Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Watch out So-Cal flyers......."They" are watching you!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Watch out So-Cal flyers......."They" are watching you!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Watch out So-Cal flyers......."They" are watching you!

I just flew in and out of Orange County / Santa Anna (KSNA) and while the First Officer was getting the ATIS (Airport Terminal Information Service) for the departure, my interest peaked when I heard the following in addition to the weather conditions:

“Airman’s Advisory, Caution, Model Aircraft activity 4 miles Southwest of the field below 400’ if you encounter a model aircraft above 400’, advise the tower”

Now, I’ve been doing the flying thing for quite a while now but I have never heard this one before! Whuzzup?

Which field is this?

Assuming that the full scale aircraft operating in the vicinity of KSNA are 1000’ above the populated areas (per the FARs), how accurately can the pilots estimate 400’ unless the model is WAY over 400’?

Have there been "issues"?

Tailwinds,

John
Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 PM
abqflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Watch out So-Cal flyers......."They" are watching you!

Full scale aircraft are not required to maintain minimum altitudes during takeoff and landing. Depending on the aircraft, they could conceivably be at or near 400' at 4 miles from the airport. Could also be model rockets.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:48 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: abqflyer

Full scale aircraft are not required to maintain minimum altitudes during takeoff and landing. Depending on the aircraft, they could conceivably be at or near 400' at 4 miles from the airport. Could also be model rockets.
I am familiar with what you are saying but in this case, 4 miles Southwest of the field is not on the arrival or departure path or for that matter, with in the traffic pattern. All those familiar with Orange County will tell you about the specific requirements for this airport that is right smack in the middle of some very high-end real estate including noise sensitive areas with the most stringent requirements in the country. My point is that there has to have been some incident or incidents that caused this advisory to be published. I seems reasonable that the 400' rule had to be vastly exceeded by a model aircraft to be noticed at all................................
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let them watch there all they want- There is NOTHING there that would even resemble R/C flying. That is some of the most expensive real estate in calif. The shaded area is about four miles south west of SNA. There is a glider hill about 10 miles south EAST of there and the new OCMA field is about 10 miles due east of there but there is nothing but alot of really expensive dirt in the area noted. The rich folk in that area are the reason the jets have to do that gut wrenching climb out then throttle back to idle for noise abatement. I dearly wish there was model flying that close to my house thoug instead of having to drive 75 miles.Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44311.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	509004  
Old 08-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Orange County / Santa Anna (KSNA)

Well to start with I am making the following comments to U as a fellow modeler not as a Commercial Pilot.

I have setup and flown and trained numerous Transport Category Pilots In/out of SNA and there isn't just one problem at this location.

1. High Terrain to the East causing a late descent.

2. Overlay with LAX for arrivals.

3. Various special interest groups with arrival and departure Paths ! Navigation!.

4. Numerous absurd noise abatement procedures with regard to how to operate the Engines Power out put. !Thrust!

To give u some incite Large Turbojet Aircraft are held about 4 to 6 thousand feet high on the arrival when cleared to descend they must deploy speed-brakes and make very steep descent angles while not building up to much airspeed to stay on profile. Typically only out of the last 1500 feet does an Airliner sized plane become stabilized. ' Constant Rate of Descent with Engines Spooled'

I suspect that some of the special interest groups and possibly some Pilots have complained about RC Pilots flying higher then they should. Personally I have seen this as well either they can't tell Altitudes or they don't care. I have not witnessed this at KSNA.

Sounds like the FAA is now watching this area and if more Full Scale Pilots complain your flying RC will be severely restricted. As concerned modeler perhaps it's time someone called the local FSDO or GADO office of the FAA and can find the actual problem.

One last thought this person should not only be a RC Pilot but at least a Private pilot.

Hope this helps U Guys'
Ian
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

I've been in and out of SNA more than a few times and can't imagine someone being 4 miles away from the airport at 400'. That's just not reasonable, but what the heck do I know?

