Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly with three tanks with a Kingtech K170 and I don't fly at full throttle and I do a 6min flight and 1/4 of the tank left

Damo
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
icepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a picture of the main tank beside one of the side tanks?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:11 AM
Damo260

Will do when I set it up tomorrow for jet event

Damo
Old 07-31-2014, 04:19 AM
icepilot

Thanks, Damo - but I was thinking of Stevens large main tank. BTW: I had a Jetcat P-180 in my last F-16 and flew with all three tanks,
my longest flight was about 14 minutes with throttle management as I had to wait for a full size glider that had to come in for a sudden
landing. With the Behotec 220 and all three tanks full I usually have 10 minutes from start-up (without a taxi tank) to shut-down. I fly
very scale and rarely fly at full throttle.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by icepilot
Thanks, Damo - but I was thinking of Stevens large main tank. BTW: I had a Jetcat P-180 in my last F-16 and flew with all three tanks,
my longest flight was about 14 minutes with throttle management as I had to wait for a full size glider that had to come in for a sudden
landing. With the Behotec 220 and all three tanks full I usually have 10 minutes from start-up (without a taxi tank) to shut-down. I fly
very scale and rarely fly at full throttle.
Hi Tor,

How do you find the Behotec 220 in comparison to the Jetcat 180 you had? I have a 180 in mine (the scaled down 200 version) and I love it but the 220 looks like a decent engine.

Regards,

Craig.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM
icepilot

Hi Craig - the Behotec is fantastic! Much better throttle response and curve, low fuel consumption, simply a better, more modern
turbine. My 180 was also a special version from Jetcat, but flying is a new experience with the 220, and verticals never looked so good!
It scares me to fly at full throttle on a low pass right in front of myself, though - that thing is a rocket now, and I will fly smooth not to overload it...
Regards, Tor
Old 08-04-2014, 03:27 AM
Mach5M5

Hi Doug! Congratulations on your maiden - and the choice of turbine!! In what situation does your F-16 get tippy? Taxing/Takeoff roll/Landing? I have never had this problem except
if I turn hard when taxing. As you know I only use full flying stabs as my controls, no ailerons or flaps - could you be overcompensating? Describe when this happens to me, OK?
Tor
The 220 is the perfect combo for the F16 for sure. Mine is an older kit so heavier than the G2 birds. As for the tipping it occurs near the end of the rollout on landing with a gusty crosswind. She sits pretty nose high as the front strut does not compress much so it tends to wheelbarrow or ride on the front wheel and then roll downwind enough to start a yaw that causes it to tip onto the wingtip and then turn into the wind. I have tried using a very low brake setting right from touchdown and this keeps it stable enough most times. Are your brakes on down elevator or on a seperate control? I suspect that if I keep up elevator to reduce the load on the front tire it will reduce the tendancy. My tire pressures are 85 on the mains and 65 on the nosewheel. I have no issues off grass.

BTW I am experimenting with my control setup to have more stable and controllable high alpha and have noted that the missile rails really affect high alpha flight. I am not going to install some small tip plates to see the effect. I am also going to put more rudder into the mix for high alpha only.

Cheerio; Doug
Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 AM
icepilot

Hi Doug! You say that the plane is sitting nose high - did you follow the procedure to get the correct pressure in your main gear? I have an air pressure of 110 psi in the legs,
this feels quite hard, but that's what it takes to 1: Absorb a hard landing and 2: not start yawing on a somewaht fast landing. My plane is sitting quite parallel to the ground with
main wheels pumped up to 95 mm diameter. I would also not touch the ailerons during roll-out. I find that the perfect condition for high alpha is a quite strong, steady wind straight
down the runway, I turn into the wind at idle and throttle up as soon as I see the wind getting hold of the plane, I have flown across the entire runway with a 45 degree nose high in
those conditions. It doesn't need more than the 60 mm elevator to perform this My brakes are on down elevator. I let the plane roll out quite a long way before braking, but this of
course requires a long runway. I always apply the brakes like an ABS brake, pumping it carefully on and off. If you hold them in, the plane will start yawing.

Cheers, Tor
Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Mach5M5

Hi Doug! You say that the plane is sitting nose high - did you follow the procedure to get the correct pressure in your main gear? I have an air pressure of 110 psi in the legs,
this feels quite hard, but that's what it takes to 1: Absorb a hard landing and 2: not start yawing on a somewaht fast landing. My plane is sitting quite parallel to the ground with
main wheels pumped up to 95 mm diameter. I would also not touch the ailerons during roll-out. I find that the perfect condition for high alpha is a quite strong, steady wind straight
down the runway, I turn into the wind at idle and throttle up as soon as I see the wind getting hold of the plane, I have flown across the entire runway with a 45 degree nose high in
those conditions. It doesn't need more than the 60 mm elevator to perform this My brakes are on down elevator. I let the plane roll out quite a long way before braking, but this of
course requires a long runway. I always apply the brakes like an ABS brake, pumping it carefully on and off. If you hold them in, the plane will start yawing.

