Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:47 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Hi Dave:
Thanks for the call and I have not seen your plane on the Fresno page can you post one here,, Thanks,,, Dave
Old 09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Mavpro

Now, suddenly it all makes sense. Even the full size F-16 suffers due to the enormous inlet. When reaching top speed, the inlet creates drag i.e the engine cant't swallow the air fast enough. Looking at the BVM Bandit, one can see the clever, relatively small inlets (especially compared to the D/F airframes BVM had along at the time when the Bandit first hit the market -Maverick, Aggressor + +), ment to become a #1 turbine sports plane. Since the turbine needs much less intake air to produce thrust, compared to a D/F model, I now see this as very smart: leave the top cover off, helping the air not swallowed by the engine escape more freely. I remember the first BVM F-16 as a turbine conversions without full by-pass installed. I read about one which lost its top hatch, causing the model to loose lift created by the fuse. Some ment that the hatch was lost due to wing flexing, but I totally agree with those who ment this was caused due to increased pressure inside the airframe, because there was no by-pass tube inserted (I tried to flex the wings on my BVM F-16, and believe me: the airframe was solid as concrete due to the best formers on the market (end grain balsa, doubled using C/F -why don't all the other manufacturers give us these, instead of the bad plywood ones?) IF the wing would flex, this would not let the hatch area flex at all, causing the hatch to blow off. Those BVM formers break before they flex. I'm going to make sure my top hatch is well secured before flight...
Old 09-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan

Hi Dave:
Thanks for the call and I have not seen your plane on the Fresno page can you post one here,, Thanks,,, Dave
Hey Big D,
I didn't take any pictures of my F-16 at the meet, or even the build for that matter. Anyway, it got sold at Fresno and I have another one on its way to me right now. I don't think I will build the new one any different then the last, the CG was perfect and it flew incredible. The rudder mod that I did held up perfect and was able to let me fly full throttle with the P-180 for an entire flight......more then enough power and pushed that big bird around much faster then I thought.....still giving me 9 minute flights, that thing holds some serious fuel. The gear worked as good as it looks, making this baby an absolute blast to fly and land. I'm sure you will love yours, give me a call back sometime it would be good to talk to you. I left my cell number on your answering machine, if you didn't write it down let me know and I will call you back.
Take care,
Dave
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM
A343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave Presta

A343:Are you way off? Not going to answer that. The only hole in your theory is that the performance is greatly improved on the takeoff roll where you do not have excess incoming air to "choke" the engine, nor is this the case in nose high slow flight. I do not intend to support my theory or disprove yours, the fact still remains that the performance "is what it is" with and without a fully bypassed setup, whatever the reason.
My statement stands as I posted, I do not fully bypass engines and MY reasons are from MY experience from flying the same plane/engine with and without the bypass cover and have enjoyed a dramatic increase in performance with the cover removed. Why EXACTLY? I don't really care to but heads with what other "experts" think.
Good luck,
Dave
Dave
I'm sorry if you in anyway feel that my posting have offended you. That was NOT my intention!
Regards
Thomas
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Dave Presta

ORIGINAL: A343

ORIGINAL: Dave Presta

A343:Are you way off? Not going to answer that. The only hole in your theory is that the performance is greatly improved on the takeoff roll where you do not have excess incoming air to "choke" the engine, nor is this the case in nose high slow flight. I do not intend to support my theory or disprove yours, the fact still remains that the performance "is what it is" with and without a fully bypassed setup, whatever the reason.
My statement stands as I posted, I do not fully bypass engines and MY reasons are from MY experience from flying the same plane/engine with and without the bypass cover and have enjoyed a dramatic increase in performance with the cover removed. Why EXACTLY? I don't really care to but heads with what other "experts" think.
Good luck,
Dave
Dave
I'm sorry if you in anyway feel that my posting have offended you. That was NOT my intention!
Regards
Thomas
Thomas not at all, please don't take my bold text as being mad. I was merely trying to get the point across that my statements were only my opinion and that many others will have their own as well. Some people speak on this forum as if it were gospel and feel that if someone thinks otherwise then it is a challenge. This is not the case, and my experience has let me to believe what I posted, others will have similar findings with a totally different outlook.
Hope you all the very best,
Dave
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What works better JC 180 or JC 200 in the skymaster 1/6 F16?

Thanks for any info you can provide
Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
icepilot

Go with the 180 - 160 is plenty, 180 is overkill and 200 is insane...
Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Mavpro

Last week I received the light-set and speedbrakes from details4scale. I'm impressed, not only by the superb speedbrakes, but also since there is a complete set of lenses for all the lights. Also a very smart electronic unit for the light system. I'm very happy that this mfg is out there for us! Now I'm also planning on the new canopy-function set + the nozzle. Anyone who did this mod on their Falcon?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 AM
icepilot

Mav - check with me before you make the nav lights on the intake.

Tor
Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,

what lighting systems are you using in your F16's....I am aware of the electrodynamics system, flugmodellbau system and the details4scale systems.......your comments would be appreciated.

Dave....where was your c of g?

Thanks,

Craig.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM
icepilot

Craig -
I am using the system from Flugmodellbau with the landing light, the intake duct nav lights, one strobe on
top of the fin and one strobe at the back of the fin as well as the afterburner ring - looks great in the air!