Beave
Old 08-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

Wow......you really have to drive 75 miles to fly?? And to think I complain about 15 minutes!!

ORIGINAL: GSR

Let them watch there all they want- There is NOTHING there that would even resemble R/C flying. That is some of the most expensive real estate in calif. The shaded area is about four miles south west of SNA. There is a glider hill about 10 miles south EAST of there and the new OCMA field is about 10 miles due east of there but there is nothing but alot of really expensive dirt in the area noted. The rich folk in that area are the reason the jets have to do that gut wrenching climb out then throttle back to idle for noise abatement. I dearly wish there was model flying that close to my house thoug instead of having to drive 75 miles.Scott
Old 08-18-2006, 04:40 PM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

This is probably the OCMA/Fairview park site. The glider guys got into trouble for flying too high so they and enforcing the 400' ceiling rule:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539935
Old 08-18-2006, 07:10 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: steph280

This is probably the OCMA/Fairview park site. The glider guys got into trouble for flying too high so they and enforcing the 400' ceiling rule:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539935
OCMA Fairview flying site? New one for me. Last time I got in a fist fight about this Fairview Park was Harbor Soaring Society. Well what is left of HSS after the propeller heads screwed it up. Sailplanes have been flying high for 35 years. Interesting that the unenforceable 400 foot thing popped up when the HSS president is a power only flyer.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:11 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: bevar

I've been in and out of SNA more than a few times and can't imagine someone being 4 miles away from the airport at 400'. That's just not reasonable, but what the heck do I know?

Beave
Need to tell this to the local FAA jerk that thinks he can limit model aircraft's flying hight 3.25 miles from John Wayne.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Daren Savage
My Feedback: (6)

I believe this is more of a concern for inbound pilots. If you're flying down the coast, you would enter the pattern for 19R at a 45 degree angle beginning from the Huntington Beach Pier to an imaginary point about midway of the airport.

This path from the Pier to the mid runway for 19R would fly you almost directly over Fairview Park. Also, it's highly recommended that you fly the 45, as it's called, at traffic pattern altitude, which for 19R is about 1,000 AGL (1,050 MSL) for singles.

And, although you wouldn't normally fly at pattern altitude from the pier, you would want to be getting down to it by Fairview Park. Looking out for model airplanes is not what you want to be doing at the busiest time in a flight, approaching one of the busiest airports in the nation. []

You can call the ATIS at 714-546-2279 to hear it from "Ollie" directly. We call the computer voice "Ollie" because it kind of sounds like one of the Swedes from the Muppet Show.

Below is a map of the arrival flight path that I'm referring to. For those unfamilar with SNA's procedures, you need to get the ATIS info for both outbound and inbound flights prior to contacting ATC.

Daren

Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

As I see a high level of professional experiance posting let me ask under what authority does the FAA have to limit the height of model aircraft. Let me "flavor" this by what is posted on the FAA web site:

Question: Does FAA have regulations for operating small radio-controlled, gas-powered airplanes?

Answer: We do not have regulations for small radio-controlled, gas-powered airplanes operated for sport and recreation. We do have guidance for operating "model" aircraft in Advisory Circular (AC) 91-57 "Model Aircraft Operating Standards.

AC 91-57
Date June 9, 1981

ADVISORY CIRCULAR

"DOT Logo"

Subject: MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATING STANDARDS

1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular outlines, and encourages vouluntary compliance with, safety standards for model aircraft operators.

2. BACKGROUND. Modelers, generally, are concerned about safety and do exercise good judgement when flying model aircraft. However, model aircraft can at times pose a hazard to full-scale aircraft in flight and to persons and property on the surface. Complicance with the following standards will help reduce the potential for that hazard and create a good neighbor environment with affected communities and airspace users.

