Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DCX 61

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DCX 61

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCX 61

I am a new user of PPG products and so far the results using Redman's and Jeremy's tutorials have been excellent....just getting ready to sand and buff the clear coat.....but I have lots of DCX 61 left in the 8 oz can.....

I know it's been posted before, but I can't find the specific thread.....what is the concensus regarding shelf life of PPG DCX 61 hardener......the can says use in 2 weeks after opening......any problems using it after that date.....can it be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or should it be cooled in a fridge like aeropoxy.....

Thanks for any help....

Tom
Old 09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DCX 61

Tom, I have used dcx 61 hardener a year later without any problems . I think that moisture and temperature are the enemies of that hardener. I just kept on the shelf in the basement where its cool.
Don
Old 09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Tom,

I just called PPG tech support, the statement is as follows:
"Once the seal is broken, 14 days useable......period"
Storing at cooler temps will not retard shelf life.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I've used the stuff months after the first open. You'll know when it goes bad. It turns to a big blob of rubber. Just keep it sealed well.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I keep mine in my little shop refrigerator at the advise of a body shop owner who only uses PPG stuff. I used it at least a year after opening it. 6 months later when I tried to use it again, it had gone bad.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Tom,
where can I find the Redman and Jeremy tutorials. I have aquired a few cans of PPG paint and hardener, also some clear.

Joe !~)

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

I am a new user of PPG products and so far the results using Redman's and Jeremy's tutorials have been excellent....just getting ready to sand and buff the clear coat.....but I have lots of DCX 61 left in the 8 oz can.....

I know it's been posted before, but I can't find the specific thread.....what is the concensus regarding shelf life of PPG DCX 61 hardener......the can says use in 2 weeks after opening......any problems using it after that date.....can it be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or should it be cooled in a fridge like aeropoxy.....

Thanks for any help....

Tom
Old 09-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Tom Antlfinger

Joe:

Redman's tutorial is on the Tips section of Todd Witkoff's Dreamworksrc.com site.......

I have lost the link to Jeremy's tutorial on RCU....maybe he or someone else who has it bookmarked will chime in......

Actually John's site covers most everything, but Jeremy has allot of info on gun selection, pressure settings, etc. plus many tips from start to finish as well.....

My recent job was to add some Hi-Viz fluorescent paint to the wing and boom tips on my white/green-tipped Kingcat....sometimes hard to stay oriented on cloudy, misty days with mostly white on the bird........

I sanded off the old green PPG down to the gelcoat, then reprimed with cheap Plasticote White Primer, then 3 light coats of Ultra Flourescent Plasticote Red, then cleared with 2021.....sprayed with my old HVLP unit with a Lexair gun....today I will sand with 1500 wet followed with the mild 3M cutting cream and polish John recommends.....I did not reclear the whole wing, so I have a little ridge at the new paint line, but most of it should sand out.....

Tom

Just found it......

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_745346/mpage_1/key_Jeremy%2Cferguson/tm.htm[/link]
Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks Tom, I got the DWRC link the other day to Redmans tutorial. The Jermey is ok but all the pictures are gone. !~(. That is very interesting that you are using the krylon plasitkote sprays and then auto clear. They come is great colors too. Can you show a picture of your work please? What are you using to mask with?

Joe
Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Tom Antlfinger

Hi Joe:

Master RC builder and painter, Geronimo Vidales in Scottsdale notes that whenever you use a rattle can base coat, never do a wet PPG clear coat right on top of the base.....first mist on 2-3 coats very dry, let thoroughly dry between coats, before flowing on the wet coat....that's what I did with the PPG and it worked like a charm....zero bubbles or wrinkles.....also make sure the base coat is thoroughly dry...I let mine bake in the sun for 6 hours before I applied the clear coats....

Geronimo also notes that DCX-61 can be kept alive a long time, if, when you first open the 8 oz can, you immediately dispense it into multiple small air tight glass containers, using a double seal of saran wrap.....just like the old HobbyPoxy catalyst, it's moisture and high temps/humidity that drastically shorten the useful life....

I use the 3M Scotch Blue Plastic tape #471 that John Redman recommends(Not the 3M Blue Painter's tape which is used to cover woodwork when painting your interior walls) I use 1/8" and 1/4" for curves and 1/2" for straight lines.....

For safety, I wear a full disposable jump suit with a face mask and hood.....my Citation HVLP compressor has an outlet for the gun and a second compressor outlet for the positive pressure to the face mask, both with 40 foot hoses......now that I am getting back into painting, I think I will build a removable paint booth similar to what Todd has on his website, using PVC and Visqueen.....

Tom