Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fadec ecu questions.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fadec ecu questions.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:42 AM
mcjustis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fadec ecu questions.

Okay, here's my situation. I have a homebuilt 60 mm turbine. I want to fly with it. I need (according to AMA) an ecu. The fadec from Nades electronics seems to be what I need at the price I can afford. Manual start, egt, rpm. My questions are: What is the difference between the Fadec kit for the KJ and the MW? I know what the KJ and MW are, but why is there a difference in magnet sensors? What measurement is used to determine which one to go with? Is it shaft diameter? That magnet ring with the KJ fadec kit, does it just go on the shaft and the nut thread down over it? The shaft at the compressor end of my turbine is .250" . I also have a flightworks pump. Is this compatible? Is the Fadec used on the Wren turbines? If so, I guess I need not ask about their reliability. I'm sure these are baby questions to most of you, but this ecu thing is new to me.
Thanks for any help with my questions guys.
Martin
Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Fadec ecu questions.

ORIGINAL: mcjustis

Okay, here's my situation. I have a homebuilt 60 mm turbine. I want to fly with it. I need (according to AMA) an ecu. The fadec from Nades electronics seems to be what I need at the price I can afford. Manual start, egt, rpm. My questions are: What is the difference between the Fadec kit for the KJ and the MW? I know what the KJ and MW are, but why is there a difference in magnet sensors? What measurement is used to determine which one to go with? Is it shaft diameter? That magnet ring with the KJ fadec kit, does it just go on the shaft and the nut thread down over it? The shaft at the compressor end of my turbine is .250" . I also have a flightworks pump. Is this compatible? Is the Fadec used on the Wren turbines? If so, I guess I need not ask about their reliability. I'm sure these are baby questions to most of you, but this ecu thing is new to me.
Thanks for any help with my questions guys.
Martin

the difference is the size of the speed sensors for the rest they are the same
you will need indeed a spinner that holds a magnet.
the magnet disc delivered with the fadec is a round 10mm magnet disc that needs to go inside the spinner.
it can not be placed under the spinner or used as a normal metal disc.
you need to lathe your spinner to recieve the disc.
i asume the shaft is 6mm threaded , you can also look for a wren spinner that has allready the magnet implemented.
the flightwork pumps are ok for the fadec.
they are a bit agresive in acceleration but you can use similar settings.
if you want a smooth transit in runs you need a hausl ZP28028.
just get the kj66 sensor or anything that will also do the job.
also check my page for some more info about the parts:
http://www.digitech-turbines.com/sho...s/dept_26.html
Old 10-12-2006, 07:03 AM
mcjustis

Thanks Sandor,

The machining is not a problem on the spinner. I appreciate your help.
Martin
Old 10-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

very reliable.....
one difference would be the RPM the Wren max is 160K and (if I remember) the KJ is around 123... I don't know if that ceiling is user adjustable in the kit or is hard coded (of course, you can always go lower.....)

Old 10-14-2006, 11:35 PM
mcjustis

I ordered the kj 66 manual start kit from Nades Electronics on Thursday Oct 12. I have not received anything about paying. They said they would contact me when the order is ready to ship. Is this normal? Just curious,
Thanks,
Martin
Old 10-16-2006, 10:01 PM
rcav8tr

HI Wayne

The RPM limits on the Fadec are user adjustable.

Martin

Did you order an inteface cable as well? Well worth the cost as it will allow you to do the setups on your computer instead of through the hand held device. We stock them if you need one.

Sincerely,
Ed
Old 10-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, up to the limit set by the particular manufacturer...but you wouldn't want to use a Wren fadec (160K) on a KJ66.....
Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 PM
mcjustis

Thanks for the response guys, I talked to Gaspar today and he says the manual Fadecs are being built now. About two weeks for delivery. Another question, I'm ordering a 60mm wheel from Phil Heward and was wondering about the max rpm. I think he says 148,000 on the Wasp engine (also 60mm) he made. I also read something on here about a Wasp wheel blowing up. I read in the thread about the Wasp that turbine tip speed was too high, I think I calculated 1039 mph, when I calculate the tip speed for the kj66 and figure back to my 60 mm wheel I get an RPM of about 138,000. By the way, I'm getting a little over 11 lbs with a homemade wheel turning about 105,000. I'm only getting a cast one because Poppa AMA says I need one. Am I splitting hairs with the turbine tip speed? Just wondering, enlighten me please...
Martin