3. OPERATIONG STANDARDS.

a. Select an operating site that is of sufficient distance from populated areas. The selected site should be away from the noise sensitive areas such as parks, schools, hospitals, churches, etc.

b. Do not operate model aircraft in the presence of spectators until the aircraft is succesfully flight tested and proven airworthy.

c. Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface. When flying aircraft within 3 miles of an airport, notify the airport operator, or when an air traffic facility is located at the airport, notify the control tower, or flight service station.

d. Give right of way to, and avoid flying in the proxibity of, full-scale aircraft. Use observers to help if possible.

e. Do not hesitate to ask for assistance from any airport traffic control tower or flight service station concerning copliance with these standards.

Note this is an AC and not a FAR. Also important to read the FAA deffintion of "aircraft".
Old 08-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

..perhaps this will answer your question...

Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: bevar

Beave
Need to tell this to the local FAA jerk that thinks he can limit model aircraft's flying hight 3.25 miles from John Wayne.
Kind of reminds me of that old George Carlin routine where he gets pulled over by a State Trooper and tells him:

"You're a PUBLIC SERVANT...why don't you go get me a glass of water!"

I think you should go right up to the FAA "jerk" and remind him he WORKS FOR YOU, and he has NO RIGHT TO TELL YOU HOW HIGH TO FLY 3.25 miles from the airport. Go print out those rules and wave them in his face. Then go ahead and fly AS HIGH AS YOU WANT right near that airport.

Go put your money where your mouth is and tell this FAA guy where he can stick it! GO FOR IT!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:17 AM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

I heard that on the ATIS the other day also and it got my attention......didn't see anything that resembled a model field in 4 nm SW of SNA.....just lots of city and homes.......oh, and BTW, if you're at 400' 4 miles from the airport, you got a lot bigger problem than model aircraft......it's a really bad day at work!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:04 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

California is well known for, well, spoiled, rich, gay, liberal, really weird folks, including Federal Judges. However, when the spoiled rich are involved, people must be careful. With a report like this, do as suggested. Give them a call and find out EXACTLY what the cause for the NOTAM is. Could be, perhaps, that some whinny, dirty diaper, snot nose that is jealous because he/she can't fly r/c, and knows someone in the system, has made a bogus report. This could also apply to some pvt. plt. who lives with his/her parents at the age of 50 and thinks the sky belongs to him/her. Don't worry about it. Enjoy the hobby, fly safe!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you should go right up to the FAA "jerk" and remind him he WORKS FOR YOU, and he has NO RIGHT TO TELL YOU HOW HIGH TO FLY 3.25 miles from the airport. Go print out those rules and wave them in his face. Then go ahead and fly AS HIGH AS YOU WANT right near that airport.

Go put your money where your mouth is and tell this FAA guy where he can stick it! GO FOR IT!

You are going to come out on the losing end of this EVERY time!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM
K1 Burner

You should know Mr. collins, shouldn't you?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:52 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Steve Collins

You are going to come out on the losing end of this EVERY time!
Steve ..... IMO I believe ET ment this sarcastically, you cant push a string or fight city hall
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

John,
I have flown at this field numerous times over the last two years. The glider guys are there in the morning and are probably exceeding the 400' ceiling. I have never seen a commercial jet go directly overhead at an altitude that would even allow them to see the models. The prop jobs that fly there is mainly park stuff. Even the EDF stuff I fly with Herb rarely exceeds 400'.
Maybe some private aircraft have encountered some models while entering the downwind 45 but I doubt it.
Bob

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

I just flew in and out of Orange County / Santa Anna (KSNA) and while the First Officer was getting the ATIS (Airport Terminal Information Service) for the departure, my interest peaked when I heard the following in addition to the weather conditions:

“Airman’s Advisory, Caution, Model Aircraft activity 4 miles Southwest of the field below 400’ if you encounter a model aircraft above 400’, advise the tower”

Now, I’ve been doing the flying thing for quite a while now but I have never heard this one before! Whuzzup?

Which field is this?

Assuming that the full scale aircraft operating in the vicinity of KSNA are 1000’ above the populated areas (per the FARs), how accurately can the pilots estimate 400’ unless the model is WAY over 400’?