I got my set from Todd at Dreamworks.

Tor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79646.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1044806  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

The details4scale are just high intensity LED's with some lenses and a controller, they're hard to see in the daylight.
I bought the Flugmodellbau lights for my L-39 and they are MUCH brighter, however they're $400 vs the $200 for the lights from details4scale, so I guess it's whatever your budget will allow.
BRG,
Jon.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:50 PM
icepilot

That's right, Jon - to be able to really see these lights, even in sunshine, you need the Luxeon
emitters, standard high intensity LED's are not bright enough.

Tor
Old 10-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Craig B.

Thanks guys regarding the lighting. That's what I suspected would be the case.

regards,

Craig.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Craig B.

Can anyone give a comparison between the flugmodellbau system and the electrodynamics systems in terms of brightness and ease of install?

Thanks,

Craig.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM
icepilot

Although I haven't seen the Electrodynamics system personally, I can see on their website
that the lights do not have cooling tubes, and I am certain that they are high intensity LED's.
These are, as I stated earlier, not bright enough to look good in daylight/sunlight.

All Luxeon emitters have cooling - there are quite a few guys here using it, and the only
systems good enough so far are Flugmodellbau and the new Jetcat lights that we saw at
Jetpower - these can also be controlled by the Jetcat ecu.

Tor
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Craig B.

Thanks Tor,

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Regards,

Craig.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Marksplanes
Banned

I called Andy at Electrodynamics and asked him what his lights were because I bought some and was curious and he told me all he uses is Luxeon Emitters which use a heatsink that is shrinkwrapped therefore no cooling tubes are needed.

I looked them up and sure looks like luxeons on the site.

[link=http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=1]http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=1[/link]

This is what I have from Electrodynamics

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16188.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1045363  
Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
icepilot

No offence to Electrodynamics - I have several of their great products in my other planes, and as long as they
are luxeon emitters, the output will be similar to what I have on the F-16 and my Panther.
I was just surprised that they have what seem to be smaller heat sinks - which will only be an advantage for us!

Tor
Old 10-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Dave Presta

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Dave....where was your c of g?

Thanks,

Craig.

I used 210 mm back from the leading edge. This was measured at the root with a full UAT, gear down, and with the wing balancing at Zero.
Hope that helps,
Dave
Old 10-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Craig B.

Hi Dave,

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Craig.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
MarineMav

[8D] Hello all, Just wanted to say that I just ordered a SM 1/6 F-16 and I'm really looking forward to getting it! I read every post in this thread last night and I must say, I've learned a lot! Just want to thank you guys in advance for having to figure out so much the hard way! I'm sure I will have questions but I did my best to take notes last night so I don't ask something that has already been covered previously. I've noticed that one big question that is asked a lot is, 'When is your maiden?" Well, I can tell you now, mine won't be for a while. I'm in Iraq right wrapping up a year so I still have about a month before I get home. I plan to take my time and do it right (with the help of all you experts of course.) Another question that is asked a lot is what paint scheme are you going with, well this was an easy one for me. I'm going with the Shaw AFB (SW) scheme. I was born on Shaw, been stationed there a few times and as a military defense contractor, I currently work on Shaw (when I'm not in Iraq of course.) I'm around these jets all the time and I went with the F-16 because not only could I get it in the SW scheme but my father was also a crew chief on the F-16 as well as the B-52 and the F-4 before finally switching to the F-16. Can't wait for SM to release the AV-8 as well, not only did I serve in the U.S. Air Force but I also served as a U.S. Marine right out of high school with a total of 11 years of service between the two. Look forward to talking to you all and getting to know you all better. All the best.

Tim
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM
icepilot

Tim - you will love this plane! I now have approx. 90 flights on mine, and they have all been fun!! (Except for the time
I had a rudder flutter..!!!!) Remember to do the rudder mod, and you will be one happy pilot flying this model! What
engine will you be putting in it - 160 N is good, 180 N is better for high alpha and verticals! Now take care this last month
and get home to that beauty!! Good luck!

Tor
Old 10-09-2008, 01:46 PM
MarineMav

Tor,

I'm pretty excited about it, to be honest, I don't know what I'm more excited about, building it or flying it?!?!?! Thanks for the rudder reminder, I will make a special note on that. As for the engine,I will more then likely go with the 180. I think it will work great for what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

Tim
Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Mavpro

Anyone using the lights from D4S? I noticed there are two outputs for Luxeon lights on the control unit. I'm wondering if I should use these outputs for the inlet lights. Dave, if you are reading, please advice

MarineMav: I live in Bodoe, northern Norway, and I grew up during the "cold war". During these years, my father worked as Crewchief on the F-86K, and later the F-104. One can say that my kindergarden was the 331 squadron base. A very special feeling, beeing around those fantastic planes almost every day. Fighter jets somehow lives inside you this way. Dad quit just before the first F-16's arrived, but my interest kept growing for these jets. My first one was the BVM F-16. I loved it, mostly because of the fantastic quality in the kit itself, but also the way it performed. Now, I'm working on this SM kit, and you believe me when I say you're gonna love it also during building. Good luck, and take care. BTW: I'm installing the JetsMunt Merlin 160. Nice engine @ nice price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.