Cheers, Tor
Thanks for the info Tor. I have my main struts at 110 psi as you mentioned and they are fully extended but the nosewheel strut has such a stiff spring it does not compress even with full fuel. As a result it sits at full extension. My kit was bought used but unbuilt last year and dates back to 2008 so I was wondering if the spring rate has changed over the years. I see some sit quite level while others sit nose high like mine does. I may trim the spring a bit this winter to level it out.

The high alpha flight is quite fun but I normally run ailerons elevator and found that it does not offer good roll control. I now have a condition that starts at 70% up elevator and changes the control to tailerons and a small amount of rudder. This is working well but still does not offer the best roll control. I am sure some enhancement of the roll inputs to the tailerons will work help but I am making small changes to see the effect. I will test some wingtip endplates tomorrow and see if they enhance the high alpha roll stability. As I recall you are flying tailerons only...is this correct? Do you have any rudder mix for high alpha?

The new G2 is much lighter and I think I may have to bite the bullet and order a new one with a more visible colour scheme as the grey is tough to see at times and that is my only complaint. What a great plane.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 AM
icepilot

I actually forgot, but I did shorten the nosewheel strut spring by quite a bit on my first 2 planes and then pulled it out a little again to make it softer - it is essential
that the plane sits level, or else you are bound to get a cartwheel/yaw landing which will kill your wing tips.. I don't have any mixing for high alpha, but found out
with my first F-16 that the authority of the elevators were affected by the use of the ailerons on the wings, they are probably blanking the elevator when at a high
angle. The roll rate and even the roll path is very good with tailerons only, and, like I have stated before, this plane doesn't need flaps as long as you keep the
correct angle on finals. The G2 is incredibly easy to fly and land, so I can recommend a change in the future!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSwLviptSIU&list=UUAmJz9LY5cod231UZ2QMMxg Here's a little video of my first F-16 and my second attempt at high alpha with the GBooster 160 - slightly underpowered

Last edited by icepilot; 08-05-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Mach5M5

I actually forgot, but I did shorten the nosewheel strut spring by quite a bit on my first 2 planes and then pulled it out a little again to make it softer - it is essential
that the plane sits level, or else you are bound to get a cartwheel/yaw landing which will kill your wing tips.. I don't have any mixing for high alpha, but found out
with my first F-16 that the authority of the elevators were affected by the use of the ailerons on the wings, they are probably blanking the elevator when at a high
angle. The roll rate and even the roll path is very good with tailerons only, and, like I have stated before, this plane doesn't need flaps as long as you keep the
correct angle on finals. The G2 is incredibly easy to fly and land, so I can recommend a change in the future!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSwLviptSIU&list=UUAmJz9LY5cod231UZ2QMMxg Here's a little video of my first F-16 and my second attempt at high alpha with the GBooster 160 - slightly underpowered
Nice video of high alpha...with a 160! Nice control and the need for more power on recovery is evident. Thanks for the info on the nosewheel height. I will get at that soon. What does your G2 weigh in at dry? My G1 is 37 lbs with the 220 and no armament.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 AM
Craig B.

Hi Craig - the Behotec is fantastic! Much better throttle response and curve, low fuel consumption, simply a better, more modern
turbine. My 180 was also a special version from Jetcat, but flying is a new experience with the 220, and verticals never looked so good!
It scares me to fly at full throttle on a low pass right in front of myself, though - that thing is a rocket now, and I will fly smooth not to overload it...
Regards, Tor
Hi Tor,

Thanks for the feedback. Did you order your engine directly from Behotec?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM
icepilot

No, we have a guy here who builds planes (world class - he is building for Ali M and Airworld) - he ordered 8-10 turbines after taking orders from the guys in the club here,
and got a reasonable price and fast delivery.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Craig B.

Ah you would be referring to Trond I assume. How do you find the electronics on the behotec?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Mach5M5

I have flown the 100f, JB180gold, JB220 and never had one issue with anything. The Projet ecu is excellent and the throttle response, power and economy are first class. I purchased from Peter at Altecare rc and his support is excellent.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Craig B.