Have there been "issues"?

Tailwinds,

John
Old 09-05-2006, 11:06 AM
charlieoneseven

They had an event over the weekend in Costa Mesa and posted quite a few pics of the site. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564137 every time I have been there it has been nearly deserted and a dust bowl with no nice places to land anything of value. Electric planes and gliders only now to keep the city happy. No glow, gas, turbines or rockets=no fun usually. I was told by a club member that permits would be required for each pilot using the site but nobody at the site has been checking for them that I've seen.
Another site El Toro was reciently closed to R/C but they allowed the horses to stay until the mega park commity decides how to re-use this Marine corps airport. The OC has lost just about every flying field that was any good over the last 10 years starting with Mile Square Park where I learned to fly R/C.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:13 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

John,
I have flown at this field numerous times over the last two years. The glider guys are there in the morning and are probably exceeding the 400' ceiling. I have never seen a commercial jet go directly overhead at an altitude that would even allow them to see the models. The prop jobs that fly there is mainly park stuff. Even the EDF stuff I fly with Herb rarely exceeds 400'.
Maybe some private aircraft have encountered some models while entering the downwind 45 but I doubt it.
Bob
The only general aviation aircraft that comes over below 1,000 is the police chopper. As this park is next to a county nature preserve where raptors nest the chopper should not be flying over the area unless it's absolutly necessary. I observed several electrics chasing a fledging Redtailed hawk a few weeks back. Not cool.

The flying area is a 1,000 feet over the three mile limit from the nearest point on the airport property and over four miles if you use the center of the runways. This nulifies the three mile rule that the FAA is trying to impose.

The "prop jobs" include several at 20 to 40 pounds in excess of 50 mph at head level next to a public path. Not something I would want to get hit with or have others hit with.

As I see it the police chopper pilots are the problem not general aviation.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:27 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: charlieoneseven

They had an event over the weekend in Costa Mesa and posted quite a few pics of the site. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564137 every time I have been there it has been nearly deserted and a dust bowl with no nice places to land anything of value. Electric planes and gliders only now to keep the city happy. No glow, gas, turbines or rockets=no fun usually. I was told by a club member that permits would be required for each pilot using the site but nobody at the site has been checking for them that I've seen.
Another site El Toro was reciently closed to R/C but they allowed the horses to stay until the mega park commity decides how to re-use this Marine corps airport. The OC has lost just about every flying field that was any good over the last 10 years starting with Mile Square Park where I learned to fly R/C.
The reason that Fairview will be lost is because of the selfish power flyers. They have infiltrated the soaring club and used it's good will with the city to attempt to take control of the site through a forced permit process. Rumor has it that the 400 foot limit was seized upon by them as a means of excluding all the soaring pilots from the site and then, through attrition, from the club. The permit rules are so restrictive that you could not fly a 50 cent balsa glider at the park unless you have $500,000 personal liability or an AMA membership. Interesting that the four or five power flyers behind this are from the now defunct and grass covered Mile Square flying site as well as the defunct El Toro site.

Sailplanes and small electrics have been tolerated by the city. Moderate to large power will not be as there is no intention by the city to fence off the area required to fly them safely.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Hey SoCal,

How has the fight been coming? Managed to get those "Power fliers" out of the park yet? Or did you lose the entire place?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Below is a direct quote from the AMA rule book.

"5. I will not fly my model aircraft higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level, when within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. I will yield the right-of-way and avoid flying in the proximity of full-scale aircraft, utilizing a spotter when appropriate."

I fly at one field S.E. of downtown Denver, CO. that is 2 3/4 miles from the approach end of the north/south runway of Centennial Airport. The model field has had a 400ft altitude restriction mandated by the FAA for over 30 years. There was a colision between a light twin and a model sail plane about 30 years ago. At that time the FAA proposed a 150ft altitude restriction but later agreed to 400ft.