Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-15 ARF Customers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-15 ARF Customers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-15 ARF Customers

Hi Guys,

I have found that the only way I can get the main tanks in is to trim the bulkhead infront of the tanks between the large lightening holes. Have you guys found the same?

I have managed to cut tunnels in the wings and fins to install a lighting kit from electrodynamics. A bit of mission to avoid damaging the paint work but I have got it done and I am just waiting on the lighting kit to install.

Thanks,

Craig.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig lets see some pic of the lighting work and some info on how you did it. Do you have website where we can get that lighting kit. TIA John
Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Jedi,

I will get some photos and post but I am using safari on a mac and rcu doesn't seem to want to uploan photos for some reason. I will try using another computer but here is how I did it....

fins.......I drilled a hole in the fin base and got a 0.5m length of piano wire and ground the tip to a sharp point. I then heated the tip and ran the wire up throught the foam core in one or two passes along a line which I had marked with some fine line tape on the outside of the fin. When I got to the fiberglass base of the fin tip, I sharpened the wire more and heated it again to push up through the base of the fin moulding. This gained access to the inside of the fin moulding. I then cut the moulded light housing from the trailing edge of the fin and I was then able to see the wire that I had pushed into the fin tip moulding. I will now be able to run a pull wire up through the fin and feed a snare wire in the the light housing hole to grab the pull cable and pull it out through the trailing edge of the fin! I have yet to install the wiring but the hard stuff is done.

wings......cut out the lens areas marked by decals on the leading adge and wing tips. For the tips, I drilled a hole though the inboard base of the moulded fin tip with a dremel and a 3.5mm drill bit and fed the heated piano wire though the tip hole, through the foam core into the servo box in the centre of the wing. I followed a line that I had premarked with fine line tape again to enter a window that I had cut in the balsa wall of the servo box. Wasn't as hard as it sounds to line up. I then followed a similar process from the wing root into the servo box. The leading edge channel was dead easy as you don't have to travel very far.

I will take some pictures and try to post with IE as it is much easier to see. I incurred a couple of minor chips to the paint just when I was sanding the sides of the light recesses but I can wasily hide these when I paint the borders of the lights. I will get a dental techo friend of mine to make some solid acrylic lenses which are coloured, to fit into the recesses. I used the same method for my avonds F15 and they turned out well.

Jedi, the website for the lighting system is........http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-117/index.shtml

If you email Andy, he will list for you the contents of the complete kit for the F15....he was very helpful.

I will take some photos and post tomorrow...please bear in mind that it is a work in progress.

Shall we shift this to the assembly thread?

Craig.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Steve N.

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of becoming the happy owner of a Y/A F-15 ARF. Thank you all for your posts as I'm sure they will help tremendously when I get mine.

I need to make a decision on pwer. In that the F-15 already has a draggy airframe, and I will want to load it up with Missles and drop tanks (x3), will a 28 lb thrust be totally sufficient, or am I best going with added cost of 34 lb thrust? I want it to "fly like an F-15". Any experience/input is appreciated.

Bryce,
On your post #70, you have a pic of your ordinance. Is that an after-market package rather than Y/A??? If so,,,
- Knowing you, I assume it's scale. Are you happy with your choice
- Is it ARF or a kit and are modifications necessary to mount up on the Y/A
- Is it more cost effective than Y/A
- Where did you get it (website if you have it)

If anyone else has some input on ordinance/tanks, please feel free to jump in.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Craig,
sorry to not be around to answer your questions..but glad to hear your doing the lights, they came out awesome on mine and like you I cut out the scale location on the wing tips rudder fins and put them in the nose gear.the inboard lights on the wing were a bit more work but worth it! good luck on your build. Kevin
Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

How about some general install photos from those that have finished the build? I'm about 30% into my build and always looking for some good ideas to steal. Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 02:12 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Guys,

I've had a change in plans with my kit and it looks like i'll be selling mine. It's still new in the box untouched. If anyones intrested or has any questions, please PM or email me privetly. An ad will be posted shortly. Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Steve N.

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of becoming the happy owner of a Y/A F-15 ARF. Thank you all for your posts as I'm sure they will help tremendously when I get mine.

I need to make a decision on pwer. In that the F-15 already has a draggy airframe, and I will want to load it up with Missles and drop tanks (x3), will a 28 lb thrust be totally sufficient, or am I best going with added cost of 34 lb thrust? I want it to "fly like an F-15". Any experience/input is appreciated.

Bryce,
On your post #70, you have a pic of your ordinance. Is that an after-market package rather than Y/A??? If so,,,
- Knowing you, I assume it's scale. Are you happy with your choice
- Is it ARF or a kit and are modifications necessary to mount up on the Y/A
- Is it more cost effective than Y/A
- Where did you get it (website if you have it)

If anyone else has some input on ordinance/tanks, please feel free to jump in.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Nice to hear you'll be getting a Yellow F-15 ARF. All of my ordinance etc, was from Yellow with no modifications. If you just stick with the instructions/manufacters recomendations as far as power, servos....etc. You'll be fine. Everything goes together very nicely and is very light.......all in all, a very well thought out kit/jet. Enjoy the plane and always respect it.
I'll try to get some more pics on here of mine loaded up later when I get a chance.

Bryce

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45169.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	630894  
Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Bryce, are you bringing your F15 to FL Jets? Would love to see your set up. Thanks - Jim
Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Steve N.

Hi Bryce,

Thank you kindly for your help. I'll bet you $1.00 CDN that I may a Q or two before I'm through. Although, lots has already been address on this and the build thread. I appreciate everything you (and others) have posted so far.

That's a great night shot of your bird. The lights and afterburners look fantastic and go to prove that the extra effort was well worth it. I'm looking forward to your pics with her loaded up when you get the chance.

Thanks again,
Steve