Thanks for the info. I have always used jet cats but been having major dramas with a 180 rx so looking at alternatives. No local agents here so would have to buy OS.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:03 PM
icepilot

I have been extremely satisfied with everything about the 220 - it is the best turbine I have ever had! And yes, I am talking about Trond! He tries to talk me into getting an Airworld model, but I tell him that they would have to make an F-16!!
How do you know about Trond down under?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, been slowly getting the plane ready for the maiden flight. But I hit a major problem today. I have both my saddle tanks in the bird and was filling them up when all of a sudden the right saddle tanks starts pouring out fuel. It leaked all over the inside of the jet and soaked everything. I quickly pulled the tanks out of the jet and soaked up the fuel inside the jet. I put the tanks on my driveway and got a video for you guys.

In the video the tank is already half full. As you can see as soon as fuel starts transferring to the other tank it starts leaking. It starts leaking through very small little holes. About 5-9 little holes. Enjoy the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiLyzEqci68&feature=youtu.be
Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 AM
icepilot

I am sorry about your tanks, and also sorry that I didn't tell you that I had a similar problem with one of my saddle tanks on my last F-16 -
I tested the tanks with water (like I always do), and noticed the tiny holes. I cleaned the tanks with acetone, sanded them a little and mixed
a batch of epoxy and squeezed into the holes, then mixed in a filler in the epoxy and put a layer of that over the entire area where the holes
were. It holds up just fine, even on a hot day when I fueled the plane and the tanks were balloning from the pressure and the heat.

I would fix this myself instead of waiting a long time for new tanks, but you will have to clean out the tanks with a lot of alcohol or a solvent
that gets rid of all the fuel residue.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM
MNModels

Hi,

Sorry about this problem. We will send you a new right tank asap... Pls pm adress details.

Rgds
Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Craig B.

I have been extremely satisfied with everything about the 220 - it is the best turbine I have ever had! And yes, I am talking about Trond! He tries to talk me into getting an Airworld model, but I tell him that they would have to make an F-16!!
How do you know about Trond down under?
Hi Tor,

I do my homework....I think I have watched every jet DVD since VHS became redundant! His name has cropped up several times and I know he built Ali's airworld F100 that flew at Florida Jets and a few others like it...3 in one year if I am not mistaken....nice model. Before I buy a model I do as much homework as possible to find out who is operating them, who built them and what their experiences have been. The good builders' names get out there I guess through modern media.

I also like to keep an eye on what the leading people in the hobby are using by way of equipment....my way of keeping current. I have noted with interest your comments about the JB220....seems like a good engine. Is anyone in your club running the Kingtech engines, especially the 180 or the 210? What is your opinion there? PM me if you prefer.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:57 AM
dubd

Originally Posted by Westwindpilot86
Hey guys, been slowly getting the plane ready for the maiden flight. But I hit a major problem today. I have both my saddle tanks in the bird and was filling them up when all of a sudden the right saddle tanks starts pouring out fuel. It leaked all over the inside of the jet and soaked everything. I quickly pulled the tanks out of the jet and soaked up the fuel inside the jet. I put the tanks on my driveway and got a video for you guys.

In the video the tank is already half full. As you can see as soon as fuel starts transferring to the other tank it starts leaking. It starts leaking through very small little holes. About 5-9 little holes. Enjoy the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiLyzEqci68&feature=youtu.be
You are over pressurizing your tank. I had the same issue. You have three options. 1.) Reduce the pump voltage on your pump. 2.) Add a small tank that Ts into the saddle. I used a 16oz Dubro tank. 3.) Do 1 and 2, which is what I did and never had a leaky tank again. This can happen with any tank and from any manufacturer.

You can easily repair your tank with fiber glass cloth and resin.

Last edited by dubd; 08-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:56 PM
icepilot

Hi Dubd - mine leaked right out of the box, and even with some overpressurizing on all my other tanks, I have never seen a leak, so I assume the tank
had small pinhole leaks from the factory - if the tank was tight at first, you would see a clear ballooning and it would usually (as we have seen in other
tanks up here) rupture along a glue line where the two parts were joined.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:15 PM
dubd

Tor, I too have had tanks with pinholes. My point was that his setup is creating a high pressure situation and the fix is easy.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM
icepilot

Hi Craig - we have several Kingtechs in the club, I have no specifics on them, but as far as I have heard, all the guys are happy with them and I haven't heard of
a single problem so far. The picture shows Trond at Jetpower Norway this year lying in a circle of Airworld models he built the last couple of years!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	G0030623.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	2024602  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.