Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mobil DTE 24 is good for turbine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mobil DTE 24 is good for turbine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Calil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil DTE 24 is good for turbine?

Hello guys

Would this oil Mobil DTE 24 (ISO 32) be ok to use with kero? Would it be safe usage like the DTE light?

Here in Brazil we don't have the DTE light only the DTE 24

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...DTE_Named.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...20_Series.aspx

Last edited by Calil; 09-09-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:32 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DTE 24 is a hydraulic oil, not a lubricating oil.. Mobil DTE Light is what you need.. (I have been using it for a long time now and had no problems.)

Roger

Last edited by roger.alli; 09-09-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Calil

I should know that!!! :/

I bought the DTE 832 Iso 32 and the guy sent me the DTE 24 telling it was the same. I won't use it, I'm going BP like my friend told me to few minutes ago.

Thanks Alli!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 AM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

DTE Light (ISO 32) is a Hydraulic Oil I am currently on my 4th 20Ltr drum been using it in all my Kingtech's.
Cheers
Mav
Old 09-10-2014, 12:48 AM
qxyfgelredal

DTE 24 is a hydraulic oil, not a lubricating oil
Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 AM
geonato

Hello Calil, here in Brazil oil dte light is called mobil turbine - 32

you find on the sakamoto talk to Marli need cnpj. tel: (11) 2149-4000

Last edited by geonato; 09-10-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:31 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is the data sheet for both
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTE SERIES MEDIUM LIGHT.pdf (78.2 KB, 476 views)
DTE 20 Series pds.pdf (13.1 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by RCISFUN; 09-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:12 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While Aussies may enjoy Mobil DTE success, failures reported here in the US, premature wear into bearing seat, resulted in damaged compressor, particularly that of the K-100G.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 PM
roger.alli

Hi Barry,

It is interesting that the K 100G should be having trouble attributable to the using Mobile DTE light. If this issue you are having does pan out to be attributed to the use of DTE light, it will be of concern to a large number of users.

DTE light use is certainly not just confined to Australia, I would suggest that it is pretty common, and successfully used wherever model turbines are operated. The evidence is here on RCU, on the many many threads covering the use of DTE light and where to purchase it..

I made the decision to switch to DTE light nearly 4 years ago, simply to replace oils with known carcinogens. (Plus it is cheaper and more readably available then aviation oils.) Before switching, I checked with my manufacturer, Jets Munts (Gasper Edsiel), and they recommend DTE light turbine oils as being suitable for their engines.

And Gaspers recommendation is good enough for me. I doubt that anyone else on the planet knows more about model turbine mechanics than Gasper..

At the end of the day, there are no oils manufactured specifically for use in model turbine engines. All the oil types we use are all borrowed from other applications, so no matter what type or brand you use, it was never intended to be mixed with kerosene, or diesel, then injected at mix rat of 5% through a though a total loss system, to two miniature ceramic bearings, (one at very hi temperature ), running shaft speeds of 160K+ rpm !!

Actually it is amazing these things survive at all..
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Barry
As you know I have been using DTE in my turbines since I got my first K80 back in 2009 with a mix of 50/50 Kero-diesel when I sent it in for a service a couple of months ago it had over 85Hrs on it my 140 has been back a couple of times and it is on its way to 50 Hrs ,the 100 and 170 are yet to go back to the factory Wen-Fu has never said that there has been any problems other than me wearing out my compressor wheels (from the sand)LOL.
Cheers
Mav

Last edited by mavrick; 09-10-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 AM
philjac94

Mobil 24, DTE24 and DTE Light, 832 and DTE32 are almost identical oils. Composition is the same with only viscosities giving the differences and this is so slight that it will not be felt.
I would have no hesitation in using any of the above mentioned oils but as I have said before make sure you remove any traces of Aviation Synthetic Oil, not doing so can lead to damage if they mix and left to sit.
Both these series of oil have a flash point a fair bit lower than Aviation Oil (MJ2) but so long as your engine doesnt suffer from inherently high bearing temperatures then these oils will be ok.
Also any of these oils should be mixed towards the higher range we use 3-5%.
Attached are MSDS for each.
One other thing, if it burns or atomizes it doesnt belong in your lungs, dont be fooled into thinking that because you are using DTE it is OK to breathe, its safer than MJ2 but still I wouldnt.
Attached Files
MSDS MOBIL DTE 24 US.pdf (48.9 KB, 30 views)
Mobil Jet Oil II.pdf (46.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:10 AM
josecilurzo

I have JETCATs, i use fuel and oils recomended by factory, if Barry doesn't recommends any oil or fuel, his factory did many tests, before issuing an newsletter on owner manual, i believe that KINGTECH is an serious factory, i follow the factory instructions, they know what they say.
points to Barry and KT!!!

Jose
Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Been using TCW3 compliant marine oil for about a year now. Havent flown much, but my engines seem to like it. Had my P80SE sitting for a while, and it fired up on first attempt as usual.

Note, though I dont have much experience with TCW3, Europeans do. Why aren't more people simpliying their lives using it beats me!
I use Quicksliver Premium Plus, available almost everywhere. You only buy what you need ($5/qt).

Ive also started using Diesel too. Im done with Kero and Turbine Oil.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:28 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Last edited by FalconWings; 09-11-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Double post!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by philjac94
Mobil 24, DTE24 and DTE Light, 832 and DTE32 are almost identical oils. Composition is the same with only viscosities giving the differences and this is so slight that it will not be felt.
One other thing, if it burns or atomizes it doesnt belong in your lungs, dont be fooled into thinking that because you are using DTE it is OK to breathe, its safer than MJ2 but still I wouldnt.
That is interesting Phil.. I made my statement in post #2 because the Mobil spec sheet for DTE 24 states that is is hydraulic oil, not a lubricating oil, where as DTE light is described as a lubricating oil... I guess that Mobil uses similar recipes to manufacture both oils. Apologies to the OP if I gave out the wrong info here..

Roger
Old 09-12-2014, 05:27 AM
philjac94

Originally Posted by roger.alli
That is interesting Phil.. I made my statement in post #2 because the Mobil spec sheet for DTE 24 states that is is hydraulic oil, not a lubricating oil, where as DTE light is described as a lubricating oil... I guess that Mobil uses similar recipes to manufacture both oils. Apologies to the OP if I gave out the wrong info here..

Roger
Hey Roger
I think you are right and find that most manufacturers will label similar oils to suit different applications, Shell T32 (Turbine 32) is an Industrial Turbine Oil and then they have a Tellus 32 for use in Hydraulic applications. Like the Mobil products the Shell products are also the same base stock with differing viscosities. Viscosity is achieved by either blending lighter or heavier base stock oil to suit a particular specification. It can also be done during the refining process, slightly adjusting the distillation regime.
I have used so much of all these mentioned oils over the years in all my turbines, that I haven't seen any problems to make me stop using them. But again remember, all these oils are mineral based and do not like to be mixed with any synthetic oil. Keep the two separate and their wont be an issue.
I have one VT80 with over 105hrs of running on its original bearings using these oils. The engine is used to test alternate fuels at Monash University and although its run in lab conditions these oils have served the engine well. It is coming in next week for a service as the fuel pump is the only thing showing sign of wear.

Phil