Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bandit Standard or Swept Fin?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bandit Standard or Swept Fin?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bandit Standard or Swept Fin?

I have a bandit ARF on order and I would like to hear from bandit owners their preference of fin. I like precision jet aerobatics and wonder which vertical fin will be the truest flying. I ordered scheme #2 and am getting pretty excited. !~)

Joe
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
slick121985
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Bandit Standard or Swept Fin?

Mine's swept, just looks better. The Std. fin does have slightly more surface area though enjoy!!!

Greg
Old 10-09-2006, 09:13 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standrd fin is what you are looking for if you are talking precision type flying. It holds much better in the points.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I asked about this as well when I bought my Super Bandit, I wanted the truest flying bird I could, but I did not like the look of the straight fin. The answers were basically split down the middle. Half said that the straight fin was better for knife edge, and the other half said there was a little roll coupling with either fin so it really didn't matter much, I figured for what the slight difference might be I'd go with the swept as I think it looks way better since the stab and wing are swept. Any roll coupling can be mixed out so I'd say go with the one you like the looks of. The nice part with the remove-able fin is that you can buy one of each and swap them to suit your mood
Old 10-09-2006, 10:33 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks you guys!~).
John, I see in the photos that both Dave S. and Bob V. use the straight. Thanks for the advisory. Hope to see you out this way again soon.

I got to agree with LGM, I like the swept look but I can see that its surface is on an angle and will not provide a perfect push on knife edge. I agree with mixing but I would like to start with the best mechanical setup I can get before resorting to it. One of each, hahha! I'm gonna hit the ground when I see the CC bill already!

Any more input?

Joe
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Get both vertical stabilizers and see which one you like best.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Geoff White

Hi,

When I built my super bandit I built both straight and swept fin as I wanted to see if I could tell the difference and do some back to back comparison. I found that compared to the swept fin the precision is slightly better with the straight fin as there is less roll couple. Also to get the reponse the same same as the swept fin I had to increase the expo.

Since the testing I have not flown with the straight fin as with a litte time sent trimming the plane the swept fin works just as well as in addition. in my opinion, straight fin looks odd!

Geoff.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Big Tony

Swept swept swept.

Ant