Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is the cheapest turbine out there?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What is the cheapest turbine out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 02:58 AM
heli3d
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the cheapest turbine out there?

Looking to buy a turbine kit or complete. Who has the cheapest?
Old 02-05-2002, 03:21 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Probably the Wren 54. A friend of mine just built one, and while he had to do some fiddling, he says it's now running well. Looks like a fun thing to do to learn more about these things
Old 02-05-2002, 03:25 AM
Gsmurf1203

Cheapest turbine??? By far the one i fly in my dreams every night. Just gotta try harder and maybe it'll materialize right??? Hey, and why do i never have a flame-out this way???
Old 02-06-2002, 05:18 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Least expensive turbine.

heli3d,
I won't say that my choice is the cheapest, but it is the least expensive, full featured, fully warranteed turbine on the market.
RAM 500R (remote start)
Complete, everything you need to make turbine noises, full warantee, 12 lbs thrust, $2195.00 USD complete. Made in the USA. (Miami Fl)
www.ramicrojets.com

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP
Buy American!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 05:35 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

probably simjet 700, isnt it around $1700? for a ready built one. not very big though
Old 02-06-2002, 06:51 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default mini turbine

Who has the cheapest?
The Simjet 700 isn't on the market yet. We'll see if they can hit their target price of $1700.00 (no remote start)

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP
Buy American!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 01:04 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Harley,

What exactly are turbine noises?????
Old 02-06-2002, 04:16 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

John, Harley...

The SimJet 700 should be priced in the 1400.00-1500.00 range and although it wont be a full autostart it will not require air to start it. It's starting method will be a electric starter on a wand, very simple and keeps the onboard package light.
Simjet also offers turbines in kit form that only requires assembly, no machining or balancing required thus offering the modeler a substantial savings for the same high quality motors. See the website at www.simjet.com for more details and pricing on the "kit" motors.

Heli3d,
There are plenty of turbine kits/complete on the maket but be prepared to spend 1250 to 1400 minimum for a quality, relaible, COMPLETE (ie: includes ECU) product.

Research the web for the following sites, lots of good info there:
Wren
Simjet
Jetcat
Ram
AMT

They all have great products to offer in many thrust catagories. I also suggest you try and attend a few jet meets, this usally is the best way to research what turbine you will want to spend your hard earned dollars on.

Regards,
Todd Witkoff
Old 02-06-2002, 04:28 PM
DennisF

Default cheapest turbine offered

The least expensive turbine engine 54 offered @ $1095 engine only check JDEnterprise.net
Old 02-06-2002, 05:03 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engines

Do check out Simjet's site for prices and feature details. The Simjet 1200's size and weight are similar to the Ram 500, but the performance (and reliability) makes slightly bigger smiles.

The Simjet 1200's transition from idle to full throttle is astonishingly fast, yet smooth as well. In flight tests, the engine could not be caused to flame out with sudden idle-to-full-kick throttle changes (and vice-versa). This particular test was done on a Yellow Aircraft Starfire. The airplane was originally built for a Ram 1000. The airplane is very heavy for Starfires at 16-3/4 pounds dry. The takeoff weight is almost 21 pounds. The takeoff roll was 110' with a relatively steep climbout. The inlets on the Starfire are huge, so there was some concern as to whether or not there might be too much airflow at high speeds when the engine was idling. With the aircraft at about 1500' altitude, the nose was pushed over about 10 degrees, and the engine advanced to full throttle. Once the airplane was moving about as fast as I thought was safe, the engine was suddenly cut back to idle. The airplane was silent (save for the very cool sound of the airframe cutting through the air at 200 m.p.h.), so we set up for a deadstick approach. Once level, we advanced the throttle again and it spooled right back up. This was but one of many reliability-based tests. By the way, you would never have thought that the airplane was being powered by such a small engine. It flew very fast and had impressive vertical. Even on such a heavy bird.

The engine produces about 13 pounds of thrust, nearly two pounds more than the Ram 500. Also, the Simjet is available in full auto-start OR air start for those not interested in the full auto-start feature. The air start version is a few hundred dollars less expensive and lighter, too.

Thankfully, Simjet has conducted extensive testing and made the necessary design changes and modifications prior to shipping the engine to the customer. This should help minimize the 'send-back syndrome' that some have had to go through with other engines. Look for Simjet at upcoming events and you'll be impressed. Also, Simjet engines are available in combo deals with Yellow Aircraft kits with considerable savings to the customer. Email me for details on that.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:48 PM
JohnVH

I realize it costs more but since you brought it up, Ihave a jetcat P80, and have been trying to make it flameout too, full throttle to idle as fast as possible, and idle to full and back, not one yet.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:33 PM
DavidR

But John......are you flying it yet? There is a big difference they don't hardly ever flameout on a bench.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:50 PM
heli3d

Does Simjet have a website so I can look at them? Thanks for all your input!
Old 02-06-2002, 06:52 PM
heli3d

Whooops! Just saw the website address in a message above!
Old 02-06-2002, 07:55 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Default Slightly Bigger Smiles

Hi Shaun. When I'm flying my Sabre with the 500, I'm not sure my smile could get any bigger!! The reliability and performance has been outstanding! Actually, I am looking forward to seeing the 1200 in action. I really am a big fan of the 12 lb. class turbine. Will you be able to make the El Mirage jet-together on the 3rd of March? Hopefully so. See ya.

