Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 AM
Gregor32
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

hi, can someone tell me if there is room inside the fuselage for a tuned pipe? im thinking about a rear exaust motor. my gues is that the tank would be in the way but could it be moved? or changed.
thanks Greg
Old 11-29-2006, 07:38 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am planning to go with a Jett .50 and start with a 10-6 pusher. I will use 4, HS-225mg servos for the rudder and elevator, with HS-475's for the ailerons. I will use some standard servos for the throttle and nose gear. I will replace the pushrods with my own, threaded welding rods. Haven't decided on 2-56 or 4-40.

I would like to do retracts but I do not know if I want to do that extra cutting and I have never installed them before. The only retracts I have laying around are Hobbico mechanicals and to buy the air type would cost more than the airplane. Bad enough the 6 Hitec servos cost more than the plane.

I will definitely do the 1/4-20 nylon bolts to hold the wing on and I will do robart hinges on the control surfaces. I do not trust the CA type. They are probably ok, I just don't like them. If I do not do the retracts I will check out the gear blocks as well as the engine blocks.

That's about it for now.....

Old 11-29-2006, 09:17 AM
gehr2box

There is an open area above the tank, but I don't think it's big enough for a pipe. Saw one earlier in the thread with the pipe run up the bottom between the gear that looked cool.

ORIGINAL: Gregor32

hi, can someone tell me if there is room inside the fuselage for a tuned pipe? im thinking about a rear exaust motor. my gues is that the tank would be in the way but could it be moved? or changed.
thanks Greg
Old 11-29-2006, 09:18 AM
gehr2box

That sounds like REAL hot rod.

ORIGINAL: thebluemax

I am planning to go with a Jett .50 and start with a 10-6 pusher. I will use 4, HS-225mg servos for the rudder and elevator, with HS-475's for the ailerons. I will use some standard servos for the throttle and nose gear. I will replace the pushrods with my own, threaded welding rods. Haven't decided on 2-56 or 4-40.

I would like to do retracts but I do not know if I want to do that extra cutting and I have never installed them before. The only retracts I have laying around are Hobbico mechanicals and to buy the air type would cost more than the airplane. Bad enough the 6 Hitec servos cost more than the plane.

I will definitely do the 1/4-20 nylon bolts to hold the wing on and I will do robart hinges on the control surfaces. I do not trust the CA type. They are probably ok, I just don't like them. If I do not do the retracts I will check out the gear blocks as well as the engine blocks.

That's about it for now.....

Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 PM
thebluemax

Should be but hopefully not too hot to handle. Otherwise, I will have to change engines.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:47 AM
kenazzo2000

can any one help me find pusher jets ?f15 f16 f18 or any other model
Old 11-30-2006, 02:52 AM
kenazzo2000

hello help me please
Old 11-30-2006, 03:28 AM
shorty55

Vmar to some jets, not pushers pullers, but very nice, A4,F5,F4,F18,mig21.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Got my Bobcat yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and packing. VERY HAPPY! Can't wait to start but can't do anything till my servos and Rossi 60 arrive. Even in the box it looks wicked...love it!
Joe
Pro Bro 2423
AMA 344995
Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
reyesraul
My Feedback: (4)

Could somebody give me a recommendation for Futaba servo in order to use in the elevator and the ruder?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:36 PM
MMallory

3002, 3102, 3101 or 9650 for either. Elevator mounted in stab you can use a 3150.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Article on converting this model to turbine use is in RC Jet International out now.

Regards

Jim
Old 12-02-2006, 02:39 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

anyone but me have a very sensitive elevator? Have the cg at 9.5". I am cutting the throw down and adding some more expo. Give it another try tomorrow. Bob
Old 12-02-2006, 05:38 PM
dragraces
My Feedback: (2)

My BOBCAT is here [looks awsome] and im gonna have a few questions as the build goes on, Ist it says epoxy wing 2 fuse i have never dealt with fiberglass can i epoxy right 2 it or do i need 2 take paint off before i epoxy i have built a few arfs so i have some experiance and have read entire post [twice] ill have more as time as goes on thx

