Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TAM or Skymaster F-16?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TAM or Skymaster F-16?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:55 PM
xurifle06
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAM or Skymaster F-16?

Just curious on what your opions were on both of these models. Is there an advantage having the turbine in the tail like the skymaster? Also i know the skymaster is tailerons but what does new tam composite f-16 have for controls (couldnt seem to find it on their website)? Both seem to be similar in price. thanks for the help

Rich
Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: TAM or Skymaster F-16?

ORIGINAL: xurifle06

Just curious on what your opions were on both of these models. Is there an advantage having the turbine in the tail like the skymaster? Also i know the skymaster is tailerons but what does new tam composite f-16 have for controls (couldnt seem to find it on their website)? Both seem to be similar in price. thanks for the help

Rich

The Skymaster f-16 is actually available NOW. Also, the skymaster F-16 has full controlls including ailerons !.. it is all composite, very light and very strong. I have seen several of these in person, both on the ground and flying. By far the SM f-16 is the best flying 16 i have seen thus far. The install of the engine in the tail allows for a lighter set up, and more efficient use of the engine thrust as there is no need for a tail exhaust pipe. If you add up all the needed options and accessories, comparing apples to apples, both F-16s cost about the same ...

Voy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59100.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	529359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50118.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	529360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66470.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	529361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh12974.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	529362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43076.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	529363  
Old 09-24-2006, 05:07 PM
AirPac Models

Rich.

The Skymaster F-16 (1/8) is including ailerons. The turbine can be set both way, in the tail without tail pipe or in ordinary location in the central of fuselage. The plnae is in stock NOW.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So to read between the lines. One is Available and the other is not out yet, but yet one flies better than the other even thought no one has it?

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: wojtek

The Skymaster f-16 is actually available NOW. Also, the skymaster F-16 has full controlls including ailerons !.. it is all composite, very light and very strong. I have seen several of these in person, both on the ground and flying. By far the SM f-16 is the best flying 16 i have seen thus far. The install of the engine in the tail allows for a lighter set up, and more efficient use of the engine thrust as there is no need for a tail exhaust pipe. If you add up all the needed options and accessories, comparing apples to apples, both F-16s cost about the same ...

Voy
Old 09-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

The TamJet kit will be shipping in 30 day's, the detailed instruction manual is being completed as we speak. In the past year that we have been testing this model, we have tested with both ailerons and tailerons. The taileron version fly's every bit as good, so we decided to keep the plane as light as possible by eliminating the aileron servos, and lowering the all up cost for you to complete the kit. Keeping the new turbine flyer in mind, we originally designed this model to be very simple to assemble and extremely easy to fly. When all was said and done, and the flight perameters were stamped as exceptional, we took some extra time to make this plane very scale as well. The scale gear doors, along with the panel lines and raised hatches, put the finishing touches on a fantastic turbine trainer. We had the final prototype at the Tuscon Jet Rally earlier this year, and Kenny Falconer and I handed the box to no less the 30 differant pilots. None of the pilots, begginer or experienced, even knew that the plane did not have ailerons. This is nothing new, the Aviation Design F-16 is by far the best flying P-120 size F-16 on the market and has been for some time.........using only tailerons. As far as me telling you that this is the best flying F-16 in the world? Not having flown the others, I cannot tell you that. However, even if I do get the chance to fly another manufacturer's F-16, I still wont be able to comment, I dont think that would be fair to anyone asking the question........seeing that my opinion is somewhat biased. If you would like any other information or have any questions on the TamJets aircraft, please feel free to call me on my cell phone at any time, 831-207-9539.
The best advise you can get will have to be from someone who is not associated with either company, and who has actually flown both planes. Good luck to you with whatever kit you choose.
This aircraft will be at Superman Jet Rally, if you are attending please come see me. If you are unable to go, and if you have a friend who will be there, send them our way and we can answer whatever questions you have.
Happy Landings,
Dave
Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

I just got a Skymaster TB F-16 last week.
It's bigger than I had thought, about the size of the old Byron ones. Shape looks right.
It is really nice , the moldings are crisps and light and the fit of the parts are excellent. The wing hinging system is brilliant but I might just glue them and use tailerons only....what a shame!
It will depend on which turbine I put in PST 600R or AMT mercury HP, what's your opinion on that?
It seems to be ok with the 14lbs turbines (from the videos) but I like unlimited verticals....[>:]
Also on note, the gear doors are already hinged, using flex material, the build won't take long , I'm just waiting for the gear now.

I'm sure all F-16 fly as good as the others, even Jet Legend is showing one on their web site! Lightness is the key for easy flight characteristics and the SM one is really light...complete bare airframe with all screws is just short of 4kgs which should give a 7 kgs (15.5lbs)dry weight with the PST and tailerons only.
I'll report how it goes together.

Cheers
Florent

Name:	Hf10379.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	529986  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Stig Andersen

ORIGINAL: Rider-60

It's bigger than I had thought, about the size of the old Byron ones. Shape looks right.
It is really nice , the moldings are crisps and light and the fit of the parts are excellent. The wing hinging system is brilliant but I might just glue them and use tailerons only....what a shame!
It will depend on which turbine I put in PST 600R or AMT mercury HP, what's your opinion on that?
It seems to be ok with the 14lbs turbines (from the videos) but I like unlimited verticals....[>:]
Also on note, the gear doors are already hinged, using flex material, the build won't take long , I'm just waiting for the gear now.

I'm sure all F-16 fies as good as the others, even Jet Legend is showing one on their web site!

Cheers
Florent
I second that.