Spencer Maze
CRCJA
Old 02-06-2002, 09:51 PM
DennisF

Default Turbine

I would just like to point out that all the turbine's of the 54 size are basically the same design based on Mike Murphys orignal engine they mostly have some cosmetic changes and internal changes have been done for manufacturing simpliesty.
Also to date Mike has tried to improve on his design and has not found anything making the design work or run better.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:09 PM
heli3d

Who is Mike Murphy? What is his engine?
Old 02-06-2002, 10:41 PM
cairoman

Mike Murphy is the co-designer and creator of the MW-54, the engine on which the RAM500 and the Simjet1200 are based on.

If you want to find out more on Wren (his company), check their website at:
http://www.wren-turbines.com

BRG
Chris
Old 02-07-2002, 12:48 AM
JohnVH

Originally posted by DavidR
But John......are you flying it yet? There is a big difference they don't hardly ever flameout on a bench.
no I have not yet. someday
Old 02-07-2002, 01:33 AM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

i think the Sophias are the cheapest ones, arent they ?

Johnny
Old 02-07-2002, 03:12 AM
Jackjet

If you get a Sophia-I hope that you have better luck with yours than I did...............I am sure it was a good engine in its day-but mine would never run right.........

Jackjet
Old 02-07-2002, 03:16 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Flameouts

Regarding the JetCat, John may not be flying his but I am flying mine. I do every manuever in the book and slam the throttle all over the place and the JetCat takes it all in stride. I've got 50 runs and 24 flights and the engine has been flawless, more reliable, consistent and easier to operate than any gas or glow engine I've ever owned. Matt Carroll and Torrey Ward have well over 400 flights on their JetCats without a single problem, and they fly the heck out of their airplanes performing manuevers many jet flyers only dream of. At Superman 13 Matt and his JetCat buddies ran 80 gallons of kerosene through their JetCats with over 200 flights and never had a problem, now that's reliability! Rumor was actually going around that their engines were specially prepped; nope, they were perfectly stock just like mine. This is not to say that other turbines aren't as good, just that JetCats have proven themselves to be of exceptional reliability.

Heli3d, I can fully appreciate that money may be a bit tight and you are looking to save a buck, I've been there, believe me. If I may let me just say that you are better off waiting and saving your money rather than going with something possibly sub-standard just to save a few bucks. In the long run you may wind up spending more after the flameouts, failures and whatever else you may experience with an older, obsolete or used turbine of dubious pedigree. Just round up all those prop planes and engines (you won't want to fly them anyway once you start with turbines) and sell 'em off. Before you know it you'll have enough for a new, state of the art engine.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:42 AM
heli3d

I have an opportunity to get a Sophia 450 that is in imaculate condition and runs great with ecu for $750. What do you think?
Old 02-07-2002, 04:01 AM
DavidR

Dustflyer,

You missed my point.....it does not matter what brand turbine you are flying.... 10 runs on a bench don't tell any of us that it is a first class engine, nor do 50 total flights...... that's a good weekend of flying at an event. Now the guy that has 300 flights on his engine, that's the guy I want to talk to!

BTW it is only a matter of time with ANY engine until you have a flameout.

Just being the devils advocate here, I am not criticising any brand of engine.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:20 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

David R,

Your point is well taken and you are right, I don't have that many runs on my turbine. I DO know of guys who have HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of runs on JetCats with no problems whatsoever. I talked to lots of non-reps and quickly learned of the legendary reliability of JetCat and that's why I went with it. I'm glad I did. Not to say I won't have a flameout, but in all honesty any flameout I've ever heard about with a JetCat has been the result of some kind of operator error like forgetting to put oil in the fuel. There was also an overspeed situation that occurred once due to a sensor problem that caused a bearing failure but only because the rpms exceeded the rated maximum of the bearings. It turned out to be an easy fix.

My intention is not to criticize other engines, we've all got to stick together and support one another, right? If you've got a good reliable turbine then you definitely want to stick with it. Regardless of what you run; RAM, AMT, Simjet, whatever the main thing is to support one another, stick together, enjoy the comraderie, keep a low profile and enjoy this fantastic hobby of miniature jet aviation!

heli3d,

I know where you are coming from, you want to get in the game and bucks are tight. If all you can afford is that Sophia then what the heck, maybe you should jump in. Before you do though, do you think you will be able to get rid of it when you want to move on? How long do you think it will take to save the money for a more modern turbine? I would say if you could have the money within a year or so then what's the hurry? I think you would be well advised to go with a more modern power plant.

What do some of you more experienced guys have to say?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.