setup with just a propeller. Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) would be the way to go for those speeds.
Check out the electric threads. Good luck with it.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:53 PM
DP
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the reply papa51. I will check that out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.