Jason
Old 12-02-2006, 06:13 PM
AGR413

You would need to scuff the surfaces for good bonding that's about it IMHO. I Installed wing bolts instead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20941.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	570560  
Old 12-02-2006, 07:35 PM
thebluemax

Started working on mine and I already have a problem. One of the wing panels the hole is not drilled for the landing gear. I drilled the hole and mounted the gear and the blocks seem like they are ok but for some reason I know do not trust them. So to sleep at night, I think I will be cutting open the wing to check them put. Now if I got to cut holes in the wing I think I may as well do the retracts, even though I really don't want to spend the extra money. I do have Hobbico mechanicals but I don't think they wil easy to set up in this plane especially if the wing is to come off.

I know Topper used Spring Air 605's but looking at the Spring Air web site they are no longer available.

So my questions are:
What retracts have other guys used on this plane?
What would be a good recommendation without mortgaging the house?
Or can I get the Hobbico's installed and they will work on this?

Thanks......
Old 12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a set of Springair 305's coming for mine. They should fit in even better than the 605's as they are lower profile.

Mechanicals might be fine, but for models this size, its hard to beat the simplicity and reliability of the Springairs. They are worth the investment IMHO...

Bob
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Hoghead385

I'm finishing up my Bobcat with the OS 55. Can someone running this combination recommend a prop size for good all around performance? Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
zergkiller

for those of you who ordered from Raidentech:
1) Did you get a tracking number with standard ground shipping?
2) How long did it take to arrive when shipping by standard ground?
i've heard some good and some bad about raidentech shipping. thought i'd ask before forking over the $ thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

ORIGINAL: zergkiller

for those of you who ordered from Raidentech:
1) Did you get a tracking number with standard ground shipping?
2) How long did it take to arrive when shipping by standard ground?
i've heard some good and some bad about raidentech shipping. thought i'd ask before forking over the $ thanks!
1. Yes, Fedex ground, very fast from Cali
2. I believe it was 3 days from when it shipped. They were busy getting orders out so that took a bit
3. They are very courteous. I had made a call as I hadn't received mine after a week during the 2nd shipment rush on the kits. After speaking with Norman? he was very nice and shipped it right out. They answered the phone (very good sign) and had called me back upon checking on my order. 2 thumbs up.
I trust them. I have also ordered from Wonderhobby. Maybe the same folks but not sure, good experience as well.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:26 PM
zergkiller

thx dragonpilot! just ordered, hopefully it will ship in the next couple of days...
i'll keep you all up to date, i'm sure there are others that are curious about the shipping given the time of year
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM
AGR413

I took some time to do a write up on my experience with the Bobcat, this is yet to be completed but here is the link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...65&kit_id=4554
Old 12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
zergkiller

Okay, got a tracking number earlier today. I'm assuming since it only says "billing information received" that it hasn't actually shipped. How long did you guys have to wait for the "origin scan"?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:05 PM
dragraces
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Arg just read your article on rcu i was wondering instead of a Y reverser couldnt you just turn servo around ??

Im building mine now just need 2 clear some things up

Thx

Jason
Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
AGR413

Look at the picture, for simplicity sake lets just consider one rotational movement. No matter what orientation all servos on the same channel will turn the same direction at the same time.

Imagine that the servo on the bottom is mounted in one of the booms (on the inside actuating the elevator) and the one on the top left is in the other boom. The only way (without a reverser) to achieve the same movement is to put the servo control horn facing up instead of down.

So you have conquered the sequential movement problem but now you have created a geometry problem and with different lengths of push rods the two servos will be acting upon the two ends of the control surface differently and cause the servos to "fight". The "fighting" servos will wear out sooner than normal and eat up battery power. In addition, your control surface will not move the same amount of both sides which is another nightmare.

If you look at the servo on the top right (180 degrees) again you must still place the control arm on the top and the geometry is wrong again.

Using a reverser allows you to come as close as possible to duplicating the geometry of movement on both servos.

My experience says use the reverser but others may have different opinions and may even have a solution for the geometry problem.

Personally if I was building the plane over I would install one high torque servo in the elevator and gang the rudders together to use one high torque servo for them as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83188.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	572555  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.