I got my SM F-16 at the Jetpower Fair i Germany. I am really pleased with the improvent i quality. It is very light and strong. No seam lines visable. It even has a complete building instruction and a CD with video and pictures. Skymaster has really taken a step UP

Name:	Hf98081.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	529994  
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rider-60

No doubt the Skymaster / Airpac guys are your best bet to check this with, but I think your engine choice may to some extent be goverened by which engine position you are intending to use (mid-mount, or tail-mount) ?

I haven't weighed a PST, but my guess based on how heavily my AMT is built, is that the AMT weighs a fair bit more than the PST. If you are considering tail-mounting the AMT, it's possible that you may not find it easy to get the right CG with the heavier engine. I also don't recall whether the SM F16's engine mount position is determined by the kit you purchase, or whether you can arbitrarily switch any given kit from mid-mount to tail mount. So, if you are planning to tail mount, then before you lay out any money on an engine (unless you have them both already), you should probably talk to Eric, Duke et al about your options.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Gordon,
Sure it supposed PST in the tail or AMT conventionnal mounting in the middle with the pipe. there's about one kilo between both planned installations.
I would build it as light as possible for the PST, tailerons, no rudder, or all out with the AMT to be able tu use falperons on landings to compensate for the extra kilo.
PST/ 6.5kg thrust -7.1 dry
AMT 9 kg - 8 dry

Florent
Old 09-25-2006, 05:49 PM
xurifle06
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks for all help everyone. I didnt mean to start a skymaster vs. tam war. Seems like the new Skymasters are great. Im sure the new Tamjets will be too as ive heard nothing but great comments about tam. ah decisions decisions...

Rich
Old 09-25-2006, 06:02 PM
AirPac Models

Gordon,

The Skymaster F-16 (1/8), the airplane comes with a kit so you are able to decide if you want to put the engine in the tail or in the convention location of the center fuselage. You do not have to specify when purchasing the plane.

Due to the weight limit we found out that only JetCat P-60 or Artes Bee will be light enough for you to set up the engine in the tail cone. We recommend other engines but only for the convention location. Of course if you don't mind you could still put it in the tail cone but you must add a lot weight in the nose to balance the CG.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for all help everyone. I didnt mean to start a skymaster vs. tam war. Seems like the new Skymasters are great. Im sure the new Tamjets will be too as ive heard nothing but great comments about tam. ah decisions decisions...
It is a credit to both manufacturers that they have enriched the market place with so many choices. When you really start looking around it does not go unnoticed that a couple of manufacturers have made very little changes to their lineup in the past 10 years. Healthy competiton spurs innovation and new products.....
Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Shaun Evans

On the advert on RCU, the SM F-16 is billed as having ailerons AND flaps? Is this so?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Shaun,

I hope not..... that's just wrong!
That's like seeing a real hot chick fart..
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
wojtek

just ailerons on the ones i have seen .. they can be dropped as flaps, but not needed from what i have seen of these fly .. If I did not already have 2 Bobcats, i'd be getting one of these small SM F-16 .. really sweet planes ...

Voy
Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Don't forget the Cermark(ex-tam) F-16. Really nice, really light, really cheap, and available now.
The Skymaster one is nicer is some ways, certainly more detailed. Definitely looks stronger, with all-composite construction, but unless you were stuffing in some oversize engine, should not be an issue.
How much does the SM one cost?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:30 PM
wojtek

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

Don't forget the Cermark(ex-tam) F-16. Really nice, really light, really cheap, and available now.
The Skymaster one is nicer is some ways, certainly more detailed. Definitely looks stronger, with all-composite construction, but unless you were stuffing in some oversize engine, should not be an issue.
How much does the SM one cost?

not sure on the cost .. but the SM one has pre hinged doors, composite wings, pre hinged ailerons, composite wing, and i would say more scale ... if someone is cutting corners the Cermark one is great i hear .. but spending a few extra $ us usually more worth it if you want somehitng nice ....

Voy
Old 09-27-2006, 09:36 PM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Anyone know if either of these F16's have been flown from grass? I would love to have one but i fly primarily from grass and was just curious if they would get out of the grass or not? We have a pretty decent grass field but it is definitely not pavement!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

The Skymaster one is $1175 plus $700 for the LG(hydraulic struts and Jettronic brake valve included, though) plus $200 for the tanks and tailpipe and $30 for the hardware. $200 more for the very cool paint schemes. $2100.
The Cermark one is $695 for the airplane with tanks and hardware, $495 for the gear/struts/brakes complete, and $99 for the pipe. $1300.
At nearly double the price, it SHOULD be nicer!
The Skymaster one is MUCH more scale, plus it has provision for gear doors. The Cermark one is very nice, very light, a very good deal, but very much a sport scale plane.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:51 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

cer/tam flies fine off any surface. only weighs #15 1/4 ready to fly w/13lb eng
Old 09-28-2006, 07:23 AM
wojtek

I wish all the manufacturers would start using the hydraulic oil over air struts ! Every landing i have seen in these, even bad ones the plane will not bounce where with other struts it would .. the hydraulic system really eats up the shock without a hard rebound ...

Voy
Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Shaun Evans

I'm getting a Skymaster F-16!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Shaun,

Come on dude, your landings are'nt THAT BAD
Old 09-28-2006, 07:31 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I like the one with the ailerons better. Are the doors hinged too? I'd be concerned about the SM wheels and breaks until I saw them work and not come off. 6 pack of tiger meets please!
Hydraulic struts? Wow! Do they even leak oil? !~)

joe
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Shaun Evans

Hey!

Watch it, buster.....

My landings are squeaky, greasy, soft as can be..... so don't believe the hype!

I bet you wish I'd have landed that F-18 single of yours at San Jose jets!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.