Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maverick opinions DF or turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maverick opinions DF or turbine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:19 PM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maverick opinions DF or turbine

Just got a beautiful BVM Maverick, I intend to fly it just not sure how to power it. I have a Ram 750 that I would like to convert it to, or I also have the bv 91. Looking for opinions on if its worth converting or do you think its better just to fly it DF and get another plane for the Ram?

Also anyone that has had a maverick, the side fuel tank, missle deals, what ever they are, they effectively blank out about 3" of wing area on the tips. Does this have any noticeable effect on flight behavior? Seems like 6" of lifting surface might be a big deal.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 PM
r degen

Default RE: Maverick opinions DF or turbine

ecoliburger

I have a BVM 91 in mine The wing tip tanks will knock about 10mph off the speed but they do make it show up a lot better
in the air. I Have never noticed that much differance in the way it flies, with the tanks on or off. I fly it off of grass field. Randy
Old 08-30-2006, 06:12 PM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Ecoliburger":

Fly it ducted fan, and only after taking the sense on it and testing the airframe integrity (most important if you are not the builder!), convert to turbine if you wish.

I, in fact, have a second hand never flown before Maverick ducted fan model, flying it just from last year and had the same doubts (I intended fitting a Jet Cat P-60) but, unfortunately, mine is not bulit safe enough for turbine power, so I will keep it as a ducted fan jet trainer model and will use the turbine on any other model built by myself.

Regarding tip tanks, I totally agree with previous post: they help a lot for visibility and sure you will not notice any speed reduction as the Maverick is really a bullet (a safe one, but a bullet!).

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39963.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	516222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36974.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	516223  
Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The RAM750 is too big and heavy for a Maverick. It has been done, but a 12-14# turbine is better suited for this airframe. The biggest issue is finding adequate space for enough fuel. Custom Kevlar tanks are available for the conversion that hold 60 oz. Some have used Bandit tanks that hold 2L (about 64 oz.).

My Maverick flew well with a BVM 91 DF. After it crashed I started rebuilding it with a new fuse. In the meantime I found a good deal on an Artes Bee, so I decided to turbinize it. Since the tip tanks were damaged I decided not to fix them and added wing tips like the Maverick Pro has. I am also adding a Bandit type speed brake to the bottom of the fuse to help slow it down for landings.

Not sure when I'll be done, making slow progress.

Joe
Old 09-01-2006, 10:04 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a turbine Mav on a Simjet 1200. It flies very well. A great sport jet.
With the Bandit tanks you are looking at 7~9 minute flights with fuel to spare.
You can see it in my gallery.

David
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

What kind of speed could I expect out of the Maverick pro with an Artes Bee or P-60? Is it around 200?

With a Simjet 1200....how much fuel are you carrying?

Thanks!

Tumbler
Old 05-14-2007, 05:06 PM
FalconWings

Tumbler, with th 12 lb Simjet 1200 I was getting aorund 160 mph on a cool day. It wasn't ultra fast, but fast enough to be a great turbne trainer.
I was carrying 60 oz of fuel + a 6ox UAT. You will need to use either Bandit inlets or Jet Tech inlets to be able to fit these tanks in it. The stock DF inlet will not work!!

The person who did the set-up on my Mav also added some BVM plastic LE droops that helped a lot!! specially during final. It's almost like having training wheels.

David
Old 05-14-2007, 05:12 PM
TUMBLER

David,

Thanks for the response. I thought the Simjet 1200 had 18lbs of thrust. This must me a newer verions I guess. http://s43500.sites99.storefront-hos...j1200SP02.aspx.

I want soemthing faster than 160. The Kangaroo I have now, is already faster than that, so I want something at least as fast. Do you think its possible to get a p-70 to work in the airframe and get enough fuel?

Thanks!

Tumbler
Old 05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
FalconWings

I frankly don't know, the P-70 does like fuel a lot. I would assume if you keep it light, a P-60 should be great!!

I'm just not sure if the Mav is a 200mph turbine airframe. I have a friend who has a BVM Viper on a Wren Supersport, it is deffintely faster than mine but not sure if it can reach 200 either.

Just out of curiosity, why such a desire for speed? You can't do much at 200. [8D]

My Simjet is an original one, and still going strong. You must be talking about the Simjet 1200 AES. I wanted one a long time ago, but a lot of people advised me to do away with that idea because the engine had too many development problems.

David
Old 05-14-2007, 06:03 PM
TUMBLER

The Artes Bee puts out 14lbs and the P-60 puts out 13, so if I go with a smaller engine I guess I'd go with the Bee.

What do you mean you can't do much at 200. My kangaroo is close to 200. i like doing slow rolls, knife edge, and point rolls down the length ont the field at that speed. plus nothing beats a foot high worm burner! After getting used to that speed it would be hard to go back. It doesn't even seem fast anymore.

Tumbler

Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Maverick Pro was advertised to do 160 mph with a BVM 91 DF, so I would expect at least that regardless of which turbine you put in it. My Maverick is built, primered, and wet sanded. I'm waiting for the right weather to paint it outside. Hopefully I'll be flying it within a month.

Power will be with an Artes Bee (original 12# version). I'm expecting about 170 mph. I'll post the results of the maiden flight. If I'm not happy with the performance I'll send the engine to Jet Central to be updated to a Super Bee (14#). If you want to push the performance envelope I suggest a Wren Super Sport (18.5#).

Joe
Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

The Artes Bee puts out 14lbs and the P-60 puts out 13, so if I go with a smaller engine I guess I'd go with the Bee.

What do you mean you can't do much at 200. My kangaroo is close to 200. i like doing slow rolls, knife edge, and point rolls down the length ont the field at that speed. plus nothing beats a foot high worm burner! After getting used to that speed it would be hard to go back. It doesn't even seem fast anymore.

Tumbler

Slow rolls look better slow!! It is easy doing point rolls or slow rolls at 200, no fun in that, try it at 80 mph without loosing one inch of altitude.!!

Now if you want fast, let me recommend a JMP Firebird on a P-180 or an AMT Olympus. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]