Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Final flight of the Tomcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Final flight of the Tomcat

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:05 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Final flight of the Tomcat

I know that this is not RC Jet related, but I thought it would be appropriate to share it. I got all choked up awatching it as I am a huge fan of the F-14 Tomcat.

http://www.navytimes.com/static.php?...ight080206.php

Thanks
Anthony
Old 08-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Final flight of the Tomcat

Thanks for sharing...
Old 08-17-2006, 04:23 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I guess that this is something unexpected , but seems that the F-14´s will still be flying for a while... [:-]

Enrique

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0077.shtml
Old 08-17-2006, 04:27 PM
culver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a past Tomcat Tweeker it is a sad day to see the bird pass from the scene knowing that it is still one of the best fighters out there.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Well, I guess that this is something unexpected , but seems that the F-14´s will still be flying for a while... [:-]

Enrique

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0077.shtml
I would bet a significant amount of money that the number of Iranian F-14's that are still even flyable, much less can fight, is a big fat zero...

Bob
Old 08-17-2006, 04:43 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

You know, the Tomcat was an awesome aircraft in its day, but the mission it was designed for, that of protecting a carrier group from over-the-horizon missles fired from Backfires and Bears, has gone away - as has the fire-and-forget, over-the-horizon capability of the Phoenix which the politicians never would have let been used in their intended fashion anyway.

That, coupled with the fact that its old, not particularly fuel efficient, capable, or stealthy, and was a typical Grumman complex maintenance hog, ment that it was time to go. The A6 was an awesome aircraft in its day too, but it was time for it to leave when it did as well.

The end of an era for sure, but I for one am looking forward to the first F-35 deployment. I hope that doesn't get strangled by the bean counters in DC...

Bob
Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...craft/f-14.htm

Agree that the airplane aged a lot, but seems that it would be plenty capable if updated with more modern systems! there is a excelent article on this subject here:

http://www.flightjournal.com/fj/arti...8/f14f18_1.asp

Enrique

Old 08-17-2006, 10:43 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Thanks for sharing AAbdu.

The Tomcat is and will always be one of my favorite planes, and it is really sad to see it go. For me, and I'm sure I'm not alone, there is a certain romantacism about planes that have the right shape... kind of a sexyness to them.. and the tomcat had it all, from the swing wings, to the way the engines set angled outwards, to the big twin verticals, and who could forget the movie Top Gun.... I don't know, I guess its the kind of things that dreams are made of, just a beautiful figure that you can stare at for hours, there are few planes in history that just have that "thing" and the tomcat was one of them. RIP friend
Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great link!!

Every now and then you need to reflect on something great, and the Tomcat was just that. I was an Air Force guy for the few who don't know. I was a Viper keeper and a keeper of the Black Jet in the years I crewed the line. But I can honestly say, we always stopped and watched when a Tomcat would enter the pattern and land at an Air Force Base. It was one of the great ones.

It is a design that is right; by the look, the performance, and the ability; there weren't many that could top it. It can be summed up by the statement of "Great American Ingenuity" and one "*****in' Bird".

All good things must come to an end, and for the F-14 its days are short. But as they say .... "heros may come and go, but Legends never die".

To those who maintained and flew her, great job and thanks for the work. To the birds which we all have come to love...... "God Speed" my friend.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

2006 will be a really sad year for all Tomcat fans, for those lucky enough to live close to Oceana don't miss the airshow this year, the F-14 appearance is not yet confirmed, but where else can you say good bye to the baby.

http://www.oceanaairshow.com
Old 08-23-2006, 02:06 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: mugenkidd

Thanks for sharing AAbdu.

The Tomcat is and will always be one of my favorite planes, and it is really sad to see it go. For me, and I'm sure I'm not alone, there is a certain romantacism about planes that have the right shape... kind of a sexyness to them.. and the tomcat had it all, from the swing wings, to the way the engines set angled outwards, to the big twin verticals, and who could forget the movie Top Gun.... I don't know, I guess its the kind of things that dreams are made of, just a beautiful figure that you can stare at for hours, there are few planes in history that just have that "thing" and the tomcat was one of them. RIP friend
Ditto Muggenkid. We understand each other mate. You said exactly what I would have said. Living in the UK I have never seen a Tomcat and I doubt I will ever see one fly now[&o]
Sad Day
Old 08-23-2006, 02:07 AM
baron-noir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Tomcat lover since ever I saw it for the first time. Before Top Gun (a classic for that plane) was another movie called "The Final Countdown" (1980 !) in which the sequences of the confrontation between Zero Fighters and F-14 were awesome. Remember that F-14 passing below the Zero and pulling up in front of him, filmed in front of the action ? That plane is as sexy as a plane can be...

For it beeing the best fighter out there, you can be sure that if it was, the US Navy wouldn't have them depart the fleet.

Sk
Old 08-23-2006, 11:23 AM
seattle_helo
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for posting that link, Anthony.

nick
Old 12-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

On what date did they OFFICIALLY retite the F-14? I was in a hospital from August 2004 and my short term memory is not so good. Now ask me about Carrie Helms under the "kissing tree" back in the second grade!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
weasel33

I was in virginia beach when they where practising for the big day
brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21102.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	576739  
Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 AM
AirPac Models

The Full Size F-14 just retired, but our new EDF F-14 just come out....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52916.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	576935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96610.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	576936  
Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 AM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one Eric, what are the specs?
Is it ready know?

Michel
Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 PM
AirPac Models

The EDF F-14 Length is 47 1/4" (1200mm), Wingspan 48.1" (1223mm). Suggest power for twin 70mm AirPower AP-700 fun unties. The plane come with not paint white, or painted gray or blue. you can buy the plane only or combo with power system.